Skip to main content

tv   LIVE Special BOS Budget and Finance Committee  SFGTV  June 23, 2016 12:00pm-2:01pm PDT

12:00 pm
this. [applause] i'm so gratifyed to be here because the thing that i want to talk about is the thing i talk about every place i go and that is what is happening with people of color in the country and why it is so important to every asspect of the country we get that agenda right. between the conversation you had about workforce and before conversation about racial bias in the workplace and i thought it was important to take a moment to step back before we started talking about racial bias and think about what is happening in the country. what is hap ing in the state of california. what will define the first part of the 21 century. i'm convinced it will be the nation changing demo graphic. when we think about it, we know california is way ahead of the nation in terms of becoming a place in which the
12:01 pm
majority are people of color. 73 percent of all children under 18 in california are of color, native american, asian, latino, african american. the united states is gradually getting there and will get there a little more quickly than they think. by twen 4 the mu jrt of people will be people of color. [inaudible] the majority of all bobbies born in the country since 20s 12 are people of color. the majority och girl babies born are women of color. when we think how soon [inaudible] it will be earlier than 2044 because the people who will be buying homes, sending children to public schools, the ones who have stake in the game, that young group will be of color in the whole nation very soon. as we
12:02 pm
think about how it is that women are going to make a difference geing forward it is clear we have it think about women but have to understand what is happening to women of color because we are at a point in which the nation can see its future and it is a 17 year old black girl. it is 12 year ot olds latina or 7 year old mong girl. what happens will determine the state the nation, therefore, we have it think about an agenda that builds full inclusion, can tap all of those assets that these young wem squn male counter parts bring to the conversation. we have to think how it is in everything we do we craelt pathways for those on home the nation is dependent. when we are looking at the
12:03 pm
circumstances though, we have a huge challenge because at the same time we are experiencing this extraordinary demo graphic shift, inequality has become massive, vast and toxic. it is not just inequality that we have to worry about. inequality at some level we know will be with us, but it is the toxic inequality that created a crisis. we are at a point where toxic inequality is hollowing out the middle class. it is baking in poverty and stalled mobility. the things that have really been hall marks for the nation that provides itself on providing opportunity are being severely threatened as inequality is becoming baked in. there was a time when economist thought inequality is good for growth but that is out the window and joe [inaudible] and robert rice
12:04 pm
and others made it very clear the level and type and characteristics of inequality we are experiencing now is size and growth. even the international monetary fund did a study and looked at 100 countries and found for every 10 percent decrease in inequality there was 50 percent lessening in the growth period. a good friends of my [inaudible] did a similar study in the united states looking at 100 regions across the united states and found every 10 percent decrease in inequality there was 50 percent lessening in the period of growth. when we think about it, this notion of equity, really essential for the future the nation and when i use the term equity i mean just and fair inclusion into a society in which all can participate, prosper and reach full potential. when we think about equity we often think
12:05 pm
about the fairness part of it. we think in the way that i just described it, but when you look at the inequality problem, when you look at the shifting demo graphics, it becomes clear if we get the equity agenda right , we get the nation right. equity is the antidote to inequality and we think that equity is the superior growth modfrl the nation. the organization that i work for, policy link has something on our website which i guarantee you will enjoy playing with called the national equity atlas. it looks at 150 regions across american . the first narrative tellathize story about changing demo graphics so you can go to whaerfb area and see the eshifting demo
12:06 pm
graphics. the next lists 32 indicators of economic wellbeing and broken down by race you can look at the economic indicators and see how american people are doing and people of color in particular. the last part is the punchline. what it does is looks at what would be the impact on the gdp if we got rid of racial disparity in termoffs income? if the curve of income did chbt have [inaudible] the people make thg lowest there are no difference on race and same with highest. the gdp would be 2.1 twillian dollars hire every year. in 2012, in the san francisco bay area the gdp would have been 117 billion dollars hires. not only is
12:07 pm
equity important for fairness and justice and inclusion it is the spear yor growth model. i think it is clear we need it get this agenda right not just for emwithen of color and people left behind but for everybody. it reminds me of the curb cutter effect. you go the curb cuts, they are there because of the people with disabilities particularly those in wheelchairs. they are there because even though people with disabilities have been able to get legal rights the legal rights were hobbled if people couldn't maneuver to the knhunties to get jobs. those curb curtss how many times you pushed a baby carriage and so glad it is there and didn't have to pick unthat contraption? how many times workers push carts and have the load lightened because of incurb cuts? how many times do
12:08 pm
people relax as the new bike rider 7 or 8 truversing the sidewalk and not riding the street? that is a example where wh we get something right for those most vulnerable it cast cades up. we get it right for those most vulnerable and get it right for everybody. the same is true if you think about the bike lanes. the bike laneerize there because of the vulnerability of people on bikes but in cityarve city where the bike laneerize installed traffic accidents have gone down. you get it proith for those most vulnerable you get is right for everyone. the bike lanes organize the traffic in ways we didn't know it has to be organize. the curg cut effect that will be in effect if we get the equity agenda right. what does tatyke get it right? we know a large part is people
12:09 pm
who go to work every day shoulden be poor. we need to lift that up as a value. we need to grow good job jz invest in entrepreneurship with the people who will hire those who need jobs most, women and people of color tend to higher women and people of color. whelan latino, asian, african american are 3 times more likely to start business but are not able to start businesses , [inaudible] we need to grow good jobs. we need to make sure we lift the wages for jobs. people should make living wage jobs with the benefits you heard about. when we do that we don't just help those being left behind, we help everybody. we need to build capabilities. our girls need stem education and need to
12:10 pm
be ready for 21 century jobs and everybody needs to getting the higher education what it take tooz be effective in the society in the workforce. by 201848 percent of all jobs require at least associates degree. only 28 percent of black people, 28 percent of latino and foreign born have a associate degree. we have to invest making sure the education is available to the people who we depend on. we have it to make sure we expand opportunity. we live sadly in a nation in a state, we live in a environment where you live is a proxy for opportunity. you tell me your address and i know way too much about your chances. i know whether or not if you are lucky enough to own
12:11 pm
a home and value you can pull out. i know if your children are likely to go to a good school. i know if you live near a job or public transit system that can connect to jobs and know how long you will live and how well you will live. tell me your zip code and i can tell your life expectancy, that is wrong. we need to invest in making sure [applause]-that people in low income do not have to live in communities that isolate them. we need to invest in those communities and make sure every community is a communityty of opportunity. north to achieve the equity goals our business community has to do a different job. we need to make sure we are hiring people, hiring people of color and women of color, high rer men of color and providing access to the people that will
12:12 pm
need it for businesses to flourish and society to flourish but it is not just hiringment we need the right circs and parental leave and childcare and all these things that allow for women to be able to thrive in the workplace no matter in the circumstance. we need corporation tooz make the right decisions it takes with sensibility of who is doing the governance. we need to think about this though, what are the services, what are the products produced by businesses? we need grocery stores in low income communities and things that allow for families to be able to reach their full potential. all these things require we have a vastly different population in our businesses. people who understand the challenges that are prepared to go forward. when we have a public policy debate in this country we look
12:13 pm
to our business leaders to be leaders to step up and write public policies. it is not just those working for social change to speak out for childcare and speak up for living wages. it is not just people for social change that have to speak up affordable housing that allows families to connect to opportunity and jobs. business leaders have to do that as well and not until we change within the business we will have the policy partners we need. if this is what we need, a fully inclusive society, uj one that values equity, if we need to #345ick sure people that will be the future will lead the future because they need and they need and the nation needs we have to do this, mayor libby schaaf challenged about [inaudible] nobody want tooz
12:14 pm
