Skip to main content

tv   Charlie Rose  PBS  March 10, 2010 12:00pm-1:00pm EST

12:00 pm
>> rose: welcome to the broadcast. tonight, excerpts from my conversation this morning with speaker of the house of representatives nancy pelosi, the full interview to be seen tomorrow night. and with greece in a debt crisis, we talk with the prime minister, george papandreou, who's visiting washington for a conversation with president obama and others. >> what we need to see is that we need the types of regulations, the type of stopgaps, the types of traffic lights if you like and the types of protection mechanisms so that we don't let these crises get out of hand where we need immediate action. and this is a question of world governance. we are in a world where we're interdependent. this is where i think europe with the united states can take the lead and really putting down certain rules. this is one of the messages i
12:01 pm
brought to the united states. >> rose: pelosi and papandreou next. ♪ if you've had a coke in the last 20 years, ( screams ) you've had a hand in giving college scholarships... and support to thousands of our nation's... most promising students. ♪ ( coca-cola 5-note mnemonic ) captioning sponsored by rose communications
12:02 pm
>> rose: we bewith excerpts from a conversation earlier today with the speaker of the house of representatives nancy pelosi. she is seineal to the effort to get health care reform passed by the congress. we spoke about the path ahead for health care reform as well as ethics allegations about democrats, including former congressman eric massa, who resigned this week. she also addressed criticism in washington of white house chief of staff rarpl. as i said, the full interview will air tomorrow night, but we begin tonight where she sees health care at this critical moment. >> we're at a good place at this moment to get the bill blue the house, exactly where we are is we are awaiting the response from the congressional budget office and then to see what the senate do and then we will take up the bill. substance from the budget office senate action, and then the house.
12:03 pm
>> rose: what will the budget office tell you? >> well, whatever the bug tells us, we have to listen to, whatever the budget office tells us. so they will tell us... one of the main reasons to do health care reform is to cut costs and we want to cut over... at least a hundred billion dollars in the life of this bill and a trillion dollars in the ten years following it. and so we... in order do that, we have to meet certain standards each year and the budget office will tell us if we have confirmed with that. if we haven't, we have to make changes. >> rose: will we hear of a compromise between you and harry reid this week? >> well, the president has put forth what he has seen as the house, the senate, listening to the republicans, democrats, republicans, house senate. and i they the president put on his... as his proposal is what we are working around. it has to comply with cutting of
12:04 pm
costs, again one of the main... obviously we want our country to have quality and affordable health care for all americans. that's a value, but it's urgent for us to act because we cannot afford the status quo. it's unsustainable for individuals for businesses, fapl families, for the federal budget and for our economy. so we have to turn that spiral downward of ever-increasing health care costs. so, again, what the president has put the forth is... melds together some of the ideas that he has heard house senate democrats and republicans and now we have to see how it meets the standards of the budget office. >> rose: the fact is, the house will vote on the senate bill. that's what's going to take place. >> well, the house will vote on a bill... two steps. the house will vote to pass this compromise.
12:05 pm
there are many issues that are important to house... members of the house of representatives: affordability for the middle-class. accountability for insurance companies. so we have to have... ensure this bill is affordable for the middle-class, we believe the house bill goes farther to do that. accountability for the insurance companies. we believe that the house bill went further on that. getting rid of the nebraska... whatever we want to call that, fix, to make... >> rose: the deal made with senator nelson. >> more equity for the states. and the fourth point would be we had disagreement with the senate on the pay for. we believe there are better ways to pay for it than to tax the so called cadillac plans. so 80% of that would be gone under the proposal we put forth. still in the out years the ability for the 20% that is left and what is added on then to take the cost down. so we will be voting on those
12:06 pm
four things. in preparation for that, we will do what is necessary to have a foundation of the senate bill. >> rose: there are a couple of members you can point out who are weather vane members who will tell us exactly this might be going if we knew where they stood on this and what reservations they had? >> all of them. you see, what i don't take a big clump and say, well, i have 200 smshgs i have to get to 218. i start one member at a time listening respectfully to where they're coming from on it. >> rose: do you have the votes at this moment? >> we don't the bill yet. >> rose: so your response always... any questions about do i have the votes is i can't tell you... >> until we have the bill. >> rose: but my guess is i can't believe-- as naive as i am-- that you don't pretty much know how close it is, what you have to do to get some people to go from here to there. >> that's right. >> rose: and you hope that what
12:07 pm
