Skip to main content

tv   Government Access Programming  SFGTV  October 2, 2018 1:00am-2:01am PDT

1:00 am
city. the labor market availability in san francisco for people who are available to work for the city, so it excludes retirees, for example, or children. but the labor market availability of african americans in san francisco for us to employ is 4.6%, and the city is at a robust 15%. so, that is a piece of good news. moving on, i'm going to talk about four of the different areas in which we have programming. first is the area of recruitment. without going into great detail, i want to highlight four different examples of ongoing programs, intended to improve the diversity of our work force. we have our clerical eligibility test, people with 0 experience to take an examination and get into, and qualify for entry level clerical jobs, can lead to a career en the city. and with a number of people whom we have recruited in fact through the human services agency as former clients who have obtained city employment on
1:01 am
a permanent basis that way. our testing for police officers, which we implemented about two years ago, great results. we have nearly doubled the exam passing rate for african american females. and while the increase in officers 9% over the period, the increase in african american male officers is 25%. so we have changed the method of testing to ensure that it does not create a barrier. certification rules, interesting technical point, basically anybody who passes an examination we believe is qualified to perform the functions of the job. the certification rule which we negotiate limits the number of people who can be considered to typically the top three. we will be continuing to identify classification in which we have a diverse eligible list, but the people that we can reach and interview are not diverse and we want to ask our unions to
1:02 am
partner with us to open the door so more candidates can be considered with the eye toward increasing diversity. if the people don't get to the interview, they cannot be hired. additionally we have an ongoing problem to review the qualifications and ensure they do not create barriers to employment for employees, for applicants to city 'em employment. moving on, nationally conviction history program. we know society, the impacts of society resulted in higher incarceration rates and conviction histories for african american and latino persons, and we have been recognized nationally for leadership in this program, not only do we clear, in fact, people with the conviction history, 99% were cleared for city employment. only nine people last year were not allowed to continue with a job offer because of their conviction history. the signature element of this,
1:03 am
we do not even tell the hiring departments of conviction history unless the person is disqualified or a connection with the employment. that way we can prevent individuals and applicants from being discriminated against because they had a history when it's not relevant to the job. pipelines are key as i think you may know. public agencies are not allowed or prohibited by law from hiring using race or gender or other protected characteristics as a basis for hiring decision. so, in order to ensure diversity, we must make sure we have pipelines. thus eliminating barriers to employment and finding ways to bring people into employment. we have several programs i won't go at length into, but access to city employment program apprenticeship s.f., earn while they learn, and san francisco fellows, a diverse and highly qualified group of people who come in and many stay with the city and become, get permanent
1:04 am
employment. >> supervisor kim: apologize for a brief interruption. i do need to make an announcements. deputy sheriff's and clerks, we have an overflow viewing room at north lake court, including seating. i know that there are members of the public that are standing, but because of code issues we are going to have to ask that you go to the overflow room to view this hearing. what i will do is that when i open up for public comment, members of the public who would like to speak that are in the overflow room are welcome to come back in. but if folks can kind of squeeze together in the seats to make room for other people standing, that would make a big difference. but you are again welcome to go to north lake court to watch this hearing. thank you very much. >> thank you, no problem. perhaps i'll wait a second.
1:05 am
>> thank you. thank you. so much, members of the public for sharing space. >> thank you. briefly touching on training, a key element of the mayor's executive director issued yesterday. we have an implicit bias training program. 3,000 employees in 51 departments, 900 at the san francisco police department. every new academy recruit receives training in implicit bias. harassment prevention training, 6500 city employees are required by law to take that training but we currently have trained 14,000. and of course, as you see the
1:06 am
mayor's executive directive extends that training to all 30,000 city employees. cross cultural communications a new training unit. we believe some of the problems we encounter that lead to equal employment opportunity complaints relate to people coming from different cultural backgrounds and challenges in communicating. so, a new unit we use to intervene in departments and help in workplaces where there seems to be difficulties related to that area. and anti-bullying module s.i.u. requested and jointly developed over the last several years, available for cases could benefit from understanding more about bullying. so, we -- we hope that the training that we are providing is not just providing information but in fact, can lead us to changing culture, but it must also include enforcement. so i'll talk about the equal employment opportunity program.