talk about race. it is a painful thing but have to talk about race and understand with spec fity who is left behind and why and how to change it and challenge those things that have been around us and influenced us way too much. it is not until-[applause]-it is not until we have fully unleashed the potential and promise in all of us that we can unlock the promise of the nation. thank you. [applause] >> it is time a quick poll. take out your conference app, select pool and answer the questions for this mornings session. he is the boss, she is bossy. the negative way
12:15 pm
women are perceived at the office in a new app by pan teen that is vieral. it hit a nerve so we sent out to find the truth. are women who act the same as men seen differently? how do you feel as a job candidate? [inaudible] no problem. >> now listen to him. >> knroe the windows operating system like the back of my hann, no problem. >> [inaudible] the resumes ind denticle, the interviews idantical. the only difference is jendser but when it comes to who got the job-- >> better soft skills. i would say the woman was air gnt and overselling >> the female job seekers come off aggressive and rated less
12:16 pm
likable >> you are supposed to be strong to get the job and say if you are too strong you don't get it. >> you need to behave to advance in the workplace but seen negatively because that isn't how we expect women to behave. >> if you think this is just male bias, it is not. both men and women doing the hiring made the same call. >> because the level of air gns that may be okay to be a manager and there is a step above and thought she was slightly above that. >> when we reveal thd study results- >> i was surpriseed by my reaction. >> what does it say? >> we have a long way to go. >> lorienesera mackenzie. >> for more than 30 years women
12:17 pm
have out earned men in undergraduate degrees, yet despite this as we heard this morning, there are far too few women at the top and far too many women at the bottom. as mayor schaaf said this morning, let's not only look at the big reason, the reason we know pay inequity, let's look at the invisible reasons. what i will do in the next 15 minutes is give you a primer on unconscious bias so hold on. i want to start with the optical illusion. look at squares a and b, how many people think squares a and b are the same color? how many of you think they are different colors? alright. would you be surprised to learn they are the same color? what is happening is that your brain is imagine
12:18 pm
the cylinder is casting a shadow and it is filling in the blanks of what you expect to see. and like a optical illusion, bias is effect what you actually see. like you saw in the resume study in the video, the same stript can sound remarkbly different when it is enacted by a man or a woman. so, i want to give this primer today so we can join together and block not only the things we see but the things we cannot see, the invisible glue that keeps change from progressing despite all our best efforts. at the [inaudible] institute we call this see bias, block bias. because it is implicit or unconscious we have to first be able to see we ourselves are proun to this in order to then block it and insure everybody
12:19 pm
has a fair opportunity to be both a great leader and a great care giver. often when we talk about unconscious bias we talk about it asthe cognitive function like the optical illusion that makes error in our decision making. there is a booblg called blink by [inaudible] and talks about the development of expertise that enables a art dealer to tell a fake in the blink of a eye. at the end of the book gladwell talks about the fact we don't develop the same expertise about people. he took what is called, implicit association test. you can take this on line at project implicit harvard and in this test researchers wanted to get at what is inconscious and implicit because people were they were asked no longer overtly said men are smarter
12:20 pm
than women, but when they make decisions they acted as if they still were saying these things so this test gaugesiourimplis lt association. malcolm gladwell took the test of the difference between white and black people and discovered he had a moderate preference for his rife which shows biases are shared on a cultural context. it isn't men do iting to women or people doing it to people of color. it is shared context. at this point it feels like a downer. i told you it a shared cultural context and all do it even against people like ourselves so the institute asked to ask a different question, can we finds how bias
12:21 pm
embeds in people functions. in how you write a job discrepgz and interview. how you assess someones per forumance. can you look at who gets the best assignment and who gets stuck with the office house work? who is listening to in team meetings and then who gets ignoreed or overlooked? if we can identify and diagnose how bias works in those functions, we can give people a opportunities to block that. people ask what do you mean organizational function of bias. i love the resume study. in the 1980's, 5 percent of top musicians were wem squn people think do you think bias has something to do with this. they did an experiment and put up a string so the evalwaiters
12:22 pm
can not see the jendsers och the musitions. a lot of stages are wooden so if i click across the platform, the sound of my heals is enough to indicate i'm a woman so thahad to put carpet down. the introduction of this screen and the carpet meant a woman was 50 percent more likely to advance to the next round. no orchestras in the united states are 40 to 50 percent women. [applause]. here is the thing though, adaugzs still require the screen because the screen didn't eliminate bias, the screen blocked bias from effecting decision making. so, quick word about bias mpth in social science bias is considered a air in decision
12:23 pm
making. the evilwaiters wanted to choose the very best musicians possible but something they thought they knew about women and men musicians blocked the ability to make the best decision when they saw the gender of the musicians. how does this work? imagine you have a bunch of musicians coming on stage avenue 5 minutes, you are trying to look for shortcuts and information processing. you might know where someone is from and their phrip code as angela glover said. those shortcuts produce gender bias when we rely on jendser stereotypes. we heard who is a beder leader or care giver, when stereotypes around people act as some of the decision making factors, when we process a lot of information that is where gender bias happens. i will show a study similar to the video saw, the exact same resume. they sent it out to
12:24 pm
psychology departments across the country. the only difference is some get the resume with a mans name and some with a womans. i find this amusing, they go to psychology departments across the country and if you imagine the department which is bias, knowing about bias doesn't block bias. we ask how likely is your department to hire the candidate and by changing the name greatly decreasing the likelihood the woman will gehired. 80 percent of 24 mans said they would hire him. fewer than 50 percent would higher the woman. put more degrees and grants and find it difference does degrease but here is what doesn't decrease,
12:25 pm
the womans [inaudible] 4 times the statements as a man. statements like this, i need to see evidence she got the grants and publications on her own. do you hear the higher bar? this is how bias works. some candidates have to deliver more proof over and over again to have the same consideration. the second caumentd, it will be impossible to make a judgment without seeing teaching evaluations. maybeset the right criteria. maybe this comment shows we are hiring men without knowing if they are good teachers. that is leniency. you can start to hear how bias plays out in subtle ways. some people have to offer more proof and some people will get by without getting enough scrutiny. we
12:26 pm
talked about gender bias and want to show a few other studies, same audit studies that demonstrate how it works among other dimensions. two identical resumes, the only difference is one says officer och a parent teacher association. you don'ts have to be a parent to be a officer at a parent teacher association, but just indicating on a resume it will be enough to have the person considered less company tent and committed, offered a lower salary and less likely to be called back for interview. men were more likely to be called back with a higher wage. if a jaurb application has a common african american name, they are less likely to get called back and the top one, gay men are less likely than straight men to be called back for job
12:27 pm
especially in highly masicalenized context. this is regional so imagine which part this matter less and matter more. in california there is no difference. i want to take a moment and pause. these studies show one dimension, mother versus not mother. i am a wom squn asian and given the context with what is demanded, my race and gender intermix. asians are known to be very analytical which may have explained when i went to business school people wanted it be on my statistics study group. little did they know. worked for me though. when i rise to management as a asian known as very analytical and good at details that is disadventage for leadsership which requires presence and
12:28 pm
authority. remember while i talk about bias all most in a binary sense men versing women, it is multidimensional and changes context and can change across the career of a person. as we just heard, stereotypes effect the very standard we evaluate people. some people getting a higher bar and others leniency. a second dimension is demonstrated in this study. this time we have two different resumes for the position of police chief and if you think about police chief i'm like the awesome fire chief coming in today i picture a man. so, we ask what is more important for the position of police chief, more education-i think this is police academy, which probably shows my age. or more experience, i think of this as beat work. what is more pornls for police chief and with no
12:29 pm
names on the resume people say education. let's put names on-put the mans on the preferred resume and the women on the other and as predicted more education wins again. we will put the womans name on the preferred resume and the mans name on the or the one and we pick, the man. when asked why, why is this the best candidate the people say because he has more experience. in this way the criteria we use shifts to justify what is probably a gut or stereo typical response to a question. we unconsciously raise or lower the bar and shift our criteria, so how do we see the unseen? now, this is another optical illusion.
