Skip to main content

tv   North Carolina News at 9.00 am  CBS  November 26, 2016 9:00am-10:00am EST

9:00 am
narrator: today, on animal atlas... we'll stalk with the tiger... (roaring) talk with the dolphin... (chirping) and squawk with the parrot. (squawking) as we discover how animals communicate. it's all coming up now on animal atlas. (barking) welcome to animal atlas. come with us around the globe. and explore the animal world. nimals. and desert creatures. we'll meet wildlife on the savanna. and see our underwater friends. and animals from the arctic circle. anywhere, everywhere animals live. it's always an adventure when you tour the planet with animal atlas.
9:01 am
wouldn't it be great to know what they're thinking? or understand what they're saying to each other. (chirping) well, you might be surprised to learn, you can! animals don't need words for good communication. (shrieking) and neither do we. humans and animals communicate all the time. whether in the form of showing affection with a pet, or training a companion, or knowing when it's time to give an animal its space. (roaring) there are some thoughts that can be easily conveyed. (roaring) and hopefully obeyed. even between species. so let's start by exploring some the animal world's best communicators. (barking) perhaps the most advanced communicator among non-human animals is the dolphin.
9:02 am
athletic and social. even with members of a different species. in fact it's their social nature that makes dolphins such excellent communicators. and when you consider how smart they are, it's really no wonder that they are some of the most advanced communicators in the animal kingdom. dolphins vocalize with clicks, chirps and whistles that can even be heard when they're out of the water. but travel even farther when the dolphin is in the water. dolphins have been shown to have their own individual names called signature whistles. they use their own whistles during greetings, as if to introduce themselves. (clicking) dolphins can be very polite. for an animal, saying your name is a pretty neat trick. but that's not all they can do. once a dolphin has learned another dolphin's whistle,
9:03 am
(chirping) beluga whales are closely related to dolphins. and they are also excellent communicators... (chirping) ...who make a wide range of sounds. but one beluga whale who lived in captivity for 30 years, surprised his keepers one day when he started mumbling in a way that sounded a lot like human speech. or at least the way human speech would sound if someone had been listening from under water for 30 years. a group of people talking outside before he realized it was the whale. hello! but you don't have to be underwater to find impressive communicators. common ravens are known for their great communication skills, too. ravens can identify their mate's call. (cawing)
9:04 am
(cawing) sound familiar? ravens are also known for mimicking human speech. oh, yeah! oh, yeah! people who have kept ravens as pets have been fooled into thinking someone else was home when their ravens started talking. oh, yeah! anyone else out there in the animal world wanna take a stab at mimicking human speech? you perhaps? (squawking) or do you just want a cracker? everyone knows parrots can be taught to say words. they may not have lips, but their voice box can mimic the sounds humans make. sometimes extremely well. but do they know what they're saying? an african gray parrot named alex, could identify and name over 50 objects. and while that might not be evidence of language
9:05 am
but what about body language? humans smile to show friendly intentions. but non-human primates also know how to pull back their lips and show their teeth in a grimace or smile. but does it have the same meaning? this chimp certainly looks like she's having a great time. if humans smile when they're happy, our nearest relatives must, too, right? so much. just because we share dna with chimpanzees, and some striking physical features, we can't really ascribe our own emotional responses to their behaviors. they are a different species with their own set of societal rules. smiling in chimpanzees is not a sign of friendliness at all, but anxiety. this is called a fear grin. (gibbering) and it's often seen on low-ranking chimps when a high-ranking chimp approaches.
9:06 am
(gibbering) this kind of grin can mean fear, anxiety, or submission. but this grin is a definite sign of hostility. and if the message isn't coming through loud and clear, go ahead and add some vocalizations. (gibbering) when a chimpanzee's mouth is slightly open and its facial expression is relaxed, it's inviting play or socialization. come on over! and this pouty face isn't asking for a kiss. it's asking for food. y. hey, what's for dinner? when we come back, we'll stand guard with the prairie dogs. set up a play date with some primates and work out with some wild cats. but first, see if you can take a guess at our first animal fact.
