Skip to main content

tv   Government Access Programming  SFGTV  February 25, 2018 6:00pm-7:01pm PST

6:00 pm
and i have plenty -- i have lots of questions. >> go ahead. >> okay. commissioner bustos? >> well, one, i want to thank clark. i went to one of the sessions that you had with a room full of small businesses, and i just want to commend the work you're doing there to make that happen. it's noticed. and i just want to also thank the small businesses that are here. you represent the best of san francisco. you are community, you are here, you breath and live the spirit of st. francis, and you provide light in darkness for a lot of people, and so i just want to thank you, thank you for doing that, and keep on keeping on, because it's important, the work you're doing, because you're bringing san franciscans, giving them taunt to take pride in the work that they're doing here in our city. when it comes to the issues
6:01 pm
around the warriors stadium, you know, i hope, you know, when we voted for this project, i was the one that moved the item because i believed that it was more than just building a building, but it was lifting up an entire community, and i hope you don't forget that, because that's the reason why i vote for all these projects because it's not just voting for something, it's like how do you lift this stuff, everybody? by providing jobs and opportunities to people in their city. my dad, who worked in construction, many, many years ago, for dinwiddie, many years ago, he would take us and we would watch these buildings take hips. i'm so proud that my dad's fingerprints are on these buildings, and i think that's what we need to continue to do,
6:02 pm
and that's a promise of what was redevelopment and partnerships. josh, thank you so much for joining us. i do have a couple of questions for you as it refers to the local hire piece, if you can come up. you know, when redevelopment was happening, there were many of us that were here, commissioner breed, commissioner singh, commissioner leroy king, commissioner covington, and one of the things that we pushed during redevelopment was local hire, and i know we got some push back from many people. and my whole response to that was the redevelopment agency, this is 100% resource. all we're asking is 50%. so as long as you give san
6:03 pm
francisco 50% of that opportunity, you can do whatever else you want with that other 50, and that's a good deal. because remember with 100% city resource, we could ask for 75, 80, 90, but we said we're going to meet people halfway. i'm a little concerned about the numbers, and i notice in the presentation, we talked about good faith effort. when we worked with contractors and developers, is this 50% local hire goal, is it good faith or is it mandatory? >> thank you, commissioner. again, joshua arce, city build director. thank you for the question, commission commissioner bustos, and to the question. i joined the city build program just over four months, close to five months now, and i can tell you based not only on that
6:04 pm
experience but having been to this commission several times going back ten years ago, really, and having this exact conversation about good faith versus mandatory, and different approaches to putting san franciscans to work, that the policy that we work with, this body to implement is a good faith policy. it's a good faith goal in contrast to the city goal. the ocii policy, i think is pretty eloquently laid out, and one of the reports is a local hiring goal of 50%, and that is he aa good faith effort to the parties to meet that objective. >> so -- but it seems to me that we're having a difficult time at times of reaching that 50%. if we were to take good faith and make it a mandatory thing, how would that help us?