12:30 pm
how many see a old face? how many see a young face? i have this in theory in silicon valley, we only see the young face. here is quhut we know from neuro science, once you see this you cannot unsee it so i saw it a a child and adult decades later ask can still see it so my goal is help you see what is unseen you can block bias and have it be one of your actions you take. the most common way we transmit culture, replicate culture is through language. describe a top performer, behaviors and attributes. think of a specific person. in my neighborhood there is someone who organizes block parties.
12:31 pm
think of a specific person and write a few words describing the behaviors and attributes of this top performer. come with me on the experiment. this would never happen but imagine i have taken your top performer away and will show two descriptions to replace and you center to pick one. how many would place your top performer with description a? and how many will place with description b? i say 90 percent picked description b. they are written differently. description a is communal language. description b is described as a independent agent taking charge. researchers at rice university
12:32 pm
went through 400 letters of recommendation and found the more communal language use d for uration of medical director, the less likely the person was to be put forward for can daes. guess which language is used to describe women? communal language. even the sponsors of women who don't understand the autoimateic judgment will accidently disadvantage the candidates they try to advocate for. this is the type of word the researchers do. we also [inaudible] performance reviews to see the type of language used. we find it is not only agentic versus communal but something else. this is the interview study you heard earlier. the woman who toot
12:33 pm
their own horn, advocate for themselves are seen as more company tent but seen as unlikable. because they are seen as unlikable, the only candidate in that study are the highly assertive man. in fact, the very comtent woman gets fewer offers that the modest male. this is called the likeability penalty women face. the more comtent we occur the less likable, the more likable the less comtent. men it is positively correlated so more powerful the more likable. it is a narrow double bind we put women under. our solution, we need to break the tendency to rely on stereotypes when making decisions especially around
12:34 pm
people. think of the blindaditionism you can't undo bias but can block it from effecting the decision you make about people. i will give two very short answers and i hope throughout the day you will share with each other more. one, when you make decisions about people, if you first yife the criteria you are using you are less likely to rely on stereotypes. in the police chief study when they asked the next round of people in round 4 what are the criteria for police chief and they said education they were more likely to pick the woman as the top candidate. if you simply agree to bring a little process to your decision making and agree to the criteria in advance it will act like sth blind sknreen and prevent relying on
12:35 pm
stereotypes. the second thing, if it is hard for women to tell you i'm a leader in this and excellent in this without evoking the likeability penalty you can do that on her behalf. we discovered women profeshers new get lower ratings because they say are they good and expert? a professor did a experiment, in one class he introduced a woman ta as a name and second introduced her with all our expertise and published this and leads the lab and does all these things. in the condition where ehoointroduced her powerfully based on expertise she got higher ratings. if you don't know it, you can be a one person pr person for the women and people of color around you. can you vouch for their camp tense. the one can all take, get to
12:36 pm
know someone here today, powerful introduce them to another and so they have seen for their full expertise. you cannot eliminate bias but you can block it to insure we are lifting woman up and bringing them all the way to the top. thank you. [applause] >> thank you lorie. you guys can dance too if you feel more energetic. bay area woman, how are you doing? may name is [inaudible] >> we are from kaiser [inaudible] >> we need you to stand up and
12:37 pm
push those chairs in. [music in the background brx ]. i know a lot ve on fancy shoes so move out [inaudible] get your body moving and blood pumping. when we go this you go this way, if we go this way rsh you go this way. can we start from the beginning. march it out. you do as much as you can. it also helps if you [inaudible] you look good, by the way. here we go. >> very good, ladies. >> yeah, there it is. >> yeah! there you go. leg
12:38 pm
up. leg up. [inaudible] punch it out. you look good everybody. you look so good!
12:39 pm
yeah! shoulder roll, here we
12:40 pm
go. get in there. give yourself some love! thank you so much. we are kaiser and hoping you have a great day and thrive! >> are you awake? do you feel refreshed? [laughter] what a talented bunch of women, who know you could rock it out? that was fun. alright. everybody whipeing off the sweat, settling down. before
12:41 pm
we move on our graphic recorder julie [inaudible] is providing a visual interpretation of todays proceed squgz will have her drawings in the lobby later today. we have a fabulous panel discussion coming up for you, another one to lead our next discussion on leadership and visibility welcome nbc white house cur spondence, chrising. >> joining is former hodef u.s. protection agency and vice president of environment policy and social initiative of apple, lisa jackson. also welcome back to the stage cohost and mayor of oakland, libby schaaf. and a very special guest from
12:42 pm
nearby hayward welcome the 43 treasurer of the united states, rosie rios. and chris jansing, the stage is yours. >> thank you all. and thank you for coming. i'm so exsiteded to be with these women. they all worked together as one time ear another. it is like 6 degrees of separation but in addition they are womeen in fields that a lot of women found difficult to break through in, science and technology, government, level of finance. being the united states treasurer and opening wine at a cocktail party, that is my name on the 5 and 10 and 20 dollar bill. they say that is my moms
12:43 pm
signature. >> is their name too so they use it all the time. we want to talk today about what is means to be in a leadership role, what the visibility means, both the proand cons. i want to start with big picture question and go through all 3 quickly. how has being a woman helped your career and hurt it? >> that is a great question. this position of the treasurer of the united states is a woman since 1949 and at the time president truman thought is to have a womans name on the money. it was a symbolic gesture. on the other hand the position evolved over time and before i took the job it was ceremonial so felt the need to redeem it, validate with something more substanceative. >> mayor.