1:07 am
a staff of some 18 investigators, in the last three-year period, they received, took in 1734 complaints. some complaints were made based on different categories, for example, race and gender or age and gender. so, the total leads up to more than 100%. as you see the majority were not, not the majority, the plurality, it could be bullying, related to worker's compensation, etc. but, that does not mean we did not take a corrective action in those cases. we often do. the remainder of race, ethnicity and color, retaliation and sex were each at about 24% of the complaints we received and the lesser disability and age. i want to note going to findings mean we found discrimination in
1:08 am
violation of the law, or retaliation or harassment. however, there are many cases in which it does not rise to the level of a violation of the law, but does violate city policies. and in those cases, we take corrective action as well. as you see here, the findings, which is a legal standard, we have 33 on gender discrimination or harassment, five on race, three retaliation, one on national origin. the corrective actions we have taken, 778 over that period, including the 42 in which there were serious findings. the corrective actions we require departments to take can include anything from training and issuance of policies and acknowledgment of policies, to cease and desist letters, reprimand, suspensions and terminations. we also can and have required, most recently on the race discrimination case, retroactive appointment to position and back pay and discipline of the offending supervisor who engaged in the discrimination.
1:09 am
we have a relatively small number of -- >> before you move on, do we have a sense of in terms of the findings and complaints how we rate in terms of percentage of employees compared to other cities, counties or private sector, a sense of how we do, in comparison to other employers. major employers. >> i think many employers, they contract out their investigations and we are pretty large employer, so i don't have the answer to that. i think we can try and find out. linda, do you have a comment on this? >> supervisor, i believe we do very well as far as the few, the number of complaints filed per employee based on the employee population. and particularly in the findings area. when i get together with regional e.o. directors from the area, usually they comment at the low number of complaints that we have received compared to their complaints. so i can't give you the exact number, but i know we do very
1:10 am
well. and we believe that. >> i'm so sorry, for the sake of time and make sure everyone respects members of the public when they speak if we can limit that type of communication during the committee hearing, that would be appreciated. >> thank you supervisor. there is -- i know that people are concerned, a long time to get a case investigated. we do a good job. we have 80% of our cases in the last year were investigated with a, concluded with 180 days. some of the delays people may encounter usually relate to the fact of the availability of witnesses, sometimes medical leave, but we think it compares. and also very few employees, relatively few tend to go to the state or the federal agencies to report the discrimination. means there is a level of confidence that they will be heard and take the concern seriously. the challenge as we know, i
1:11 am
think you will hear in public comment, is we don't -- we are not able to go back to the employee and say this is what happened to the person against whom you file the discrimination complaint. when we take an action, that individual who is responding has privacy rights. they are represented by unions in almost every case as well. so, we don't make an announcement about whether that person was disciplined or counseled or even frankly if they were terminated as to the reason. i want to talk about what the data shows a little bit, and this is kind of the key area, i think we, of focus today. the data has good news and bad news. and i want to talk about that. first part is about city employment, particularly new hires and promotions. so, as i indicated before, african americans comprise 15% of the city's work force, again, you know, well above the labor market availability. so it shows that we are doing some things right. the new hires are actually, hard
1:12 am
to read here, 19%. so it shows that in fact our, i think our work force programs and some of these initiatives we have are actually yielding good results and our departments are, i need to recognize the efforts of the department level in all of these ways. and promotions of african americans are at 14%, so roughly equivalent. so, that is, i would characterize that as acceptable or good news. temporary employment is another area that's been raised, i know there is a concern or perception that there's a disproportionate percentage of african americans in the city. there are two kinds of temporary employment. there's as needed, which is temporary exempt category, 16. people called for vacation relief or when they are waiting for an exam to be created, or when there may be backfill issues or surges in work that needs to be completed. so it's not permanent employment. and african americans are 15% of the city's as needed work force,
1:13 am
which is consistent with their proportion in the work force. so, that is a little bit of good news on that point. category 18 appointments, those three years, are typically for two reasons. one for training program, for example, jobs now, city build, all those apprenticeship, those are all category 18. and the other kind is for, for a project, for example, i.t. project. it's true that 25% of category 18, 3-year appointments are african american, and we attribute that, and look at the data, to the success of some of the work force programs we have, notably jobs now, run by the human services agency. i want to talk a little about s.c.i.u. in particular, raised the issue to the forefront. african americans make up 17% of new hires this year, they make up 16% of the s.c.i.u. work
1:14 am
force, and 18% of the promotions. so, that's, now we go to the bad news. cause for concern. what we have identified in response to their questioning that they brought forward to us, while african american employees constitute 15% of the work force, they are, having trouble reading, 36% of the releases from permanent employment for cause, so these are termination cases. >> supervisor kim: definitely cause for concern but if members for the public can save their comment for public comment, it would again be appreciated. >> the other bit of bad news is that almost one quarter of the releases from probation are african american employees as well.