9:07 am
9:08 am
9:09 am
: we're back! did you guess the right answer to our question? (narrator reading) the answer is the pant-hoot. (gibbering) and that's because that's what it sounds like. a breathy hooting that turns into a louder and louder panting. it's an expression of excitement used in greetings. and also when traveling, or reaching a good food source. individual chimps make slightly different pant-hoots. and seem to recognize the pant-hoots of others. chimpanzees make plenty of other vocalizations too. and combined with their body language cues
9:10 am
but how do animals learn to communicate? (gibbering) well, in social species, like chimpanzees, the younger members of the group are constantly observing the adults. then they try out their tactics on each other... (screeching) or on a nearby adult to see if they're doing it right. (squeaking) prairie dogs are highly social too. and one of their most important forms of communication is... (squeaking) the alarm call. prairie dogs live underground. and that home is generally safe from predators. but they have to come aboveground to find food. while they're out and about, someone stands watch and if a predator walks... (barking) or flies by... (screeching) the guard dog gives a loud call and everyone runs to the nearest burrow entrance.
9:11 am
u'd think these adorable animals don't have a care in the world. (squeaking) they'll learn. of course, play is about more than just learning how to communicate. (gibbering) it looks like this gorilla is having fun. and like this chimpanzee is just goofing around. but play in the animal world is serious business. in fact, it's a matter of life and death. that doesn't sound fun at all. but for animals including humans, play is often about practicing those behaviors that are necessary for survival. just without the dire consequences. at least, at this stage of the game. (mewing) everyone knows how playful cats can be. in the wild, these carnivores will need well-honed hunting skills if they want to eat. so, by playing, they get to practice stalking
9:12 am
all that practice not only teaches the skill, but strengthens the body. play is a good workout. what looks like carefree fun as otters slip and slide into the water is getting them ready to find, pursue and capture prey. otters have to be excellent swimmers if they hope to catch any fish. once again, what looks like play is actually helping to build muscles s. and what look like an otter taking its leisure is actually yet another skill being acquired. sea otters might look like they're just whiling away the hours on their backs, but that's just their way of creating a floating dinner table. because this is where they eat. sea otters keep a favorite rock handy that they use to break open mussels and clams. and if it doesn't learn this skill, the sea otter doesn't eat.
9:13 am
if you're looking for wild playgrounds... (screeching) ...you might try following a great ape. or a monkey. or one of the lesser apes like the gibbon. this looks like more fun than a barrel of monkeys. but it's another skill for survival. traveling through the trees by swinging on your arms is called brachiating. gibbons make hand over hand acrobatics look easy. and these guys spend a lot of time eating, sleeping and just hanging out in the trees. in fact their scientific name, hylobatidae, means "tree dweller." keep swinging. practice makes perfect. (gibbering) and here's a member of the gibbon family who has to learn more than just acrobatics, the siamang.
9:14 am
lates with air and amplifies its voice. the siamang's calls and songs can be heard for over two miles. and what's the point of making such a fuss? communication, naturally. (screeching) siamangs sing to claim their territory and even engage in duets to call out that a mating pair lives there. (hooting) owls have territorial calls. (chirping) and so do songbirds. geese have contact calls for locating their mate. but this peacock is all about visual communication when it comes to impressing the peahens. in fact a lot of the communication happening in the animal world is about finding... (howling) (roaring) ...getting and keeping a mate. and that often means defending your territory.
9:15 am
lions defend their territories by roaring. (roaring) and wolves defend their territories by howling. (howling) fireflies find mates by flashing their lights. greater prairie chickens attract females by displaying. and red-crowned cranes strengthen their bonds with a vocal duet. (hooting) you probably don't think of deer as being vocal. just to let their rivals know how tough they are. (roaring) it costs a lot less energy to walk and talk than to fight. when we come back, we'll meet some ravenous ravens, horse around with some horses and explore the magical world of humans communicating with animals.