12:44 pm
>> i think of two things where it helped me. one, i feel like sometimes i am under estimated in negotiations and that actually is my advantage. sometimes with even professional sports teams. and then second, when i face the tv cameras and say something like, i came to run a police department, not a frat house, people feel how serious i am. they know that statement comes from a life experience, a lived experience that is very real. i think can at to your credibility and plat form of knowledge you can speak from when you are connected from your passion and knowledge. as far as hurting me, i want to be real, breast feeding. breast feeding as a executive. to
12:45 pm
walk into had board room and have two giant wet spots on your blouss is one the hardest things. >> when i tweent the white house presidento obama said there is something in the water because so many women were pregnant. they have a great set up at the white house and sure valerie jarrett will have things to say. lisa i should give prop tooz apple because your company was named wrun of the top 5 recruiting and retaining high quality talent but for you what it meant it to be a woman? >> i think you bring yourself to everything you do from academics to work place,thality is the good. i'm a chemical engineer by training so i always felt i had a different
12:46 pm
perfective in a class full of back quh i was at school mostly guys who were studying along side me so it is a huge advantage. it can be the disadvantage because the perspective is different and don't fit the mold you have to fight to be heard and understood and not just sort of that classic moment where you say something and someone who is male says it a couple minutes later and they remember it because they say it. it is real but two sides the same coin. >> when i read you had a master degree in chemical engineering and got tight in the stomach and is that because that isn't my skill set? or because there is something intrinsic in me that says that is something women are not good at and don't do? are we still there with
12:47 pm
that? how is stem coming along? >> stem is coming but it is pipeline issue. for some time chemical engineering had a lot more females studying at the under graduate level so we are perfectly capable no surprise of doing the work. i think what is a bit disconserting is retention part because we are so-i like to use mr. slaucken and diana troy, we are taught being a scientist we have toleave all this emotion back to make good decisions and what i believe and anne-marie slaughter was on and what i believe is change the profession of engineering or science to incorporate a humanistic version. i'm a chemical engineer that works on cleaning up hazardous waste. >> i want to look at stats
12:48 pm
because i think they are telling and interaesting in the context of the last speaker and we were behind this wall and watching and it is little disconserting it see two people of equal talent and resumes going for the same jobs and the way they are perseechbceived differently. womeen earn 60 percent of masters degrees and half of law degrees. they hold all most 52 percent of professional level jobs so all great, right? here is the bad news. women are less than 15 percent of executive officers 8 percent of top wage earns and less than 5 percent of fortune 500 ceo. they hold 17 percent
12:49 pm
of fortune 500 board seats. why are women not doing better? >> it isn't just the numbers it 1 the rends i'm more concerned about. if you think about the 3 pillars of influence, let's talk about money and power piece. womeen started reteated from their participation as members of congress in 2010. the numbers started going down. the fortune 500 ceo's it wasn't from 24 last year to 21 this year and it will be 20 when we lose urlsa burns. it is the trend we should think about and don't think we growing going in the right direction. >> i can talk about politics because being in washington and on the campaign trail, wrun the most fascinating and depressing conversations i had was with someone whos job to recruit
12:50 pm
woman to run for congress and other mayor or city council and what she told me is woman and men auch approach the jobs very very differently. women go in because they want to change the world and don't want to say there are not men that don't go in for the right reasons. they go in because they want to be somebody who can be a positive force for changeism men go in maybe for that reason as well but it is power. when women especially women who they recruit for the house and senate, think about what they can get done and look how polarized washington is and know they will have to give up. we all know what price we pay for doing high level jobs. they just don't see the-they do a cost benefit analysis and don't see what could begained.
12:51 pm
maybe 20 years i'll be a committee chair and have influence. i don't know someone who run for different offices or city council, what do you see? it is applicable to a lot of places in the world, you do had cost benefit analysis and in theened you wonder if they think it isn't equal and have to do more in the other part of my life and do what jirjer rogers did compared to fred astair. so, what will it take? >> you know, i'm a fan of emerge california and emerge america. [applause] which is a organization that is helping democratic women seek first office. a lot of organizations are trying to get people into congress but you don't have qualified women to run for congress unless they start at
12:52 pm
the school board or library commission or something else. secondly, their studies demonstrate there are two big reasons women choose to not run. first, they feel too many obligations outside of the their work. their families, the home and so again, by liberating men and the rest of the society to share in those duties, will help all of us. and then secondly, women tend to need to be asked and so that is something we all can do. encourage women to see themselves as those leaders. >> i agree but why do we wait? i bragged about the fact i never went for a job and people #c5i78 to me as i made my way up to a small newspaper and radio station and television and coming to nbc [inaudible] happened to see me-i was happy
12:53 pm
working away in albaany new york and was on vacation and ais a me and made a phone call. i don't think that is as true-i have been in the business 40 years, but why do we wait to be asked? >> i think that we were trained maybe not by our caregivers but by society at large that women should be asked and i do think that changed a lot from the time when i was going through and being the only woman in class or only woman in engineering. >> i want to put all you on the spot. for all the woman who want to know how to ask how do they come to you in positions och power and leadership, what is the ask? >> i want to switch the script
12:54 pm
a little because i am tired of us blaming ourselves like you are not brave enough to do it yourself. it is really important in all areas of impact, gender is one, race is another that we stop blaming the individual actor and look at the system and us in government we often have been put in place to maintain the status quo. there are systems and practices in place that we have to disrupt if we want different outcomes. in oakland we change from having traditional election to ranked choice voting that allows a voter instead of picking one candidate to rank tupe 3 candidates and one of the
12:55 pm
things that it often results in and not saying it is not perfect but it often results in actually more politecome paining because you don't want to offend the supporters of your competitor because you want them to put you second. >> hat is so true in this campaign season. >> yeah. hello. >> that is a system change, changing the way we do elections led to more civil campaigning. >> i think it starts individually and think disruption is a big piece but i call myself a constructive disrupter. you have tobe very strategic and have to do your homework. you shouldn't ask for something and bang on the table because you deserve it because you are a woman you have to do the research you need to do to make your proposal. when i took this job i wasn't going take the job because i was a woman or a history of latina, i made a
12:56 pm
proposal and wasn't going to take it unless it was substantive enough to use my finance background. it is systemic. the treasury building was built in the 1800s and didn't have a nursing lounch. i took it on because i thought it was porpt for a woman coming back into the workplace to feel they are valued and have a place to go and can do their job. it is more than that. as you probably know i have worked on the projecktd in the last 8 year tooz put a woman on our currency. >> working on it very successfully >> this is best example of what you are talking about, i have the printing drecktder who reported to me and his deputy and his deputy and they worked at the be #2rks all most 100 years so the projject came to mind december 2008. as you
12:57 pm
look at how the [inaudible] the person on the front [inaudible] it was strange that 50 percent the population was not honored as part of our history. i ask the 3 people individually why the conversation hasn't happened before in 120 years. mean while there is over 40 countries, us and saudi arabia. the answer i got from each people individually was the same, no one ever brought it up. so, what else are we not bringing up? hash tag, bring it up. what else are we not bringing up? i know you have your phone, hash tag bring it up. i guess in that context, is there something that you lened along the way when younger women come to you or women returning to the
12:58 pm
workforce which i see a lot in the 30's or 40's because they see a lot of young women in journalism and ask what can i do. do you feel that part of your leadership responsibility is to give that opportunity to young woman and what do you tell them? >> i absolutely believe part of our job is insure diversity and for us diversity at apple but for me personally is more than gender or gender identification, but at this forum let's talk about that. meantering is important. finding sponsors for people there to help you succeed. don't confuse meantering with charity work. you have to make the valued proposition for me because there are so many people that are looking to find
12:59 pm