1:15 am
now, we don't have, we don't have data because we don't have an electronic personnel file, so we do not have -- >> supervisor kim: you have to ask the public, with he have to get through the hearing, so if we -- i know the boos are not to mickey directly but to the data and i share all the concerns that are stated, but we will allow members of the public to speak on this matter. >> thank you, supervisor. >> we will make sure, and people can review it. >> and i would note, supervisor, that the, all the data that we are prescribing is in aggregate form. three releases of data to them to date, from our people soft system. my point that i was making
1:16 am
before was that we are gathering -- not an electron electronic -- it does show the data points that i have raised. you'll note from the mayor's executive directive, she has requested d.h.r. identify and move towards and will be asking for funding for an electronic personnel file system which will allow us to get the data more readily, in the shorter term as directed by the mayor will be collecting that and i guess using excel spread sheets from the departments to partner to get the data and provide it. so, moving on to the future focus, i touched on that. the civil service commission voted on monday in support of rule changes which would allow d.h.r. for deidentification.
1:17 am
as you know, the board of supervisors voted in 2016 and in 2018 to ask us to pursue this. the studies show that what your name is, where you live, what school you attended can be used to keep you out of an interview. and we think that what should, the thing that should get you into the interview are your qualifications. so, this is a big change for us, hiring managers don't love it because they will have to make the decision on whom they are going to interview without knowing their names. but we think it's the best way to ensure and address one of these issues that has arisen, but we will study that and appreciate the civil service commission support in allowing us to move forward on that. i mentioned before that we must, because we cannot engage in affirmative action or use race or gender as a basis of any hiring decision, we have to use on recruitment, rely on recruitment and pipelines. so, the mayor will be assisting us in adding resources to assist
1:18 am
departments in diversity recruitment. we plan to partner with groups even more than we have before, notably j.v.c., black girl's code, year up, and one of the things to bring people to jobs historically they have not been in. as we know, we have occupational clustering where people in the city, people are paid equivalently who do the same job, and we have a merit system, we have step. everybody in the classification has to make the same rate based on their seniority, and their job that they do. but, what affects your income is what job you have. so, that's why some of the pipeline programs are so important in removal of barriers. we are expanding training as directed by the mayor so that all managers and supervisors must take the online implicit bias training biand -- and take
1:19 am
fairness in hiring training, we have been developing it, and covers merit system principles and typical ways that bias can exhibit itself in hiring. and then all city 'em mreeshgs not just supervisors and managers, to take the harassment training biannually. what this shows us in conclusion, the city, and give credit to the employees who make this happen, and the departments and the programs of the city that we do have diverse work force but also shows that we have problems we have to address and need to buckle down and figure out how we can get more information and target interventions so that we can have, we can get rid of any disproportionality we see. that is generally my presentation. happy to take questions.
1:20 am
i also have my executive staff here who often know more than i do and will be able to address things. >> supervisor kim: thank you so much, and i want to recognize that supervisor sandra fewer, a co-sponsor of the hearing, has also come to attend the hearing. i have a very long list of questions but i just want to recognize members of the public want to speak, i'll save my questions until after public comment. supervisor vallie brown has some questions as well. >> supervisor brown: thank you everyone coming today. i know this can be grueling for everyone. i just want to make a comment and you know, i represent the western addition, and i've been working in the western addition for over 13 years. and for the western addition, and 13 years in city hall. and one of the things that we have always been talking about as, you know, getting jobs with
1:21 am
the african american community, and good jobs, which are usually city union jobs, and how do we do that. you know, we look at the proportion of the demographics of african americans in the city and the ones that work in the city, i don't think we can look at that because we have pushed people out of the city because of housing, because of -- [cheering] because of housing and because of the costs, and so we have a lot of african american community had to leave the city but still have the family roots here. i know so many that work in the city, bring their children to the city to go to school because they have their childcare here, their family, their parents, their grandparents that help them, it's a community that we have divided.