comes out of the budget office will help you kick them over there. >> that's right. it's a long road and members... when you're talking to them, you know, 256... well, now 255, one less. (laughs) >> rose: when will it be on the president's desk? he wants it early. he said he wanted it before he went to indonesia. that's next week. or maybe this week. >> my clock doesn't start ticking until the c.b.o. numbers come. >> rose: when do they come, though? when do they tell you? >> you know what? talk about independent. as well they should be. but when they're ready they give it to us and when we have it our clock starts ticking and we'll see what the challenge is. but you know what? we'll keep working and we'll keep fighting until we have a bill. and whenever that is. hopefully sooner rather than later. >> rose: the speaker of the house believes health care will
12:08 pm
pass. >> yes. today... >> rose: today. >> yes. >> rose: charlie rangel. >> well, he has done the responsible thing. he asked for an investigation by the ethics committee, they conducted it, they made one judgment on it, smr to come but he will... but he has stepped aside and i think that was the appropriate thing for him to do. >> rose: should it have happened earlier? >> he had a right-- as everyone member does-- to... i wish the committee had acted faster so this wasn't drawn out. but they had to go through their due process, too. so in any event we have a new acting chair of the ways and means committee. >> rose: acting chair. >> acting until this issue is resolved. >> rose: and you have two people that wanted to people that, mr. stark and mr. levin both wanted to be the acting chair. >> well, i think mr. stark when
12:09 pm
he realized that in order to be the acting chair he had to give up his chairmanship of the health subcommittee when we're doing health realized that he... where he wanted to be was the health subcommittee. >> rose: speaking of that congressman massa. >> yeah, that i don't get. i don't know. he called me last wednesday and said that he was diagnosed with cancer, that his doctor said he had to change his routine and that he was not going to seek reelection. i sadly received the news that he was in poor health and then congress went out, i went on the campaign trail and came back to learn... >> rose: he's pointing the finger at you. >> really. that i missed. i haven't seen that. >> rose: he's pointing the finger at rahm emanuel. >> i knew he was talking about rahm. >> rose: you didn't know he pointed the finger at you? >> no, because i saw someplace... i guess rahm's bigger news than i am. (laughs) but i have... i have no idea... this is a sad case. this is a sad case.
12:10 pm
>> rose: he's now become the darling of the conservative talk radio people, rush limbaugh, he's on glenn beck. a democrat. >> so what? i mean, the point is... >> rose: he was part of your... >> this is a very sick person. he has been diagnosed with cancer, perhaps his judgment is impaired because of his... the ethical issues have arisen and he is no longer in the congress. poor baby. poor baby. sometimes we really exaggerate our own importance in light of these things. >> rose: rahm emanuel is at the swirl of this controversy. people are putting the finger at him, there are columns being written about him. the president has given a general sort of i'm... about his staff saying everybody's contributing without specifically referring to his chief of staff. what's happened? you know this town. >> i know town and i know it's an archery range.
12:11 pm
(laughs) >> rose: everybody has a bow and arrow? >> well, let's take another net. when you jump into the arena as i have, you become a target. if you can't take that heat-- as harry truman said-- get out of the kitchen. well, i've spent a lot of years in the kitchen, figuratively and literally. so i recognize it well. but i also recognize it when the heat is placed on other people. rahm is so effective and when you're effective you become the target. he serves the president well. that's up to the president, of course, his judgment. but by all that we can see, he serves the president very well. he's a brilliant... he's a policy wonk. you think of him that has tough... >> rose: he was not hired because he was a policy wonk. he was hired because the president thought i need somebody who understands the congress and who's very tough. >> but he also respects him for his knowledge of the issues and
12:12 pm
the values, the values that he shares with the president on these subjects. he didn't hire a party hack, he hired a policy person who understands policy, who's astute understands politicss, who's politically asnut that respect and commands a great deal of respect. so i have every confidence... rahm's probably enjoying all of this. >> rose: do you think? >> yeah. (laughs) the. >> rose: last question... >> i mean, let me say, abstent most recent... which nobody could possibly... >> rose: the massa... >> i mean, that's weird. that's weird. poor baby. >> rose: the reminder of our interview with speaker pelosi will be seen tomorrow night. also this morning i spoke with the greek prime minister george papandreou who is in washington for a series of meetings that include secretary of state clinton, secretary of treasury geithner, the speaker of the house pelosi and this afternoon with president obama. greece is at the center of a debt crisis that has shaken
12:13 pm
world markets and threatened the long-term vishlt of the euro. papandreou socialist party came to party last october and declared the budget deficit had been vastly understated. last week, his government issued another bond sale and round of austerity measures to meet the shortfall. the european union-- of which greece is a part-- has promised to step in if necessary, but only as a last resort. i spoke with prime minister papandreou in washington at his hotel this morning. here is that conversation. mr. prime minister, thank you very much for spending this time with us. this has been a busy time for you in washington. yesterday the secretary of state and today speaker of the house and also the president. what are you here for? >> well, obviously greek and american relations are long standing and we want to strengthen these ties and i'm doing so. but obviously there are world issues which we share as