the right place. it is really important to know what you want so you asked about why don't we ask. i think we just need to profect asking. we need to prosquecktfect saying here is what i bring to the table and said saying, i want to work for you and here is what i can do to help you be successful while i also become successful. everyone, male and female needs to dothality >> before she wrote a best selling book there was gasps in the audience when she suggested she did not like it when someone says will you mentor me. that she felt that was somehow less than-i don't want to put words in her mouth or what do you consider with this role both in government very different types because you had to run for office, do you
1:00 pm
consider yourself a roll model and feel a responsibility in the leadership position to help other women achieve that? >> it was a great moment when a boy looked and said, can boys be mayors too? i'm like, oh my god! i was like, yes, sweetheart, they can. for me-this ties into answering your last question. my advice to young people, one is just to be very clear about your passion and mission and values. at least in my business you need a very thick skin. you got to always have the place to come back to. the other thing and this sh kind of a twist on meantering is pay attention to relationships and that can be-it is no accident rosa,
1:01 pm
rosie, we are up here together. isn't that ironic? we work together. >> a champion can be on a
1:02 pm
specific project it is project management the approach whether investment so far a firm and the due diligence process is very, very specific how you decided whether or not your investing in a project the existing conditions and now the recommendations from the limbs if you think about that in a more simplistic way how you propose a prong this is what i use when i propose this what is what you use for any type of projects this recognition inspiration taking on the ability to be able to do our homework and think about what you're doing for that champion how to affect the organization or is people around you and is inspiration what that means in terms of what you're leaving behind you if you think about what to propose a project or
1:03 pm
program and you go to someone male or female and asking them to be a champion of what you're froeps scloons you follow that path of due diligence the same way it is not failed me it kind of takes the personal stigma off of what it means with you approach a male colleague or boss is it so very, very specific and let me tell you that works 100 percent great advise weigh coming down to the final minutes what time do you get up in the morning. >> 4 o'clock 6 o'clock how how many you are hours a week do you work with your job in the with the kids in the how much you work. >> non-stop 24/7. >> i'll say on my minds wjd
1:04 pm
weekends. >> can we take anything on-stage or the black berries. >> you know she works with the government but i'm saying when i'll with any kid's two kids 100 percent with them absolutely the time i spend on weekend is 100 percent with them absolutely. >> how many hours a week do you work. >> you don't want to work i was the mayor you, you can't turn off your phone needless one time i went camping and no cell phone service i'll not do that i packed up this family and drove home something bad happened it required any attention my kids are 8 and 10-year-old and trying to figure that out time is a challenge we do talk about that has a family the fact that
1:05 pm
protesters showed up at the house is something we talked about as a family but you know they ivy had a moment i cried on the pillow i told that any husband i was bad he said you're doing a work that benefits our community and great. >> (clapping.) >> so working at apple and we know that is a great place to work 40 hours are a nice lunch break i remember those days it's true your 24/7 with you work at the high levels of government with the executive leadership i try to find the consequential u that equivalent of one full weekend day i'm not working i'll go probably say but i read a lot i don't feel and i honestly belief
1:06 pm
you're working 24/7 with our childcare's i believe that one of the things i say to woman in the guilt is there get rid of it you're putting it on yourself one more bag on our back take it. >> (clapping.) >> down and you're doing the best you can none what ask i do what i love and i've been fortunate inform leave government returning the dpa we call it we had to support each other and now i get do do that added apple i love if it i didn't love it i'd leave a lot of women have to work and what you do you do and i do crosswords and hike when i'm stressed i need to go for a walk. >> put on bouncing.
1:07 pm
>> what did you do for yourself. >> i love game of thrones i believe to a book club i'm geeky i love science fiction. >> how many hours. >> 6 and ii love to snuggle in bed with my kids. >> is that a change. >> (clapping.) >> trust me i was with any nephews 4 and 16 he was working at the wlv and they were like off oh, that was cool they were going crazy that would be uncool they show they had a great time it's been spending time with my kids having it all didn't fit anyone it tells you that none i think that is this way the rosy pie of life in san francisco any
1:08 pm
pie was many, many slices my girls and jobs i moved to d.c. that was my job and with my kids nothing else and any social life is my kids i'll go away for the weekend and a basketball team i'll travel with a basketball team or my son plaza plays tense that's what forces me for the last 8 years the noticing next year's another slice everyone need to create in their own slices so oftency r i didn't it the new word we're completely out of time i asked him to so an answer i want to leave with their answer to one question what do you wish lisa someone told you were 20. >> and answered this for oh,
1:09 pm
magazine get all the education while i want while your young life gets from the way if you are thinking of that degree get it now someone told me and to steal all my mothers jewelry. >> libby i wish someone that they told me when was 20 he is not the one for you. >> (laughter). so don't be upset because someone much better is coming along (laughter) but i do wish again you know don't forget relationships they get you through didn't have to be amiss try relationship choose our friends well and keep plugged in to that passion they'll get you, you >> you've earned your seat at
1:10 pm
the table my pet peeve i see women walker into a room and take a seat at the wall and participating in the conversation something my mom told you whatever table sit up front and close and raise your hand for a question and be prepared i tell people cut yourselves a break we all need to let ourselves know that no one is perfect i wish i learned this younger and say thank you more. >> sometimes the thing you think are the worst failures are the best. >> lizzie jackson and libby schaaf what a fantastic group the conversation about the
1:11 pm
future. >> ladies and gentlemen, please welcome anyone that needs no introduction the former mayor of the city and county of san francisco the honorable willie brown. >> good morning to each and every one of you i'm delighted that mayor ed lee and mayor schaaf invited me to come participate in the bay area women's summit it was a concept that we started many years ago in san francisco. >> and for 5 consecutive years we did the woman's and mayor submit right here with the same emphasis that those two mayors are doing for the san francisco
1:12 pm
bay area understand there is and the at least two of my chair people here linda and carol chairpersons on more than one occasion before the event. >> (clapping.) >> that was frankly spectacular it did appropriately address the needs of women and what basically, had been for a long time an attitude busy government by businesses and by operations that did not pay attention to the differences between what was done with women on behalf of women and other people and so it was fabulous to have that occur and to have those two mayors come forward now addressing the needs and the issues and to have all of you attend her in i know you'll enjoy when they extended the opportunity to
1:13 pm
me they called to my attendance attention a person that had for a long time participated and was the driver and organizing immigrant women extending care for children, and suddenly discovering that in the process of people being in an i didn't see and wet maids. >> what have you a desire to have their assistance carried over to people of a different age older people and to that end after organizing domestic workers in the state of new york she focused her attention on merging the adjudicators of care given side which is a whole new concept of for this nation they organized and caused new york to say that
1:14 pm
their shall be a domestic workers bill of rights a concept that is also in the state of california and concept that is about to happen in the state of illinois but simultaneously aribnb the right to do what you do when somebody says you're a fellow they said that about her aribnb the right to be included in time magazines one hundred greatest people or 5 hundred greatest people or whatever the number she is if i did in every one of those categories they writes and speaks and organizes and in a manner in which the energy put into it can't be impaired in any other source i should is share and video michael has done before i bring her on michael can we do the
1:15 pm
video? >> you are a wonderful enjoy full loving person. >> a father figure to me. >> you are - just gentle we care about each other an interest in each other if before i came to country i was taken care of of my grandmother i thought you can do the job. >> i took it for granted if i do anything i'll get up and go out shopping and visiting people unfortunately, it is no longer the case. >> i noticed you were changing years ago. >> after i being able to get to
1:16 pm
go outside i got the opportunity then to go places with you. >> when i got home from rehab after being unaware for over 3 medias months the first thing i saw 8 balloons you put up around my door welcoming me back and he knew i was truly home. >> i am totally honored to be a caregiver for you that is a great privilege and a enjoy for me. >> there are so many things i still carton do i don't think open you to help me the hem is given so freely what so much love and that makes me feel a lot better. >> and still test test
1:17 pm
test not only just caregivers you are nutritionist the nurse and doctor. >> your my mother davis and loved by a whole a lot of people. >> you're a doctor morris you're my patient your pediatrician, war veteran, taught me things i know would take me through the rest of my life. >> you're my community but even more than that you're my friend. >> and as much as you've done for me nothing i wouldn't do for you also .