1:22 am
we have separated. and so for us to say there's, you know, 6%, 8%, whatever -- 3% of african americans in this city, and that we have a high proportion for our work force is not really fair. i don't think it's fair to look beyond. and i can't look at that. [applause] so i also -- cause for concern is where we are, percentages of african american employees being hired and then 15% and dismissal of 36% and releases 24%, cause for concern, i think this is actually a siren. i think it's going off. [cheering] >> i'm sorry. >> supervisor kim: and by the
1:23 am
way, appreciate the applause, i really try not to be too strict of a teacher in chambers, we do have board rules that ask you to, you know, use your fingers if it's positive. i'm only asking this because i want to get to public comment as quickly as possible so your voice can be heard and so that's why i'm asking you to let the supervisor finish comments even though you are positively responding to her. >> supervisor brown: thank you very much, chair kim. i think we need to do better. i feel that the numbers, the 15%, the -- we make up in the work force here, and then the numbers i had said for the cause of concern, it is something that we have to address, we have to address now. and i just feel your future focus, when you are talking about the future focus, i think
1:24 am
that that needs to be discussed more fully and addressed. i didn't -- with the future focus, what you are planning, i did not see something that's really like screamed out to me that this is really addressing it. and i also feel like our work force also needs to be involved in that, and really looking at if we are training people for the city, people are coming for the city, that they should be trained well so they are prepared. i don't want to set people up, set people up for failure. not to give them a job where they are not trained well and set up for failure. so, i'm going to get to public comment but just really wanted to speak my concerns because just the numbers are, like i said, it's a red siren going off for me, and also i think we need to look at our african american community that lives in the city a little different because a lot of them have been pushed out and
1:25 am
we can't use these numbers, that this is the -- the community that's here, we should be concerned about. thank you. >> if i could expand on one point in response to your comments. labor market availability for african americans is a regional number, which includes, it's a weighted average based on the percentages in the surrounding communities for where we draw our work force. but i do hear what you are saying. as noted in the mayor's executive directive, we will convene a group of stakeholders, including our labor unions, community groups, i think job development programs, and we will be looking for ways to intervene and try to address these very serious matters. >> supervisor brown: well, thank you. and one thank you that's really important, i wanted to thank seiu for bringing this to our attention and for meeting with my staff, and bringing this forward because i think it's something that we need to address now. thank you.
1:26 am
>> supervisor kim: thank you, supervisor brown. supervisor fewer. >> supervisor fewer: thank you very much, i'll be very brief. i have a lot of questions and i echo much of what my colleague on the board said about our african american population and clearly a whole package, it is about economic growth ability for african american population here in san francisco and the overall health of our african american population and our are they getting a piece of the pie here in san francisco as our economy has grown and where are they in that picture, and had they been able to capture any of this growth in our economy for their own economic stability. so i'm going to have some questions, actually, i think that when i was on the school board, you know, we saw the achievement of african american students and we had to really drill down and i think this is what i intend to do with some
1:27 am
questioning. so, when we talk about 15% african american workers, i want to know which jobs are they in. what level of pay scale are they in. if we have entry level positions for african americans, how -- how are they promoted, are there opportunities for further advancement. also, about the period of time it takes for temporary worker, do any of our temporary workers ever transition to permanent jobs and what is that rate in comparison to other races. we also look at retention of african american workers. what is the average tenure for an african american worker in comparison to a white worker or asian worker. also, i think when we are looking about race and specifically talking about race, that it is really important to drill down and look at the comparisons of what is a dominant culture and a society and what is a, and how this group compares to the dominant
1:28 am
culture in san francisco is a white culture. so, how is the african american population in our work force in comparison to that dominant culture. and so, those are the kinds of questions that i want to ask because i think that while on paper we can say we are doing this, and that it works well, i think that actually it is when you drill down to find out how equitable our employment opportunities in the city are for african american workers and also the things are the subtle things that every day if you go into a workplace beat down on you. and i will say that many of it, sometimes is not documented. many of it -- many times it is how you are treated personally on a job site. and those types of things, i think that we, we don't capture