6:05 pm
>> well, mandatory always gets people's attention. that's for sure. but i think one of the really important things that i want to stress is the positive and the important and the positivetive aspect of all of these things. i come to this field as a civil rights attorneys who had the privilege of working in the labor union, and i think when you look at what's happening with this industry, you don't have to go a whole lot further back to the report that the chief economyist gave last week, when we already have a constrained market for the labor construction, we're really at ground zero here in san francisco for that labor shortage. when you lack baook back at th numbers to date, you have out comes that a lot of city mandatory projects would be proud of. the hunters point shipyard is a
6:06 pm
good example, where you've got approximately 36% local residents. and then, where you have other projects, where you might have lower percentages. one of the things, i went back to this report, and i was struck by something, where you look at -- let's see...the previous six months, you had 1.2 million hours of construction. you had 1.27 million hours of construction in the previous time period. today, you have 2 million, so what's interesting, we look at where we're at today versus where we were six months ago, there's 55% more work. now, we take that as an opportunity in city build working with ocii, our labor
6:07 pm
partners, our city build partners, such as abu, community builders, we're always looking for new partners to recruit, make sure no san francisco resident is left behind. these jobs, whether it's good faith or mandatory, whatever it is, our job is to identify, recruit, train them with our labor partners and get them on the job. our academy is kind of our flagship training program. typically, at this time, we'd be training 50 disadvantaged san francisco residents for construction careers. we've all seen numbers. we know that there's a labor short i can't imagi shortage, and there's two ways to look at it. we know that the city says there's 2.7% unemployment. we can pat ourselves on the back and say we've done everything we can for
6:08 pm
unemployed san franciscans, but that's not true. we haven't done enough for formerly incarcerated residents, for non-english speakers. we now have a partnership with chase, mortensen clark, to train up to another 40 workers. we've got a partnership that was referenced in marias's presentation at glenn eagle's golf course, so we're trying to use this labor shortage as an opportunity to bring more san franciscans into the city. >> so i appreciate that, but i think as a commission, we need to look at good faith versus mandatory, just to make sure that what we're asking is
6:09 pm
the -- adhered to. there's a lot to that we can still do, and i think looking at formerly incarcerated individuals, giving them an opportunity, is a good thing, and again, give them pride that they're helping build this great city. i appreciate your efforts, mr. arce, and everyone coming here today and sharing your stories, because it is important. that's what makes this worth it, right? that's what makes being up here and seeing all of you worth it because we're changing people's living, and i love that. thank you. >> thank you, commissioner. like i say we're here to work for everybody. we're proud of these out comes. we can always do more, and we'll follow any policy that's put in front of us, commissioner. >> thank you. >> can i just have a follow onto your question.
6:10 pm
hi, josh. >> hi. >> congratulations on your position. in this last report, and i've seen it consistently through the various reports, it just strikes me that the asian category, and i don't know if these are all san francisco residents, but given the demographics of asians in san francisco, 2.9% in one column, 3.3% in the other column, 3.7% in -- i mean, it just -- it strikes me, are we doing enough to outreach to the asian community? again, given the demographics of san francisco, that seems like a short coming on the asian contracts. >> well, that's a good thing to point out, commissioner. i was looking at the same thing, as well. i believe at that your attachment, it's b-3, and that has the race, ethnicity dependency s demographics of the workforce. now, it does go up when you
6:11 pm
look at others. others are who declined to race, ethnicity. it's a large percentage of if it you look at overall. the overall for any category is 30 poi 30.5%. if you look at projects like the hunters point shipyard, candlestick point, it's like 38%, so when you solve proportionall proportionately, it's less. the point is, i think, to agree with what you said, commissioner, we can always do better, so we are actively doing -- we did a recruitment down in visitation valley, where we did a recruit for city
6:12 pm
build academy, without doing a big push, within language, within cantonnese, and mandarin. we did a recruitment with the media, with cbo's and language, and about 30 folks came out, a number of whom went into the academy. i think the point being we have strong support from your agencies, george, maria, we're all kind of on the same floor together, so we're always thinking about again, how do we use the same opportunity, the policy that you have today, tomorrow, whatever it is, we treat it as an opportunity to make sure no one's left behind when it comes to these opportunities. they're plentiful, the numbers doebt te
6:13 pm
don't tell all the story, and like i say, i have nothing to report as -- [ inaudible ]. >> okay. thank you, mr. arce. thank you. >> thank you very much. >> congratulations on your new job. i'm sure we're going to be looking forward to some new meetings with you. >> just add some color on the employment figures. in the last report, ken nim stated that the unemployment rate in san francisco was about 3.3%, 3.2%. i pulled the most recent figures from the employment development department with the state of california, and it was reported that as of december 2017, the unemployment for san francisco, redwood city and
6:14 pm