1:18 pm
>> (clapping.) >> i am delighted to present to you the subject matter of that video and the subject matter of my aspiration engine who. >> thank you so much mayor brown what an visible honor to be introduced by you i'm humiliated and huge thanks to mayor ed lee and mayor schaaf i
1:19 pm
want to give a huge amount of appreciation for staff who's work made that possible can we give them a huge round of applause. >> (clapping.) >> i am so thrilled to be here for so many reasons i'm going to pick up where did great ann mary slaughter left off this morning and talk to you about the work that makes all other work possibly the work of kevin for the most precious elements of our lives our kids, hour homes our aging loved ones or in the case with people with disabilities our independence all of us are touched in one form or another by this work.
1:20 pm
>> in fact, if you're providing care for a family member or loved one or friend at the moment can you just raise your hand hundreds of us thank you all the work you do to care for families members that work so often goes unrecognized and unbeknownst appreciated no there is also a large and growing part of our workforce who does care and domestic work as a profession approximately 2 million women work as in an i didn't see and housekeepers and attendance in the great state of california some of them are here in the room the members leader of and the california domestic workers coalition are you here. >> (clapping.) >> huge shout out it is their job to make sure
1:21 pm
that our homes are peaceful and cared for that our aging loved one can will well in the community and people with disabilities can live independent and full lives what could be more important and yet it is some of the most unevaluated vulnerable work in our economy today, we comparing compare it to the wield west you might find an wonderful employer to stay with for years and generations at times we've seen that or you might find the other end the spectrum we've found cases of modern day slavery and sexual assault and everything in between not much but in fact, you can walk into any department building arrest neighborhood in the be sure and not know which
1:22 pm
homes are working places there is no registry, no guidelines and even as an employer if you want to do the right thing it is not a little clear what that is in fact, there is a very long history of exclusion of this workforce from some of the most basic protections that all of us take for granted in the 1930s when the new deal was negotiated in congress southern members of congress refused to support the package of lash laws if they included farm workers and others that are mostly black workers at the time so the fair laborer standards act that created the minimum wage that provided the framework for the right to form a union both passed with inclusion of domestic workers those racial exclusions with impacted by the
1:23 pm
fact that the work is not seen as real work it is associated with women's work taken for granted or expected and not associated with any real economic value so what meant for workers like elizabeth fernandez as a caregiver is 12 or 14 or arena the clock would cooking and cleaning and grocery shopping and physical work it is that hard work really hard work and she takes home between 8 and $9 per hour those wages have to stretch she has to support her children and family and the philippines and pay her own informed and rented not hard to see how we i understand windup in a situation 1/3rd of the workforce relies on
1:24 pm
public assistance just to survive how could it be that such a hardworking workforce we're counting ton to care for our families can't earn enough to take care of their own this workforce is on the front lines of tremendous change in the culture and demographics we saw how many of us are caring for families month caregiver work is done by families it is stretched today more than 60 percent of women have working outside of the home juggling full-time work with more than two hours on average of work kevin for families members on top of that and they're increasingly relying on many house cleaners and housekeepers to support their
1:25 pm
needs on top of this this year the baby boomers are turning 70 as a rate of every person 8 seconds and because of advances no health care and technology people in any grandmother demographic of 85 and older are the faster demographic in the nation and millennials that are turning 35 and having children and relying on chair mar providers and in an i didn't see to support their chair mar needs those jobs predominantly held by women more than 90 percent women often women of color and immigrant women those jobs kauntd be outsourced and for the month to month moment most people peace officer humans to care for their loved ones that may change home care is the
1:26 pm
feast growing cooperation and by 2030 caregivers will be largest in the economy we've got to transform those jobs into good jobs you can take provide in and one generation can do better than the next those workforce deserves nothing less and our families deserve to have a strong sustainable professional workforce to support our 0 growing family care needs every care job has to be a good job and fortunately, this workforce is organizing to insure that that is the case we're winning >> (clapping.) >> more than 20 years ago and
1:27 pm
right here in the bay area and cities around the country domestic folks starting coming together no church basements and centers around the country supporting one another and raising fund through selling food and organizing raffles today, we have 55 local affiliate organizations and 38 cities around the country their encourage and hard work has created a moment in history they are making history their encourage to step out of showed and into their power has led to policy victories with the package of domestic workers bill of rights at the state and municipal level. >> (clapping.) >> yes. >> illinois just became the 7 state to pass a domestic workers
1:28 pm
bill of rights and we're fighting in any other states asia municipals and thanks to the leadership of our president obama and the secretary of labor tom perps we brought 2 million home caregivers minimum wage out of 80 ners of exclusion a huge victory for working women. >> (clapping.) >> and right here in the great state i state of california the california domestic workers coalition won a bill of rights in 2013 but it has a sunset it is due to sunset and therefore this year and therefore in realtime right now as we speck there is a hearing tomorrow in fact our california coalition is working around the clock to make sure the california legislative make our bill permanent law we need your
1:29 pm
support can we count on your support. >> (clapping.) >> none of our victories would have been possible without champions for the every women in the words of organize environmental impact statement we have lots of champions in this great state of california like julie and connie and (calling names) silva lopez they truly understand what it means for every women to win they said when our solutions gun from women working in the darkest roots of economy is helps to insure that our solutions include every women so ever women a achieve her fullest potential domestic workers provide a wonderful example how investing
1:30 pm
in women particularly woman of color and protecting women provides unique sighted into the solutions for the future putting us all ahead of the curve there's a famous saying the future is now it is just unevenly distributed i sometimes refer to domestic workers as the ultimate future they're living the conditions long before a giga country lack of training and standards and lack of assess to benefits or job security those conditions used to be considered shadow working conditions as a margin of our economy today those conditions define more and more work in the american economy between thirty and 50 he is percent of our workforce will be doing non-traditional work in the next decade temporary
1:31 pm
self-employed independence contractor works the framework for works workers rights and labor standards and collective bargaining our safety net over and over social contract protects less and less of our workforce so we started to talking to workers in the giga economy some were domestic we designed principles in the care and throughout the out lying community together are a dozen tech companies we launched those as companies about r think about their platforms can say great places for the people that work there this is one example of how the examples of people like egd strengthen the conversation will the future of work and care in our economy
1:32 pm
everyone looking at the world through the eyes of domestic workers we often see the problems that we face the challenges we face and a new light in new ways to allows us to see solutions that truly do for ever women but we have a lot more work to side not just in terms of making those jobs good jobs major, major changes the way we live and work and care in this country changes that effect every woman. >> longevity the decisional revolution the changes in the racial demographics this moment of change is actually a moment for bold solutions that both meet the current momentum and look ahead to what
1:33 pm
is coming as we make progress on really critical piece of policy like raising the minimum wage and establishing paid sick leave we must challenge ourselves to keep on thinking bigger and bolder the seeds for the new social contract are being planted as we speak big ideas like new solutions to our new realities are emerging everyday like universal basic income or popularity benefits we need to make sure those ideas protect and support every women and will elevate big ideas that truly change the game for women and families like universal chair mar and elderly care how about that .