12:14 pm
problems. and the recent economic crisis in 2008 but also even this year which afflicted greece has been one of the main issues of discussion of how we need to create the type of governance on our planet to deal with a much more interlinked and interdependent world where we are all affected by each other. wall street crashed a year ago, but it affected the whole world. problems in different parts of the world will affect everyone. so we need to see how we regulate the or create the rules the necessary relay switches and circuit breakers, what everyone might want to call it in order that we can make sure the vast power of the markets, the globalizing economy, can be used to the benefit of our citizens. >> rose: specifically you think
12:15 pm
speculators have made your job more difficult. >> well, that's what's being said and i'm not saying it alone. it's something which many... europe and not only in europe but even in the united states have talked about, the fact that you can actually take out insurance on your neighbor's house and then if it burns down then you get the money and you have no other obligations, or you have no interest otherwise. that is, you want to bet on the failure of someone or in this case the whole economy, like greece. that creates incentives so that rather than getting loans on the market which are normal loans, you have spreads that make it much more difficult for countries to survive and economies to survive. >> rose: so the interest rates you can borrow money for are much higher than they would be otherwise. >> that's right. well, they were, we do hope that they're slowly going down right now since we have taken these very severe austerity measures and they have been approved by the european central bank, even
12:16 pm
by the i.m.f.. they've had a very positive response to these measures. what we are doing is we are determined to make whatever is necessary to put our economy on a path which is a viable one and a competitive one. but, of course, we do need to borrow as other countries need to borrow and if in borrowing we have very high rates that will then undermine our efforts to make this change. so what we have asked is that there is a solidarity both from the european union and, of course, around the world, but particularly from the european union, of which we are a member. the so-called euro zone, or the euro area, so that we do guarantee... we are guaranteed that we can borrow at normal rates as other countries in the euro zone. >> rose: okay. when you saw this challenge, when did you know this was going to be the challenge for you as prime minister? >> well, i came in, as you know, just a few months ago. i was elected with a large
12:17 pm
majority and the mandate from the greek people was a mandate of change. so i did come in on a mandate of change. people did want changes in the administration, in the health care system, education system. actually, in a whole developmental model to move greece from a country which was basically built around a lot of housing and construction and so on and i would say more of the... more of a conventional economy into a green economy. and greece has here great potential because of the sun, the wind, the geothermal energy, but also because we can link this green economy with high-quality products and tourism, green tourism, green agricultural products, mediterranean products are, foot and diet and so on which is supposed to be one of the best in the world. so this is where we're moving. but what happened, of course, is because what was uncovered was we had a huge deficit. >> rose: almost 12%, 13% of your
12:18 pm
gross... >> that's right, 12.7% of g.d.p. which was double the one which we had expected, or which was announced officially before the elections. and that, of course, made it more difficult for us and jittery in the markets so we had to immediately set up an austerity program, a program which we call in the european union... officially it's called stability and growth program to cut down 4% of the deficit in 2010. and then to get to 3% total deficit by 2012, which is a very harsh and a very ambitious program. >> rose: does that put your government at risk to massive demonstrations in the street? >> first of all, the greek people realize we do need to make change and we do need to take some harsh measures. these, of course, are emergency measures. it's sort of measures that make sure that we're... our economy takes a good breath and then is
12:19 pm
on the right track to make the deeper changes which we need to make in the administration, making our economy more competitive, cutting down bureaucracy and so on. so the emergency measures, yes, they are hurting. but i think and i believe even from the polls but also from the fact that we do have a wide majority even in the parliament we do have the support to make this change. people realize that we need... greece needs to change and that greece would be a better place as we take these measures. >> rose: but you have to make an argument to people who've worked for the government, in the public sector, because of mistakes on the part of this government you have to undergo this austere new pressure on your salary, your benefits, what you had expected to have. >> well, let me make a correction, mistakes on the part of the previous government. >> rose: exactly. >> i've only been in for three or four months.