south san francisco is 3.2%, and there was an increase of about 4100 construction jobs from the december 2016 to december 2017 period, so about a 10% increase in construction jobs. but as josh mentioned and you'll find in your reports, during this past six months, there's been an additional increase of 55% construction work that take place, so that just adds some additional color to the disparity between what's currently happening in terms of the actual work and the number of workers. >> and my only follow up to that -- and i asked it last time, and i did receive some data in response to my questions, that it wasn't -- the answers weren't crystallized for me, and i don't know that we have the answers, and that's about looking at unemployment by industry, by neighborhood in san francisco. so, i mean, sitting here today,
6:15 pm
i don't know whether it's -- 2.2 is accurate for the construction industry in each neighborhood, for example. >> right. i tried to pull some figure from the last time, and i provided some strattics. it's rather difficult because it doesn't get that fine in granularity, but it's true. within the hunters point shipyard, the rates are higher than the rest of san francisco, so there's no doubt about that. what proportion is higher, we don't know, but that's immaterial to some extent, because we do pay a large focus, as you'll hear from josh, in particular on a lot of residents, and in tisk southeast sector. >> i don't want to -- we've already spent sometime on this, thank you for the report, thank you for the testimonials and
6:16 pm
the feedback because as commissioner bustos said, we're policy makers. we're not in the trenches. i just love not hearing the stories, but the individuals coming up and telling the story in their own words. i want to thank our partners. without our partners on all of our projects, i don't think we could be as successful on a commission. i venture to say we may be more successful in some regards than our very well respected sister agencies. i think it's because we have more collaboration, more flexiblity in approximate working with our partners than let's say the airport or puc might. so thank you to all. my questions are just going to be just kind of narrow. i just want us to be thinking kind of forward thinking. one question is -- and it came up on good faith efforts, but it came up in the context of labor, and are in the
6:17 pm
presentation that we track or we expect good faith efforts from our partners. can you quantify for us what it means to be, like, good faith efforts, because some people think, i think, good faith efforts mean making kind of flimsy efforts, but can you give us an overview of what that means in. >> sure. i want to first state than from what i can gather in the ocii and the former redevelopment agency program is really centered around good faith in this respect. it's really bringing in private contracting into the public realm because if you look at the 3.5 billion that is currently under our oversight, i can say that 99 .08% of that is in development with private
6:18 pm
developers. we only have within our portfolio about $6.8 million that's contracted with ocii. so real so contracts aren't just given to the good old boys network in terms of their friends, but publicly soliciting those contracts for open competition. so for us, good faith does mean an effort -- and we do religiously work with developers to ensure that their contracting opportunities are made open to the public. we do that by meeting with the contractors before solicitations go out, looking at the types of work that are being planned and the schedule, that type of work; and then, looking at the submittal document, the bid specs, or in the cases of r fq, the request for qualifications so to make sure there's unundue barriers. maybe an example is excessive
6:19 pm
insurances or excessive years of experience, that type of thing that might pose a barrier. we help the developers to solicit those documents not only through our website but certainly through the city's website, and again, ensuring that the public has adequate notice of the solicitations. there's at least a minimum 30-day advertisement period so that folks can be made aware of the contracting opportunities. there's a presubmittal or a prebid meeting that happens in between -- midway between where, again, you know, in a private contracting realm, that typically wouldn't take place, but under our good faith, it's a requirement. and i can say that for certainty as a requirement. each of the developers do cooperate with us for a presubmittal meeting, a prebid
6:20 pm
meeting. questions are entertained, answered; and then, again, afforded enough time for the public to submit bids or proposals to the developers. what we also do afterwards is meet with the developers and the contractors, the general contractors to look at bid tabulations to look to see where bids might have come in or have come in, what the price spreads are. again, we have a -- a first consideration for project area businesses that's been built into our program, so we certainly want to ensure that efforts are made towards that end looking, again, at first consideration of san francisco -- of project area businesses and san francisco businesses. and we look at that with respect to the pricing of the bids. i know that there's been mention about articles in terms of kettor not meeting or not receiving an award. i can tell you that what we
6:21 pm
look at, in terms of bid spreads, are that it's within reason, even within our policy we talk about the fact that san francisco businesses should be awarded if they're not significantly higher. i can say that what we look at is what the city is a guidance of sorts. we certainly are separate from the city in terms of the sbe program, but we do use the city as a guidance in terms of their bid preference. the city does offer bid preference up to 10%, depending on the size of the contract amount. what's notable is if the city does grant a contract from 10 to $20 million, their bid spread is only 2%, so we use that as a guidance, as well. [ please stand by ]
6:22 pm