1:34 pm
>> (clapping.) >> women must drive the conversation of the social contract especially the lowest income women have the least who as a turned out maybe the least visual are already changing the world around us we need all of our voices i was so happy to see that a big theme of today's summit is about taking pledges to take action so along with that theme i want to share a few opportunities to action. >> call the governor and tell him you support of domestic bill of rights becoming permanent allow. >> (clapping.) >> second, women's organizations around the country are working together to make sure that every women is engaged
1:35 pm
in the democracy to set the agenda for that the new social contract 5 hundred kitchen table conversations with women about their experiences in the economy and getting feedback what are the policies we'll need to win in order to create economic opportunities for every women it is called we won't wait eye sign up to host a kitchen table conversation third, if you're employing a caregiver in your home take the fair care pledge pledging fair care together with the employers association hand in hand and care.org we created to raise awareness for healthy employment in our homelism 200 thousand people are taken the pledge we hope you join them and finally,
1:36 pm
the domestic workers alliance caring across generations and care.org we have launched a new coalition called who cares to bring attendance to the incredible economic and social value of care the value of care paid and unpaid the work that makes all other work possibly in our economy creating a care economy that allows everyone women and family to thrive is one of the single most important tasks of our time and it begins with each of us taken care of of ourselves taking care of our caregivers and getting involved in a movement to truly value care and the district of all work thank you so much.
1:37 pm
>> (clapping.) >> thank you so much that was wonderful are you enjoying the moreno pretty good; right? >> (clapping.) >> we have a lot more in store i'm share in a few minutes we break for lunch in you exit the hallway turn to our right a selection of two lunch options we urge to take our lunch to the break out room and share your thoughts and prepare for the break out framing those panels and discussions will begin a little 12 to 20 that is about hearing our voices and at the end we'll ask you to to post our ideas let us know the solutions you've come up with we'll collect a all of that for a post
1:38 pm
submit and answer and poll questioning question we'll share in the return in the lobby the pledge wall you'll hear more about that if you're entitled we urge to make our pledge how you will move the world forward and libby schaaf will make a small business loan and help out someone like mentoring a young we've come a long way woman anything you think you can do beginning today to help to move the world forward we want to hear from you it is becoming a living representation of collective commitment we came up with to make a difference to for now i'll say goodbye and see you right back hereafter the break out session thanks
1:39 pm
much. >> blaej please welcome back well hello, again ladies and
1:40 pm
gentlemen, there are gentlemen in the audience how was will lunch your break out session good you've gotten all the solutions of worlds problem you worked out over lunch welcome back we if you were in the break out session we want to get our finger on the pulls of you're thinking we had i want to take a mom to look at participants in a couple of the sessions respond let us begin with the xrufr women we asked which do you believe should be the priority for the workplace for women elimination of hiring and proportion and review 36 percent and right after that strong networking followed by increasing the number of women in leadership and flexible work
1:41 pm
schedules and equal pay 5 percent some i'm surprised what happened ? you wanted to be equally paid for your work don't you come on. >> well related to pay i want to jump to the dollars and cents frost a strong fire chief session we indicated the attendees when personal finance but you believe are least understood by the bay area women's summit and the responses oh, that's a big, big jump investing in stock and properties so investment people of the were least understood and existing support including tax credits formed by retirement and zero for college savings we understand what our kids need
1:42 pm
but permanent not understanding we we need for our own retirement we need to get on that in every session we asked you to express our opinion with the biggest challenge and the most pro tem solution you've heard of or thought of yourselves we'll be aggregating all the thoughts and ideas the result will be available post on the bay area women's summit website and this will be part of report we prepare coming out of the submit for mayor ed lee and mayor schaaf thank you, again for your compute and commitment and working together on this and without further ado, to open the program welcome back mr. mayor, mayor ed lee ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ in >> all right. i'm still here with all of you how you all
1:43 pm
doing. >> yeah. >> all right. well, what an exciting speaker to have all morning really spiertsd me we'll get a lot of things done today i'm honored to introduce a champion for all woman president obama senior advisors and her role is inkumbaya if owing the office of public engagement and entering government affairs to chairing the white house council on women and girls last week they hosted a white house submit the united states of women which brought together over 5 thousand women and girls from nationally to talk about the issues we've been discussing on our agenda today valerie fierce advocacy can be seen in the collaborative
1:44 pm
efforts with the timing working families agenda and being us being the first city to pay for 6 weeks of parental leave in the nation san francisco is proud to be an exemplar model for paid leave >> (clapping.) >> her work on the obama administration has helped to improve the health and prosperity and income of middle-income and low income women across the country and her doesn't the to the affordable health care act has preferred women to health coverage like preventive health care and preservation and family services that is an honor to welcome to san francisco a champion for women everywhere please welcome the honorable valerie ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
1:45 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ >> got to give the mayor a hug where is she i'm back. >> well he will valerie hello you look at terrific and work at the same place i have been on the championship campaign trail i want to talk about valerie if i can she is i think arguably the most powerful woman in washington. >> (clapping.) >> the president calls her a friend she lives a block away in
1:46 pm
chicago but in washington where reality is everything she has an office in a west wing and karl rove had that office and some woman that had that particular office wellness her name was hillary clinton. >> (clapping.) >> but what has she done with the power she's been central to the fight to raise minimum wage and criminal justice reform and chair of the council on women and girls and that's the start this little event call the united states of bay area women's summit yes last week it was amazing i hope you tuned in for that that was great so the obvious question what's the state of women that's a good question. >> i think the state of women
1:47 pm
in american is better than before what do i think i think it has that didn't mean we don't have along ways to go if you look at the history of 80 so many of women we stand we are doing better and better across the board but better so the purpose of submit last week to look at the progress we've made particularly over guess last 7 and a half years spins president obama has been in office and try to hold up best practices that we've learned as a result of our work over the last seven years and share those around the world global submit and then figure out what else can we do i was exist to talk to all of you what is the top of you're to do list. >> well, one of the areas i am
1:48 pm