12:20 pm
actually, five months now. so we took over with inheriting a very difficult situation. so people say, okay, yes, the previous government did create a problem and did not manage the economy as it should. they realize, therefore, that we are the ones that have to make the changes and i think that is where we have a confluence of people because we are the ones actually making these changes. now, i think you have a point in saying that we need to look at the social fabric, the question of social cohesion if you like, the disparate sometimes, or the fact that when we're talking about emergency measures that often hits the main street, if you like, and... like increasing the v.a.. a.t., the taxes, or cutting some of the salaries in the civil services, the people in civil services all the way from my salary to the civil servant in local government. so we do have a sense of justice. but it does hurt the majority of
12:21 pm
the people and that's why we're talking also about making deeper change which is will, for example, revamp our tax system so it's more just, so that the rich do pay their dues and also takes off a lot of the burden or some of the burden for the wage earners. and this is, of course, a very important point to... as we face this crisis, this economic crisis, that the crisis-- and this is not just a greek problem-- the crisis is not thrown on those who actually have no or very little responsibility for this financial crisis. >> rose: what steps are you taking in terms of getting new funds to immediately meet the deficit demands? >> well, first of all, we are borrowing and we have been on the market. just after the recent measure wes took, we went to the markets and we borrowed another $5 billion. >> rose: $5 billion euros. >> which would be around around
12:22 pm
approximately $7 billion. and we were oversubscribed which means there was more money offered to us than we had asked for, which is a positive sign. and we were... we borrowed those who lent us money. we were very, very... how do you say credible groups and banks and pension funds around the world. so they air force basely trust us. now, at the same time, the spreads, the so-called spreadstor interest rates were high. higher than those in other parts of the european union and since we are in a common currency that makes thing mrs. difficult in the long run to be viable and competitive. so what we're saying is we need to cut this spread, cut these interest rates and you need sometimes in some form of intervention, some type of an organization in other parts of the world it might be the i.m.f.
12:23 pm
that says "i have a reserve here which, if you need and if you see your spreads too high or if you can't borrow-- that's not the case with greece, we can borrow-- but if your spreads are too high then we are here to give you money at a lower rate. you will have to go through a austerity program-- which we actually are doing, so we could actually follow that path. another way would be, of course, to have the european union, which doesn't have the... that type of a body, it doesn't have a european monetary fund as the i.m.f. exists and that now is being discussed because of greece and i do hope that europe does create that and i do hope that greece becomes the opportunity out of this crisis but we may need an ad hoc mechanism if we see that the spreads continue to be high when we go out to borrow again. >> rose: you stopped and saw other governments before you came to the united states. what are they telling you about their willingness to go be-to-bat for you? >> i would say that there is a
12:24 pm
wider sense of solidarity within the european union. this is developed over the years of course. we are a very large union, we are 27 countries recently expanded from 15. but there is a spirit there and there's a spirit that we need to further strengthen our coordination in order to be able to deal with issues such as financial crisis because if we work together in unison we can be powerful in making sure that the markets work for us in a good way, or, for example, if we unite on the issue of climate change, which we have, we have a powerful voice in dealing with issue of c.o. 2 emissions and greening our economies but also greening the world and helping the planet not over heat and create huge problems for future generations. so there is a sense of solidarity and when in crisis... one country is in crisis there is this sense of help from other countries. now, each country has its
12:25 pm
specific constitutions and specific laws and possibilities so there are... >> rose: and specific political pressures. >> and political pressures, yes. >> rose: because it's different from f from merkel than sarkozy. some of her constituents are saying "we are being asked to bail out the greek government because they were profligate in terms of how they handle their budgeting." >> yes. and that's why i was... one of the reasons i went to germany and talked to chancellor merkel. she knows this, of course, but i did want to speak to the german puck slick that we're not asking for a bailout. we're not asking to money for from the germans. we're saying what we want to be able to do is to get loan which is we'll pay back but at a rate which is a viable rate and which is a normal rate and a competitive one compared to other countries. just give you an example. when we borrow $5 billion, we pay approximately $600, $700 billion more in interest than
12:26 pm
germany pays. so... and a common single market and a single currency that would mean that we would be less competitive and there would be greater burden on us. so in the long run this would not help not only us but it would not help germany. because we are a common economy. we buy german products, germans come to greece as tourists and to our islands, to our beaches, to our mountain villages, to our museums. so there is a lot of interdependence and therefore it is in germany's interest to see that greece does develop and does have... does prosper. so what we're saying-- and that was my message to the germans-- no, we're not asking for you to carry the burden of what we have to do. but secondly, we also are taking the measures. so we are saying, yes, we're taking the medicine. it's difficult medicine, but what we want is your solidarity