6:23 pm
. >> -- about how to increase capacity on the type 1 construction, because what i don't like is to have a report that says the report is basically the same as the type 1 construction because there's so little or so few capacitor availability because it's a different type of construction. you know, once or twice, that story fits well with me, but by the fourth or fifth or sixth time, it starts really bothering me, so i think i'd want us to be proactive in terms of what solutions, bha creati -- what creative thinking, and we certainly have some creator thinkers in the room. i put that out there for the
6:24 pm
thought. >> i do have to acknowledge and thank the commission for looking at the joint venture and association and codifying it within our sbe program, because that has been good in building small businesses. >> i'd just like mr. acre to come up and ask what's your definition of good faith builder. >> i think that the process that mr. lee from ocii shared, got a lot of similarities to the local employment side for local hiring. in a lot of ways, the good faith practices starts between the contractors coming onto the project and our compliant team, of whom we have one of our hardest working compliance team
6:25 pm
members here. it's the communication between the contractor and our compliance team that says we're coming onto an ocii project, and we expect this many workers. let 'have a back and forth process about maximizing the opportunities for local residents to strife to achieve at least a goal of a half local workforce. now i was really surprised when i got on the job and was in the middle of these communications, and i think one of the places -- just to go, for example, we have a great deal of communications between mortensen clark, warriors, stubs, because i think that is starting a little more later in the pipeline. the creativity that we're seeing is even more so elevated, so for example, the challenge you might see on a project that's kind of newer in the pipeline is we get a
6:26 pm
contractor coming on saying we need this many workers. we say great, let's connect you with some local workers, we call over to our partners with the labor unions, and for the first time with anybody's memory, we started experiencing empty hiring halls in some instances. the good faith is that communication is i'm coming onto a job, i need this many workers. later on, i need this many additional workers, and every time we have that conversation with the contractor or city build, that's where the employment liaison side of the city build family gets involved. they living up with the cbo's and union hiring halls to identify locals in which case if they're within the guidelines of their collective
6:27 pm
bargaining agreement, or local hiring agreement, they can make requests to hire on. so in everything that i just described in that back and forth is grounded in good faith. the creative is what you can added on, stuff that i'm excited we're going to be doing in the summer with everybody back on the arena. another round of training, which is really exciting and even some training before we get to the summer is kind of the creativity to -- to do what i'm saying, which is to identify workers who are still out there, bringing them in, getting the training with our labor and industry partners, getting skills to go out as local hires, and then having the communication to get them on the project. everything that i've just described is what the good faith process is. >> thank you. >> okay. one more?
6:28 pm
>> yeah. is it before mr. lee, we used to have a working group, and we used to meet every three months, and i think we should start that up. mr. lee, can you tell everybody what we used to do? he knows. >> hi. george bridges, contractors compliance specialist. for many years, in honor actually of commissioner king and miss hernandez, who was our chair person, we would meet every three months. two commissioners sat on our working group, and we would discuss the sb at that time and bwb out comes in ways we can work closely with our small business community and breaking up scopes of work, and they would give us feedback, and we
6:29 pm
would then present that information to our commission who would then encourage us to all work collectively, and then the director in her discussions with the commission would talk about ways that we could enhance our program workforce as well as contracting, and commissioner king and commissioner singh sat on that fo prop proper -- for probably 15 years that i was here at least. >> i sat on that working group, and mr. king, who passed away, used to do that. i think it was a good part of the sb and minority board contractors. >> okay. so thank you, commissioners. i just want -- i really just want to commend all the small business owners who took the time off from their jobs, from
6:30 pm
their businesses to be here and share with us your stories, your success stories, your challenges, because it's very important for us, commissioners, to know what your challenges are, and of course your successes, too, on what we can do to make it better and improve and give you more contracts. it seems to me from the stories, the things that's coming up is the success from joint ventures and association, and the mentors you receive from city build, from a -- thank you, miss bambac from starting not just the city build, but the warriors, the chase program, the clark and the black training program, and i've had the privilege to attend one of the trainings and also the graduation and the happiness, and the satisfaction of the graduates and looking forward to -- to a job -- a
6:31 pm
well paying job, a job that will -- will actually pay for their living, living in san francisco. so it may be that me and my felly commissioners need to look into putting more resources into joint partnerships, because this will increase the numbers that we're all looking for, and not just through ocii, which we have control over, but maybe their city partner agencies that they could look into that. i'm also looking into -- it has been mentioned that there's not enough people who -- who are looking for construction jobs, that maybe we need to put together some kind of a marketing plan to glamiorize