1:29 am
enough and also i think that we can -- it's great that we are doing implicit bias training, however, we can give implicit bias training until whatever, and to how many and it's about keeping people accountable to what, where we want to be, and also accountable to eliminating the implicit bias and also harassment in the workplace. so, i'm looking forward to hearing the public testimony and more from our human services agency and i will just have some specific questions for the agency after public comment. thanks much. >> supervisor kim: thank you. so, i just have to make this announcement again. actually, i also recognize members of city staff are here and if they don't mind getting up and moving to the city attorney aisle where staff can sit to free up more spaces for
1:30 am
members of the public, you are welcome to -- >> i really am trying to keep order, not because i disagree with the conversation, but because i have to keep this hearing moving, and we want to hear from you as quickly as possible. so, members of city staff would like to move and free up seats so members of the public can sit down, i am going to go into public comment. director calanan cannot stay here beyond 12:30. will there be members of your staff available to answer the questions that supervisor brown and fewer have requested? >> yes. linda simon will be here. our e.e.o. director and she can address the questions, i'll follow up with her after. >> you'll stay until you have to go. >> thank you so much. so, call up the first 20 speakers cards that i have and please line up in the order of those 20. i have gus valeho, joseph bryant, brenda barrose, felicia
1:31 am
jones. cheryl thornton. theresa ruther, i'm sorry, i can't read handwriting. rutherford. carol powell, nicole christianson. dalfina hand i. shanet, brandon, david, james henis, apologize if i could not read your handwriting. it was not on the list of speaker cards that i have gotten yet. i'm sorry, but it wasn't here, and i will call your name when the card -- and mr. wright, i did not call your name up. >> i was here first before anybody got here, ok? >> i understand, but right now we were -- >> i was first.
1:32 am
>> supervisor kim: i understand you were here first but going on speaker cards. so if you can fill one out. all right. let's get started. >> i'm going to start off by telling you discriminatory practices that you are talking about, i experienced over 50 years ago working for the city for muni. i didn't know nothing about illegal immigration. when i worked for muni revenue, moving hundreds of thousands a night, sometimes a million dollars a night. you got me working with some illegal aliens from the philippines that can't even add up $2.50 an hour. i'm doing any job and their job, too. union can't do a god dam thing about it, i'm trusting them pay j union dues and you fired me when i complained about it, i only worked there three and a half years. the numbers, those statistics, that's high as far as black
1:33 am
people is concerned, you only work them halftime so you can't give them full-time benefits. that's why numbers are so high. and about you talking about equal opportunity employment, the only type of employment you got for black people is part-time work. and then you talk about your percentages is high and being fair to black people. and then about your housing discrimination, i'd be better off being illegal alien instead stead of a black man. you have to pay $3 a month for the new apartment, $3 for first month, last month rent, and $3 for the god dam security employment. can't even get housing. you got me [bleep] up, and discrimination, the lady demonstrates the fact, you interrupt her. you have an employment opportunity for mission right there, supposed to be 15% for low income and very low income
1:34 am
black people, 225 of those apartments is supposed to be for low income people, and you, jane kim, you don't even follow those rules or regulations. >> madam chair, i'll pause the speaker's time for just a moment. >> supervisor kim: it's ok, i -- there's no -- this is fine. mr. wright, thank you. i don't agree with your comments and i don't think it's right for groups to be pitted against each other, whether they are immigrants or african americans and we here in the room, it's about increasing the pie, not about one group against another. mr. bryant. >> thank you, supervisor kim, thank you for your leadership in sponsoring this hearing, supervisor brown, supervisor fewer, i came today with prepared notes in regards to setting this up and framing this. a lot of the notes are covered. you have to veer off to speak to the frustration to the presentation that we heard just
1:35 am
previously. heard words like success. i heard words like acceptable. i heard words like good news. show me y'all success by showing me your hands right now. show me your frustration in regards to what we are dealing with. what folks are dealing with on literally a daily basis. when it comes to hiring, when it comes to promotion, when it comes to day-to-day life of being a city worker. people are feeling it far too often and it is unacceptable, and we have been asking for a period of time. we need to address this, need to address this, want the city to be proactive, and until we get leadership from supervisor kim, supervisor brown, supervisor fewer, and mayor breed on this case, also we have seen very limited movement in regards to it. we are frustrated. people here today are all making sacrifices. everybody who was here today. they are either taking vacation off work, they are taking their