12:27 pm
so that we can actually implement this in a realistic way and in a realistic timetable >> rose: it has also raised the question in a very strong way of what's called sovereign debt, as you know. >> yes. >> rose: and caused people looking at the global economic picture to say "could other countries be far behind?" they point especially to spain, portugal, and italy. is this a case that may be an indication of the future? the question of a government borough too much money and maybe at risk of economic collapse that would have a domino effect? >> i think we... you have an interesting point here. first of all, the fact that we may go through a difficult time because of the crisis, because of the international crisis should mean that we could... we
12:28 pm
should not be overpenalized for this international crisis. now, countries will go through crises and they do have to put their economies in order, or if you like, take stringent measures as we have to get through this crisis because of the... for example in spain there was the collapse of the construction industry. they had a lot of profit on that in recent years and that created unemployment, created problems in their economy. but they're generally a healthy economy, spain is a healthy economy. so it shouldn't be penalized for the fact that one of its industries collapsed because of a financial crisis. so we have to see ways how we can make this transition into more... into a normal growth rate through this crisis. and that's where i think we need the necessary regulations so it doesn't metastasize, one crisis
12:29 pm
doesn't create the fear of risk, the here in this could create another lehman brother domino affect. >> rose: you have said you will not let greece be another lehman brothers. >> absolutely. >> rose: because when lehman brothers went down it had a huge affect on the rest of wall street. >> and the rest of the world. >> rose: what impact might it have in terms of the financial picture of the united states? >> well, obviously you could have... there are many things. i don't want to be a doomsayer and i don't want to create any problems. >> rose: but at least you have to understand the risk. >> yes. i think what we need to do is we have to see that there could create imbalances, for example, in the exchange rate between the euro and the dollar. obviously the u.s. wants to... is on a track and president obama is on a track with putting the economy back into an export mode into a more developing and great developing green economy here. so that would have an effect on the balance of payments, it would have an effect on the dollar, it would have an effect
12:30 pm
on exports. >> rose: i hear you saying the focus of these conversations is really going to be about regulation, more than any other subject. >> what i do know as a lawmaker and head of government is we do need regulation. what i do here is that this word is taken... people fear the word of regulation. >> rose: because they think it impedes growth. >> i'll take a very simplistic example. it's like saying we don't need traffic lights because they slow down cars. they do slow down cars, but they also make sure that we avoid accidents. and they do help us in... in regulating traffic. now, you could have overregulation, too, which could stifle innovation, but you need regulation so that you don't have the concentration of so much power in the hands of a few people, so much lack of transparency where decisions are made beyond the borders of our democratic processes or where
12:31 pm
the actual political system is captured by special interests. and this happens in many countries, it happens in the united states, it happens to n greece, it happens in europe because governments cannot stand up to these special interests. >> rose: okay, let's talk about speculation a minute because there are two aspects of that. number one, there's some investigation in terms of the united states in terms of what speculators may be doing. on the other hand, there are questions being raised as to what bankers may have done in order to cover up debt that greek government was incurring in order to meet certain requirements. can you tell us what you think about that? the notion that american financial institutions came to your country and helped previous government governments cover up the extent of greece, their debt. >> well, first of all we are... we have set up an investigation in our parliament concerning the
12:32 pm
whole issue of statistics and making sure we will have transparent statistics in greece. we actually set up a completely independent statistical agency in the government and the particle some there will be a check and balance here and the euro stat... european statistical agency will also participate in this agency which we have set up at the international level. so first of all we want transparent statistics so everybody in our country and also around the world know what's happening with the greek economy. we know we can get out of this crisis, we're moving out of this crisis and we want to show the world we're doing it in the right way. secondly we're looking back and seeing what the problem was, where the responsibility was so we'll get to that also. >> rose: do you believe there may have been financial institutions who helped the greek government cover up the level of their debt? >> well, i wouldn't use the word "cover up." i would use the word that these financial instruments which some
12:33 pm
people called innovation and they called them here in the united states innovation were exportd from the u.s. to around the world and not only greece but around the world of how you use accounting rules in one way or another to... it was then legitimately... >> rose: it would appear to date at a later time. >> the debt requirements and so on. so, in fact, these were legitimate tools at the time. now, these legitimate tools, of course, obviously yes created problems of too much leverage in banks or all these so called structured bonds and so on. these types of tools are what we're paying for right now, this o peek non-transparent way of dealing with this... >> rose: and that's the kind of subject you want to talk to american authorities about, american governmental officials.