6:32 pm
construction jobs, that they can put together, especially for our youth. i'm looking for a more in depth marketing plan, a communication plan where we can develop our workforce, have more young people look forward to making a career and a life of -- you know, within the construction industry and what does that look like? and obviously, that will need some resources, and for the business owners who have been around looking for contracts or the increase in the contracts that they have. and the mentorship and partners is really important. this is good faith, but i'd like to see maybe more of what commissioner bustos said, maybe mandatory requirement, and put resources and staffing and dollars -- i don't know if we have it, looking at executive director, giving a look of where are we going to get the money, but really just being
6:33 pm
smart about what we're doing. i've been on the commission for about five years now, and we keep saying, we need more, we need more, and numbers keep going up and down, but what are we really doing to ensure that we actually meet our goals, right? i know there's a list of mitigating mesh mitigating measures here, but i don't see more grass roots outreach and really sitting with our business owners our -- you know, the smaller contractors so that we can help them grow, we can help them advance. so those are i think what we should be looking at as a commission and looking to see what we can do to increase our resources, joint venture, communication and marketing plan, something that would really make a difference in our numbers, and then, we can review if it's something that could be a model for other
6:34 pm
counties and cities. so that's my wish, and i hope we can concretize it, and mr. lee, you're looking at ways to prioritize this process that we've seen success, and to put more effort, more resources. so thank you all for being here, thank you for sharing. we want to hear from you again, because we really want to -- i mean, that's our goal, to make sure that you all become more successful, be able to live in san francisco. i'd like you to say hey, you have a 20 million contract, and they're all -- it's not impossible. and also, i want to thank chase center, the training program that you have, the warriors, i know, are here. thank you for being here and listening to these stories, and that i hope that we can have,
6:35 pm
you know, better or much more improved report for the next six months. so thank you again. okay. next item, madam secretary. >> the next order of business is item 6, public comment on nonagenda items. madam chair? >> do we have any speaker cards? >> we have one. it's ace washington. >> i think he's gone. he'd been here to hear all the african american contractors. >> and that was the only one for this item, ma'am. >> okay. next item, please. we're not done with our meeting yet. thank you. okay. next item. >> the next order of business
6:36 pm
is item 7, report of the chair. >> i have no report. >> the next item of business is item 8, record of executive director, a, report on compliance by the master developer on candlestick park in phase one and phase two of the hunters point shipyard, hunters point shipyard, b, 2600 to 2700. [ inaudible ] phase one and two, [ inaudible ] hope sf multifamily development, including 114 public housing replacement units, and 68 affordable housing rental units, plus two manager's units which are affordable as 50% median income, hunters point shipyard. c 588 mission bay boulevard marketing out comes report, a
6:37 pm
198 unit multifamily affordable rental unit, plus two managers units which are afford annual, allocation and median area income, mission bay south, allocation and median income area. director? >> commissioners, you have in your package three memorandums each having supporting data. the first is on the compliance by the master developer. staff provided a cover memo that kind of outlines that they're especially in compliance. as you recall, they meet with us quarterly, they submit reports quarterly. from the last two meetings ago on this item, we had agreed that semiannually, the developer would come and present. today, this is just a report with documents in the back.
6:38 pm
>> the next one is -- it's become like an item where the point where we're having repeated out comes report on -- marketing out comes report on the affordable housing program. the first one you have in front much you is 2600-2700 workers
6:39 pm
drive, first phase alice griffith park, 187 units, the delta is for affordable housing units, with two millioner's units. as you can see from the report and our cover memo, as you know, we contract out with the mayor's office of housing and community development to provide a report which is also attached as an attachment to the letter. but more importantly of the 68, there were 25 households that applied. five of those households were successful applicants and are now in this development, and one of them was actually from out of san francisco, from vallejo. i think what's been noted that the folks that did not get it were -- were a no show or withdrew, and there's some that were under or over income. on the next item, is -- which is the 588, i think the highest
6:40 pm
number of affordable units in a decade, almost 200 units, and those were also marketed by our partner, the mayor office of community housing and development. of the applicants, 17 were from households of cid holders. of that six were successful applicants, and reside in the 588, which from a percentage amount, a stub substantial amount, and we had a few that were from out of san francisco, vallejo, sacramento, berkeley, etcetera. same configuration, there were three under income, four over income. three were credit issues. one withdrew and one has requested to stay on the waiting list. we have someone from my team available to respond to questions if you have any questions. you do? >> i have one. >> commissioner rosales?