1:36 am
lunch break, whatever the case may be, taking time away from the family to express their frustration. when we hear about success based on data that can be presented in particular ways that don't speak to the truth, we are going to tell you that we are frustrated and we are going to continue to be here until this problem is resolved. there is no space for racism in the city. no space for discrimination in the city and we will not tolerate it, we will not take it, if it is the last thing this organization does and what we represent, it will be to end this problem. thank you. >> supervisor kim: thank you. >> gus, president of local 21, representing the 10,000 members who stand in unity with seiu on this issue. executive committee issues a statement, a motion, actually, that reads we as iffppte, stand
1:37 am
against any and all forms of discrimination, and calling on the city and county of san francisco to eliminate all forms of discrimination. thank you. >> supervisor kim: thank you so much. >> my name is brenda barrow, i have two here to give you, if you want to get the copy. two reports. from members, one is my story, which i'm not going to say anything about, i want to start off saying i have worked with mun management at the hospital to try to deal with this. i'm on the equity council at san francisco general. there are some people in management who are trying to do things. but it's not fast enough. and people are suffering. and so let me give you one example, from an asian employee who wrote his story that i just
1:38 am
gave you. it says, a year ago on multiple occasions in front of other asian staff who speak chinese, the supervisor of our department used a racially derogatory term, written in chinese, pronounced hong chang, multiple times to refer to a comment on one of the unit staff who spoke ethiopian as well as one other dark skinned hospital staff, janitor/housekeeper. we either reminded him or cautioned him that it's not appropriate for him to use this offensive disgusting term of the word. and the word in chinese was nigger, and good for nothing. so, these are the kinds of things that people are dealing with. this is the insidious thing that people just don't get. and you know, i just got to say
1:39 am
mickey, you have failed us. you have -- severely failed us. because this should not be. we should not be in this day and age, at this time dealing with this kind of crap. >> supervisor kim: before we get to the next speaker, i'll ask to limit the applause, just limits the applause. if you can use the finger wave, much appreciated. i don't mind comments directed at me individually, we do have a general board chamber that asks you not to direct comments specifically at individuals, but at the department or kind of the overall practice and policies. thank you. >> supervisor kim, i'm asking for 30 seconds to be not my two minutes, and i just want to say in this hearing, seiu 1021
1:40 am
should have been granted the same opportunity to give us at least a 15-minute presentation. >> supervisor kim: so, miss jones, we did talk to seiu about that, it was not requested. we would have included it if we were asked. >> felicia jones, i work for san francisco sheriff's department. and i'm not here to talk about the hiring practices. i'm here to talk about the racism, the discrimination, retaliation, the hostile work environment that is going on with black workers at this very moment. i have been under distress with san francisco sheriff's department trying to black ball me for eight years. eight years. no one should have to go through that type of trauma, that type of stress in order to do their job. the thing of it is around this implicit bias training, and which san francisco city and county has, well you know what, they only gave it to
1:41 am
supervisors. i'm a supervisor considered, and no one is paying attention to that training. they are not taking that training seriously. while we, black workers, we are under distress, we are being victimized and our perpetrators are being promoted while we are vicmized. our perpetrators are being promoted. not only are they being promoted, supervisor fewer, because you are on it, you are on it. the white privilege they have going on up in here, it needs to stop. black workers are educated, we have the expertise, and we are not allowed to do our jobs. san francisco sheriff's department tore down a program, a very viable program for transitional age, that i developed that i had the community to buy into, and they tore it down because one of the --
1:42 am
>> supervisor kim: thank you, miss jones. miss jones, i'm going to have to -- miss jones -- miss jones, thauj. -- thank you. miss jones, i have to cut you off, because i have to be fair to everyone that's speaking here today. >> worked for the city for 36 years in administrative services. i'm talking about the punishment of some of my employees when they have a -- the punishment is not fair with our black
1:43 am
community, with the blacks. it seems that most of what i was been in when it comes down to punishment for small errors and stuff, it's like a three-week suspension, two-week suspension, and some, are you a likeable person at this employee and you get in trouble, it's recommended in the file. but i have -- what i have been in, the blacks are punished more and stricter than others are. and it's -- i had to fuss with h.r. to show the punishments that the department recommended does not fit the crime. and that's all i have to say. thank you. >> supervisor kim: thank you. >> good morning, all. my name is theresa rutherford, i'm one of the vice presidents of the local, also a c.n.e. at laguna honda hospital and a