12:34 pm
>> well, i will basically... and i have said this publicly. yes, we welcome any types of investigations first of all just to make sure... just to see what has happened in the past, but not only for greece but i think this is something which is useful for our financial system throughout the world so that we make sure that when we're building our economies, we're building them on sound basis which won't be rattled simply by a bubble somewhere on this planet. >> rose: you may have said that greece should not be a crisis but a case study. >> that's right. that's right. i would like to see greece as a case study which we are now handling, of course, and very difficult and a huge responsibility on me personally but i'm taking that responsibility, i'm taking the difficult measures and we are ready to do so. but it's not a happy situation and we'd like to see that this doesn't happen again. so i hope that greece can become an opportunity both for europe to strengthen its coordination for that type of similar
12:35 pm
situations, also to look into the euro and see there are certain instruments that the euro needs. for example, something like a european monetary fund, more of a coordinated fiscal policy, but also see how we do this around the world. >> rose: this has led to discussions about a european monetary fund that would be there as an emergency measure in the future. >> that's right. >> rose: it's on the table for consideration. >> yes. i would say it's on the table, it hasn't been officially put on the table but it has already been discussed in public. and i see that there's a willingness amongst many in the european union to look for these new types of new tools. we talk about, for example, more coordinated economic governance in the european union. i think that's a good thing. it's a good thing and it would be a good thing not only for europe, it would be a good thing for the world. >> rose: just to make sure i understand this. essentially the message you got from chancellor merkel and president sarkozy and others is that if it's necessary as a last resort for the european union to step in, they're prepared to do
12:36 pm
that. >> yes. that's right. that's... >> rose: that's the guarantee you got from them? >> that's the guarantee we have not only from them but from 27 members, actually, two weeks ago this has reaffirmed in a very strong way this that if... last... if there is a... if push comes to shove, let's put it that way, there will be a solidarity from the european union. >> and what about the international monetary fund? >> well, we haven't... we never ruled the international monetary fund out and we leave open as a possibility. we hope that we won't need any of that kind of help that the market will respond positively to the changes that we made and the i.m.f. has said that if he were f we were now under the i.m.f. auspices they would say that, yes, what you have done is right, is correct, we wouldn't ask for... >> rose: but it would be there
12:37 pm
if necessary? >> they would be there if necessary in that case, but assume that one country goes to the i.m.f., what they then would say is you take the measures, we put the money on the table. sort of like putting a gun on the table so that the markets don't speculate. now that's what would happen. now we have as i said... we don't they that would be necessary but we keep that option open if we things don't go the way we hope they go. >> rose: you faced some of the same questions at a more severe level right now that the president and other heads of state face, which is if you want to revitalize an economy and off deficit issue and a need to stimulate the economy how do you make those two ideas converge? >> yeah, that's... that's a very important question. and i think the two answers here. one is making government smarter. making government more effective. and we have maybe even more so than in the united states a lot
12:38 pm
of leeway to do so. there has been a lot of waste. there there has been at times clientalism and politics which have increased, let's say, for example, a huge debt of our hospitals without that being necessary. and the o.a.c.d. reports they said we could reduce waste in hospitals by 30% while increasing the quality of the services we give. so we do have.... >> rose: to austerity may be good? >> in that sense, yes. it is remodeling, reorganizations our administration, making sure that the money we put in, our taxpayers money actually does go to where we... where it should go. it does... it is really valued and does bring out the necessary results, whether they're in services or growth. up? how do you stimulate the economy at the same time beyond that? >> to that. >> that's the second point and that's the growth point and that's where we need investment. luckily within the european
12:39 pm
union countries like greece have an important help from the so-called structural funds, that's a european term. don't want to burden you with these term bus they are funds which allow us to invest in infrastructure, for example in i.t. and information technology and the superhighways and so on, and green economy and so on. >> rose: green technology. >> and we have about $16 billion allotted to us from the european union, which is a huge amount, very big amount. and we will use this in public/private cooperation to bring in private investment and i'll use this as a plug if you like. yes, greece is now i think becoming a very interesting place for investment because of the changes we are making, cutting down in bureaucracy, make things more transparent. for example, the aegean islands have a huge potential for wind,
12:40 pm
green technology. just think of an island to be even a prototype because it's an island and we have all different types of islands, smaller and bigger ones, where you can say let us see if we can have a complete carbon-neutral island. there's no carbon emissions at all. and see what that means for society, for their electricity, for their power, for their community life, for education, for the types of jobs, for the tourism we create where people can live in a very different... see what it would mean to live in this kind of society. so i think we have a... we will through this process become a very innovative and forward-looking country and seeing how we can bring in investment and stimulate private investment around the world. >> rose: larger geopolitical questions are being raised by the crisis in greece. it is about the your mean union. when you try to stitch together with one common currency dispirit economies-- disparate
12:41 pm