6:41 pm
>> yes. in the first report on the 2600-2700 aurelius worker drive report, i notice on page 6 is says half of the alice griffith right to return households who applied were not housed in phases one or two for some of the same reasons that the cop holders weren't held. what does that mean about those folks? what's their housing situation? >> pam sims, cid housing specialist. this housing situation is unfortunately the way it was before. they are still marginally housed, couch surfing. they still have been encouraged to seek housing counseling and
6:42 pm
credit counseling through san francisco housing development corporation to strengthen their chances for phase three and phase four. that said, the number of households that applied under the alice griffith preference for phase three which we're leasing up now is triple, so they're going to keep trying. they're going to better themselves, and they're going to keep applying for these housing units. and just to let you know, this is the first reset that we're doing right now for phase three that we think we're not going to get past cop holders, so the alice griffith right to return and cop holders will be living at alice griffith, which is exciting. >> yeah. it goes back five years, one of my earliest experiences as a commissioner, which i believe this is the project we were given a report on, and we were worried that people were going
6:43 pm
to be left behind in this process. and that's where the early outreach credit repair concepts, all the stuff that we do today on the natural, that's where the idea came from. >> relocating, and sustaining it, and able to stablize. >> yeah. >> so it's great. >> so anything we can do to make sure that everyone -- >> gets a chance, yeah, absolutely. >> and to feel that we have a chance, yeah. >> absolutely. >> any other comments? >> no. >> you also have an attachment in your binder. [ inaudible ] -- report. >> yeah, there we go. >> you see this beautiful colored -- if you have any questions, i'm happy to answer
6:44 pm
them. otherwise, i have no further reports. >> thank you, madam executive director. let's call the next item, please. >> we had one speaker, so i'll call him out. it's ace washington. want to make sure. >> okay. sorry so he's not here, so we'll close public comment. >> the next order of business is item 9, commissioners questions and matters. madam chair? >> are there any questions? matters to be discussed? there's none. next item, please. >> the next order of business is item ten, closed session. conference with real property negotiators. pursuant to california government code section 54956.8, a closed session has been calendared to give direction to staff regarding the potential sale of the property described below. property 200 main street portion of lot 3739, lot 008,
6:45 pm
also known as transbay block four. the ocii negotiators are sally orth, shane hart, jeff white, and hildy miles. negotiating parties for f-4 transbay partners, llc, a delaware limited liability company, a joint venture of urban pacific development llc, an affiliate of hines limited partnership and broad street investments, llc, an affiliate of goldman sachs. under negotiate will be both price and terms of payment. madam chair? >> thank you. so i think we have -- this is a closed session, so -- skbl
6:46 pm
>> we only have that one speaker, and it was ace, and he's not here. >> can we close? do we follow the process for closed session? >> if there's nobody else here, make sure everybody else >> we are back on -- are we on? >> yes. >> no report on closed session. >> okay. the next order of business is item 11, adjournment. >> yes. a motion from commissioner singh, seconded by commissioner rosales. >> and time. >> it is oh, 4:48. >> thank you. >> meeting adjourned.
6:47 pm
>> usf donates 100-120 pounds of food a night. for the four semesters we have been running here, usf has donated about 18,000 pounds of food to the food recovery network. ♪ ♪
6:48 pm
>> i'm maggie. >> i'm nick. >> we're coe-chairs of the national led organization. what food recovery does is recover and redistribute food that would go wasted and redistributing to people in the community. >> the moment that i became really engaged in the cause of fighting food waste was when i had just taken the food from the usf cafeteria and i saw four pans full size full of food perfectly fine to be eaten and made the day before and that would have gone into the trash that night if we didn't recover it the next day. i want to fight food waste
6:49 pm
because it hurts the economy, it's one of the largest emitters of greenhouse gases in the world. if it was a nation, it would be the third largest nation behind china and the united states. america wastes about 40% of the food we create every year, $160 billion worth and that's made up in the higher cost of food for consumers. no matter where you view the line, you should be engaged with the issue of food waste. ♪ ♪ >> access edible food that we have throughout our lunch program in our center, i go ahead and collect it and i'll cool it down and every night i prep it up and the next day i'll heat it and ready for delivery.