1:44 am
couple of people have sent me, you know, cases that they are asking to represent because they could not be here. speak quickly. 2013, an african american was in an meeting with her peers with her caucasian supervisor. they had a disagreement, she did not agree with whatever the discussion was, her caucasian supervisor grabbed the chair with her sitting in it, pulls her of the meeting and says i'm so tired of you, i wish you would go away, in front of her co-workers. this was reported, h.r. was involved, e.o.c. was involved, nothing happened. her supervisor was promoted to a senior position. her supervisor moved from being a supervisor to a director, and she was marched out of laguna honda with the help of the institutional police. a nurse assistant was written up
1:45 am
for in subordination because her supervisor felt that her presence was threatening. recently, an african american c.n.e. was accused of abuse because she removed food from a patient who was vomiting. a co-worker accosted, one co-worker accosted two african americans and told them they are no good. they are, you know, they are a waste of time. this was reported to e.o. e.o.'s response was they have found nothing to substantiate racism. so, this is the equitable and fair employer that we work for. >> supervisor kim: thank you, miss rutherford. next speaker. >> good morning. miss kim, miss brown, miss
1:46 am
fewer, i'm amos brown. president of the san francisco branch of the national association for the advancement of colored people. and also have had the honor of for 43 years serving as senior pastor of the historic third baptist church san francisco. i must respectfully submit that i am very troubled over the atmosphere, attitude, and the actions of san francisco
1:47 am
political leadership toward its citizens of darker hue. it's out loud blatant disrespect. the first item i want to say that catalogues that, no personal attack, miss kim, but i, too, sat where you are sitting in that seat as a supervisor, and as a supervisor and president of n.a.a.c.p., you did not even acknowledge my presence. problems many times start at the top. this is protocol. if anyone else of lighter hue is coming in here who served on this body, they would have been duly acknowledged.
1:48 am
i -- that we need to look at this matter not in terms of the percentages of the population, but we need t look at the percentages that mirror the problems that the african american community faces. we are 3.9% of the population now numerically, but it is a despicable situation that we are 45% of the residents, bryant, san bruno, you go over to juvenile hall, and you have there 60 to 70% of the residents are african americans. we don't need to be dealing with no numbers, you can play games with numbers. but all you have to do is go
1:49 am
around this town and do a cursory observation when it comes to construction, who has the big jobs? when it comes to doing the infrastructure of the city, who is working there. other than seeing a black face holding up a sign to stop cars, and to give direction to the traffic. we must admit the sin of san francisco. we claim to be liberal. we claim to be progressive. but when it comes to african americans, it is unfortunate of the circumstance here, that if you are black you get back. brown you stick around. if you are red, they see you as being dead. if you are white, you are always right. we need to really be the city of st. francis, and let me give you one caveat before i take my seat. just this past weekend as the president of n.a.a.c.p., i was
1:50 am
called to the fact that there was a woman of another hue over in plaza east housing development. who was screaming at the top of her voice, i hate niggers. niggers got to go. get out of the town. and agregious thing was, she had a 5-year-old child standing right in front of the door. but when i did some investigation, i took on a role as scotland yard or the f.b.i., what did i discover? the black residents over there said for a year and a half they had been complaining to the housing authority about this woman, and absolutely nothing was done. you better believe if any other person got up in front of a
1:51 am
community, and used racial talk, they would have been out in the drop of a hat. we need more than just a hearing, we need help, we need promotion of justice in the city and you will show that this was really of substance, you will show that this is really not just an optic. when we get on these departments, and say to them, we are not asking for anyone else's opportunity, all we want equal opportunity for black people in the city so we'll be able to -- >> supervisor kim: thank you, supervisor brown. thank you. thank you, supervisor brown. thank you. thank you. thank you. supervisor brown, i'm so sorry,
1:52 am
i have to treat every member equally. thank you. thank you, supervisor brown. our next speaker, please. thank you. >> hi, good morning supervisors. my name is cheryl thornton, and i'm here with my field rep, jessica innuway. cheryl thornton, i have served the beautiful community of patero hill 28 years. for those years i have gladly and proudly worked with the residents potrero hill at the health center.