economies, this shows that it didn't work. secondly it says in some cases that the european idea is dead. >> i would differ with these two opinions. first of all the fact that we're going through a crisis as i said before can be an opportunity and i believe it will become an opportunity for europe to more coordinated and to be more integrated. and the fact, for example, that we're actually talking about a european monetary fund or we're talking about euro bonds, we're talking about guarantees for countries, we're talking about economic and governance in the european union i think shows the strength of europe on this. secondly, the european project, well. the european project, i think is is a unique one in a globalizing society. >> rose: the dream that began
12:42 pm
after the war. >> that's right. i will tell you where i think dream is going. the dream was after the second world war not to have any more wars on the european continent. and therefore we interweaved our economies so that we wouldn't want to go to war with each other. difference and germany, for example. that was beginning of a single market, then we became a union. we broke down the wall, berlin wall, central and eastern europe are part of this european union so, in fact, europe became a peace project, a project for democracy, a project for social cohesion and progress. we still have part of that to do in the balkans, in the western balkans, turkey is also a candidate. so cyprus is also still even though it's a member of the european union still has occupation troops, we need to solve that problem. so there are... that's still european peace project at work. but i think what is more
12:43 pm
important for a globalizing society is we have shown that, as you said, disparate economies countries with different languages, with different cultures, even different religions, count wrez different pasts from the west of the east former dictatorships, spain and portugal, can come together under a common roof and with an underpinning of common values and can work together and pool their sovereignty to deal with some of the problems of this time. now that... if that is not a model for globalization... for a governance and a globalizing world and a globalized world i don't know what is. for example, we need today to pool our sovereignty, if you like, to give a little bit of our sovereignty up, even the united states needs to do this, if we want to deal with climate change. we won't be able to govern this planet unless we all work together. well, our experience is a very difficult one, but it's also
12:44 pm
very effective one is the european. you can do it. we can work together. we can deal with these glebl issues whether it's climate change, whether it's... and we have a very clear and common position on climate change in the european union, whether it's the financial crisis, whether it's dealing with poverty and pandemics, whether it's dealing with non-proliferation... >> rose: issues that go beyond national borders. >> absolutely. >> rose: but what happened at copenhagen, do you think? >> well, i think it does show the failure-- even though it was one step, it does show the failure or the difficulties of global governance, of the fact that we are asked... this is the first generation of human beings that are being asked to actually plank a whole planet. we're not asked... we're not being asked to manage our countries but we are elected in our countries. we are heads of governments, of national governments. the fact that we have to manage very detailed issues at the global level is a very new
12:45 pm
experience in our history and we have to do this fast. so for example we have to decide how much c.o. 2 each factory or industry has to or can emit. i mean, that is... and do this at the global level, that's a huge feat. >> rose: emerging nations say we should not be held to the same standard that industrialized nations of the west have been because they have got the advantage in terms of their own growth from a lower emission standards and now when we're growing at rates that we feel necessary that we shouldn't be held to the same standards. >> rose: >> yes, well i think there are two points here. one is... this is right. historically we have destroyed our environment or used our environment in a capricious way
12:46 pm
without being careful of what we were doing. we weren't very conscious of it initially many years ago. now that we are more conscious of this, of course, this becomes a very heated issue. we do an historical responsibility. at the same time... and therefore we do need to help the emerging economies. at the same time, when we talk about emerging economies, we're talking about different economies, too. china is a different economy and the... some of the subsaharan african countries are very poor and think ear different economies so i wouldn't put them the same bag. china doesn't need financial aid china has the possibility of transforming its economy on its own. other countries in africa, for example, need that financial aid they need that help. but i would say there are certain issues here, we are deficit here... the problem here
12:47 pm
is that we are being asked to... the developed countries are being asked to pay for the developing countries but that the point it's the developed countries that have the huge deficit while the developing countries the ones that have the surplus. so we need to pool our resources and there are a number of issues here. first is one, well, what if we had something like the world bank or some other bank where we could pool resources and use these resources to mobilize capital around the world to help the developing countries but also to help the emerging... the strong emerging economies to transform their technologies. secondly, why not look at other ways of funding? we're talking about things like a carbon tax which could be redistributive. for example, a car bonn tax if we had it across the board around the world could be funding then those countries that need help but it would be incentive for count countries that have carbon emissions to
12:48 pm
cut down on those emissions. transaction tax. we have capital going from one country to another moving at the speed of light and there have been issues even about that. if but that could be something like tens of billions which could be used then for aid and development of the new technologies. so we do have some of the instruments at the global level if we want to deal with this problem and deal with this contradiction if you like between the developing and developed worlds. >> in terms of... two questions before we close. you speak with that question of climate change with a certain passion. is more so than you speak about the deficit crisis, if i may say so. but is climate change going to be a casualty of... and other aspects of governance of this economic crisis where the focus has to be raised?