6:50 pm
it's really natural for me, i love it, i'm passionate about it and it's just been great. i believe it's such a blessing to have the opportunity to actually feed people every day. no food should go wasted. there's someone who wants to eat, we have food, it's definitely hand in hand and it shouldn't be looked at as work or a task, we're feeding people and it really means so much to me. i come to work and they're like nora do you want this, do you want that? and it's so great and everyone is truly involved. every day, every night after every period of food, breakfast, lunch, dinner, i mean, people just throw it away. they don't even think twice
6:51 pm
about it and i think as a whole, as a community, as any community, if people just put a little effort, we could really help each other out. that's how it should be. that's what food is about basically. >> an organization that meets is the san francisco knight ministry we work with tuesday and thursday's. ♪ ♪ by the power ♪ of your name >> i have faith to move mountains because i believe in jesus. >> i believe it's helpful to offer food to people because as
6:52 pm
you know, there's so much homelessness in san francisco and california and the united states. i really believe that food is important as well as our faith. >> the san francisco knight ministry has been around for 54 years. the core of the ministry, a group of ordain ministers, we go out in the middle of the night every single night of the year, so for 54 years we have never missed a night. i know it's difficult to believe maybe in the united states but a lot of our people will say this is the first meal they've had in two days. i really believe it is a time between life or death because i mean, we could be here and have
6:53 pm
church, but, you know, i don't know how much we could feed or how many we could feed and this way over 100 people get fed every single thursday out here. it's not solely the food, i tell you, believe me. they're extremely grateful. >> it's super awesome how welcoming they are. after one or two times they're like i recognize you. how are you doing, how is school? i have never been in the city, it's overwhelming. you get to know people and through the music and the food, you get to know people. >> we never know what impact we're going to have on folks. if you just practice love and kindness, it's a labor of love and that's what the food recovery network is and this is
6:54 pm
a huge -- i believe they salvage our mission. >> to me the most important part is it's about food waste and feeding people. the food recovery network national slogan is finding ways to feed people. it's property to bring the scientific and human element into the situation.
6:55 pm
6:56 pm
6:57 pm
>> good afternoon >> the clerk: we'll bring the commission to order and ask the sector to please call the roll. [roll call] second item is the approval of the minutes of february 2018. >> so moved. >> the clerk: so the minutes are before you and there's been a motion to accept the minutes. is there a second? >> second. >> the clerk: are the re corrections? those in favor as written say aye. opposed? the minutes have been adopted. our next item please.
6:58 pm
>> item three is the director's report. >> good afternoon, commissioners. the president did sign a continuing resolution for a two-year budget framework into law and that will allow us to not have a government shutdown until fiscal year 2019. there are specifically in the measure the funding for extending the childrens health insurance program for an addition four years. reauthorizing funding for more than $7 billion to community health centers that includes the department's dollars for homeless services. it provides $6 billion dedicated opioid treatment and mental health service and funding to national institutes of health and the child home visiting program. we are still tracking the 340b issue as well as the fact we know potential of cuts and future cuts in services
6:59 pm
including in cdc, samis a, nih and other areas and keep you informed as we know. senator scott wiener announced a new conservatorship for addiction and homelessness as part of the definitions. we hope that we are in support of this with the senator and we can do a press conference the last week on that. part of the legislation allows us to continue and we've been positive in being served versus being in locked facility. the prep campaign ink to address
7:00 pm
hiv disparity by reaching out to african american there was a new campaign in the fight against hiv to end the disparities impacting african american men and the focus is to prevent hiv infection and a new campaign launching will help close this gap by engaging black san franciscans to support in prep messages. gender health recognized an event and i kind of see them of them in the audience. we want to acknowledge them and the mortality rate of black infants is more than twice of white infants and a growing body of evidence shows stress may be among black women caused by racial discrimination and as you saw

27 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on