1:53 am
i have never lived in the community, i've always felt a part of this community. i supported patience in navigating the often times challenging health care system and i supported youth in navigating educational opportunities for their future. in my many ways i have been a dedicated contributor and advocate for marginalized public housing community. march 15 of this year i was summoned to our office and told that i was going to be removed from the potrero hill clinic and told it was reorganization and my special skillset. after met and conferred with my union, i later learned that i was told i was being removed from it because of intimidation and fear. i received no due process, no investigation, when they did
1:54 am
have an investigation, it was a bias investigation. and i also want to note that when i left the clinic prior to this receiving these anonymous letters, i had a stellar performance appraisal. no mention intimidation and bias. i was never treated fairly by the department of public health. i'm not sure why they were allowed to -- >> supervisor kim: thank you.
1:55 am
>> good morning, good afternoon, board member kim. my name is shannet stieger. i would like to submit this petition from the sunnydale residents for the record, please. i am not an entry level worker. i am a nurse, a registered nurse of 27 years with a masters degree in nursing. i'm more than qualified. i'm overqualified. i do not have a criminal record. when i started with department of public health labor and delivery in 1993, there were three african american nurses. i left to obtain more experience in 1998.
1:56 am
in 2005, i returned and there were still, i made the third african american labor and delivery nurse. when i reported the discrimination that black women birthing their babies were experiencing in labor and delivery, i was retaliated against. i voluntarily transferred to san francisco hope d.p.h. ambulatory care, why i earned the trust of the community of sunnydale. black and brown, disenfranchised community members. look, we all know you don't get a nickname nursey nurse if you are not doing a good job. well, nursey nurse was arbitrarily transferred to silver avenue, told that i was not the right fit, whatever that means, very much like cheryl thornton, transferred again to the pediatric urgent care,
1:57 am
granted, pediatrics is not my expertise. labor and delivery is my expertise. and then transferred again to -- [microphone off] >> supervisor kim: thank you. >> good afternoon, nicole christian. i want to point out my t-shirt.
1:58 am
it says i am black and i matter. please don't be fooled by human resources showing up with a wall of color. no disrespect. but don't be fooled by that. that does not represent us. this -- this right here represents us. and we are discriminated against, we are held down, we are talked down to and we are fired. i refuse to say we are released, we are fired at 50% of all terminations are black employees. it's not just us, we get it. we get it. we need you to get it. we need her to get it. we need the city and county to understand when you fire someone, you fire an entire family. you fire their income, their -- their mortgage, their food on the table.
1:59 am
you are not just releasing people. you are taking away their personality, their identity, their way of supporting themselves and their family. and supervisor brown and supervisor fewer, i thank you for giving me that direct eye contact while i am addressing you. i wish that there were more people here in this room that would address us with this same respect. thank you for helping us in this fight. >> supervisor kim: thank you. >> good afternoon, my name is kirk jazz, employee at san francisco general hospital. not here to talk about how i was the first food service worker to be promoted from part-time to full-time in my department, while others of other races
2:00 am
nonafrican american have been promoted from part-time to full-time. i'm not going to talk about or go into detail how i can't be trained in english because a person training me, english is not good enough i can ask appropriate questions and get appropriate answers. i was drinking coffee one morning, 5:45 in the morning before i started hi shift and the supervisor, tony ku, picks his nose and wipes his boogers on my shirt. his protection has come totally at my expense, totally at my expense. my pocket is suffering because of this supervisor's deeds. if what you permit, you promote. this type of action is promoted. it's permitted because it's promoted. and no, nothing happens w

11 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on