particularly frustrated we're frustrated keep in mind the first bill that the president as i understand was the affairs act named after lilly. >> i that was at the white house she's there are for the bill signing what happened to literally i didn't she worked for a company for decades and no idea that she was paid less than ore counterparts this guy her buddy slipped her a note and sunshine said this is my pay she brought a lawsuit and went to the supreme court and lost the reason she lost because the way the law worked back then called the statute of limitations then have to have a case should didn't, she was discriminated against the law the president signed - but even with that law
1:49 pm
passed women have still on this aribnb $0.79 on this dollar and woman of color is less it was $0.77 when the president's signed we need more legislation called the affair - what is it called the bill important equal pay fairness thank you and what that does it prohibited employers from sdrooiment begins in the event you share your pay that's how you found out. >> it is interesting i've spent time on the campaign trail with bernie sanders the most commissioner hasz is he said women want the whole damn dollar and men in the audience men in the audience you want it for them two and the men go crazy now that's a particular kind of
1:50 pm
progressive audience; right? how important to get men and women to work together and make your case for the employer. >> right this is a good question i'm so happy to see an audience full of women and a few men brave men have to be a part of conversation the reason it is important to men, women now comprise half hour the workforce working moms are the sole breadwinners in many households to the income is more important so those issues are important not only to the women but the family and the economy we have got to pull that wage gap we'll all be better off more money disposalable and spend that money and that creates more jobs good for the economy and businesses and women we are
1:51 pm
encouraging businesses to do is to just do a survey look at our books figure out whether or not you're paying people equally request a asterisk company is it fair to say and benioff presumed he was paying everyone equal and the employees said a we're not and a $3 million skrerg we are challenging the employers to figure out whether or not you're paying equally if you pay equally in addition to being good for you the economy our workforce will be more loyal you're going to have less turnover that applies to the basket of working issue equals pay workforce flexibility and paid sick leave and paid. >> what about family and paid
1:52 pm
sick leave the president at the submit if you didn't go to it you'll find it online and great videos one of the things the president's talked about the role of men and he said our policies are straight out of mad men that people agriculture straight out of stone age. >> it is ridiculous to think we're the only development country the only one that didn't have a federal paid sick leave policy that is ridiculous we have children that get sick and parents and we get sick and does not have a national requirements paid sick leave another bill the health families that requires every family for eligible for 7 days of paid sick leave if you're sick i don't want you in my office prep my food at the
1:53 pm
water cooler i mean stay home if you can't afford to stay home and 43 million americans don't have a single sick day they're forced in the position between choosing between making a living they have to make and staying home and taking care of themselves they can't afford to lose a day pay and if they stay home they may get fired and locally we're having a harder time competing for talent because everyone in the world and in new york a great company they now have 12 months of ma tenacity and maternity sick leave and don't have to taj mahal take it all at one time
1:54 pm
because in sweden 18 months to attract people to work at the companies they found out the private sector and the government right here with mayor ed lee are fourthly that there are a workforce would be more productive more efficient and loyal less turn over in the private sector more profitable if you invest in our workforce that's the challenge what is does it take for the 21st century workplace to reflect the needs and values of the 21st century worker this is different than the stone age. >> america is the only civilized destroy country that has sick and others like neugen i didn't and we don't want to be
1:55 pm
comprehensive with that. >> companies can't afford that. >> sure they can this is what we dispelled at the submit two years ago you hear maybe that is fine fo the big companies like apple but the smaller companies can't afford we brought in a group of small businesses to talking to talk about the policies what i heard interestingly won't surprises some of us those empires care about the culture they know the family workers and someone child is sick or the parent is elderly or have the stresses outside of their home and care about the arithmetic of your workers they said it is an investment in that case itself over several fold we need to dispel the rumor you can't afford it what is better asset in a global warming comprehensive world planning
1:56 pm
than the human assets that's what you got you should have a round of applause. >> we know the role of government and how hard you've worked and the president pushed for them understanding that government a could not do everything and not get to where a lot of women feel they need to get to what do we do how about us people struggling to make ends meet or struggling with childcare or going to work sick what do you do. >> it is had a right we often talked about the fact disprorpgsz women are locking workers not choices you can speak up and have your voices heard. >> i want to interpret something you said you had a boss when you are that in corporate law that looked at you. >> yes. i did.
1:57 pm
>> i was able to side things you wouldn't other wise and i'm always single mom when my daughter was growing up i needed flexibility with media eternity leave and partners with children a four months paid maternity policy that was enprecedent thirty years ago i take advantage of that policy i looked at people who were partners in the firm that take advantage of it a lot of companies might have a good policies but the culture you don't feel you can take advantage so i think that is really important 3 companies adopt those policies walk the walk so mark zuckerberg's takes a maternity leave and he's one of the most successful people i can go home and spend time with my child what we're seeing more
1:58 pm
men are feeling a sense of responsibility to participate in the care giving that is good for the guys and recognizing that the younger generation will be healthy and more productive if we invest in that way so part of what you can do is to raise your voices if you can i'm not saying if you think you absolutely know your no a situation you can't say that that to your boss be partnering in sessions like in and vote for people that support this kind of practices you want that's the best form of citizenship the fact that unions only represent 7 perishes of private sector workforce that people's voices are often unheard they don't have
1:59 pm
>> okay, welcome back to recess for our budget and finance meeting for the san francisco board of supervisors for thursday, june 23, 2016. it's 2 o'clock and we will go into recess for another hour, see everyone back at 3. ly how many of you are lucky enough to have a vacation don't take all their vacation time - >> wow, wow so part of it operationally is on paper and part of it cultural rights part is okay what again, you look around. >> - ii think what i did on my vacation time - >> the paid leave is different and right. >> we tried to do in the white house for example, you consecutive a high place to work we work around the clock but the
2:00 pm
presidents sets the tone and cultural if you have a baby take our 3 months paid leave we'll save our spot when you come back you can hit the ground running and welcoming yesterday one of my top depths had a fever i was not happy we made her sit in siberia in the office but welcome to come in if she walked out in the middle of the meeting i want her to want to come to work she's threatened if they are baby is sick i know she didn't want to leave him bring him into the office keep him away from me. >> if you want to picture with barack obama bring your baby to the office. >> if you want t

811 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on