12:49 pm
>> that's a good question. well, first of all, i speak of it with more passion because i know we will get beyond the deficit problem if greece and we will deal with that. but the climate change issue is one which is looming and it will be much more catastrophic if we don't deal with it. many of our islands will be underwater, for example, in greece. we already are feeling the effects of so-called decertification, we're losing our forests. problems with water. and this is not a greek problem, of course this is a worldwide problem. you see these changes. sgres a very beautiful country, it's a tourist country. and we want to... and this beauty is the base of our culture so we want to leave... first of all we want to be able to live in a country which is a viable country and we want to leave our country to the future generations of all this beauty and culture. but this is not a greek problem, this is a world problem and the mediterranean will be hit and europe will be hit and other parts of the world will be hit so that's why i speak with, if
12:50 pm
you like, more passion about this because i think it's something that's looming and something we need to deal with. what you're saying is what people on the street will say, well, we don't have jobs, why talk about the climate, let's look for... look at our jobs. >> rose: well, they're saying that's do that first. >> let's do that first. what i would say is let's combine it. let's combine it. and if we combine these two we may even have more jobs. not we may, we will certainly have more jobs. there will be more quality jobs, they'll be better jobs and they will be more viable jobs. that is more durable jobs and not simply competing to the bottom if you're racing to the bottom to see who has lower wages as we're doing right now between different economies. if we create the framework worldwide-- and that's why i think mexico is... the meeting in mexico this year is very
12:51 pm
important-- the necessary frameworks where we can help create the incentives for investment in a green economy we will have many more jobs. we'll mobilize money, we'll mobilize investment in new technologies and these technologies will transform our economies. and in that transformation we will create viable economies and jobs and a better future for our children. >> rose: one question about the united states. you have been a long time friend. your father lived here, he you lived here. >> i was born in minnesota. >> rose: how do you see us today? we have a new president a year into his administration. he inherited lots of problems. his domestic priorities are in trouble. >> well, i think the new administration and particularly barack obama has created a great deal of hope and has changed the
12:52 pm
image of the united states around the world after an administration was quite isolated but also linked with wars such as the iraqi war and one which was very unpopular around the world and created a lot of polarization. i believe that people are looking for u.s. leadership at a time when we do see power shifting to different parts of the world and i would say that the dilemma we have is do we create a more rigorous system at the global level of some rules and regulations... and i know this in the united states is often seen as a taboo subject or a negative thing such as the united nations. i'm not talking necessarily about the united nations only. i'm talking about the fact that
12:53 pm
we need to govern this planet and we need to work together to govern this planet. but on what rules? with what values? who's going to name decisions? how are we going to make sure that everyone is represented? well the answer to these questions is where the united states and i would say working with europe could be forces of stability, forces of making sure the values of say democracy, human rights, rule of law are impleplgted at the global level and we bring in countries like china. we bring in areas like africa, latin america, india into this new global system in a way which we make sure it is a viable one. that is the positive scenario. the negative scenario would be sma that we start moving into an era of competition, of power. between different centers of power, different regions of power, where there's less
12:54 pm
understanding and more fear, much more scapegoating during the... concerning the problems that we have for this climate change or competition for energy poverty and so on. and where we create fundamentalisms and culture clashes and then we get into a world with which... where we'll see much more conflict and disparity and suffering in the future generations >> we're at a very crucial moment and this is where the u.s. can play a very important role. >> rose: mr. prime minister thank you very much for joining us on this program. >> thank you very much. >> good to see you again. >> thank you. >> rose: prime minister papen devil ray you of greece visiting the president of house, the secretary of state, the finance secretary and others. thank you for joining us.
12:55 pm
captioning sponsored by rose communications captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org ♪
12:56 pm
♪ if you've had a coke in the last 20 years, ( screams ) you've had a hand in giving college scholarships... and support to thousands of our nation's... most promising students. ♪ ( coca-cola 5-note mnemonic )
12:57 pm
12:58 pm
12:59 pm

142 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on