9:16 am
(narrator reading) don't go away.
9:17 am
9:18 am
9:19 am
e back! did you get the right answer to our question? (narrator reading) the answer is the jump-yip. black-tailed prairie dogs are famous for their jump-yip which is often used in territorial displays. to do a jump-yip, the prairie dogs stand up tall, give a call, jump into the air and wave their arms around. sounds more like the hokey pokey to me. well, stomping on the ground is one way to make a statement.
9:20 am
s are able to communicate over long distances by sending and sensing seismic vibrations through the ground. that's right they hear with their feet and trunks. (trumpeting) the stomping of an elephant's charge can be felt up to 20 miles away. but the elephants also make very low vocal rumbles. too low, in fact, for humans to hear at all. the vibrations from these vocalizations travel through the ground, too, for nearly 10 miles. that's one way to make a long-distance phone call. and here's another... in winter, when food is scarce, hundreds of ravens may gather at a carcass to feed. but how did they know where to find it? ravens actively recruit others from miles and miles around. but why? why share a huge meal that could last a winter? (cawing) because a few young ravens on their own
9:21 am
y ravens are calling for backup. ravens also communicate with other species. a raven will fly up to a wolf and fan its tail in a signal that says, "follow me." then lead the wolf to a large carcass. again, why share? it's not out of the goodness of its heart, but because the raven can't always open a carcass on its own. clever bird! if two different species can communicate, how about humans and other animals? (clicking) of course they can! and it can be a lot of fun! zookeepers communicate with the animals they care for as a way to monitor their health and wellbeing. and to get the animals used to routine care like medical exams and blood draws. captivity provides a unique opportunity for humans to communicate with wild animals
9:22 am
zookeepers know that in the wild animals would be using their noses to communicate, too, to hunt for prey and to look out for predators. in fact, a good sense of smell keeps prey animals, like zebras, alive. (neighing) as soon as the catch the scent of a predator on the wind, they're outta here. some animals leave a trail of scents, to warn others of their territory. or, when mixed with chemicals known as pheromones, to attract a mate. alligators secrete a stinky cloud of mate-attracting perfume that hangs in the air above their swamps during breeding season. phew! by watching the way in which captive animals communicate with each other, zookeepers and animal trainers can begin to understand just how complex animal relationships can be. and that gives us insight
9:23 am
in captivity have created very strong bonds with their keepers. and have brought inter-species communication to a whole new level. (growling) great apes have learned to use sign language to express themselves. and some have been taught to point to symbols as a way communicate. these animals are literally having conversations with their human companions. and what about humans communicating with non-wild animals like horses or dogs most interactions between humans are horses are based around training. but our relationship with dogs and cats goes even deeper. our animal companions become like extended family. even the most aloof house cats. and we often feel like we know what they're thinking. are were really communicating with them? you bet! (purring) how does a dog tell you that it's happy? it wags its tail.
9:24 am
(purring) it purrs. of course that doesn't mean that it likes you. so how important is communication within the animal world? extremely important. and just because animals don't have words, doesn't mean they aren't communicating. from vocal communication... (cawing) to body language, to pheromones... (buzzing) animals communicate in order to get what they want. sometimes it's about food. and sometimes it's about territory. and often it's about finding a mate. (roaring) but no matter what it's about, an animal will find a way to get its point across. visit us at animalatlas.tv. man 1: the internet, you say? man 2: oh, i say.
9:25 am
9:26 am
9:27 am
jess: hey look, it's those guys. [music]
9:28 am
[music] bud: whoa, cute! shawn: shut-up. jess: are you good to drive? shawn: i'm fine. [music] [police siren] jess: how many did you have? shawn: i should be fine. jess: you should be? out of the vehicle for me. shawn: yes, sir. bud: see ya, buddy. today, shawn's got a hearing, we'll see how it goes. good luck! so, it turns out buzzed driving and drunk driving, they're the same thing and it costs around $10,000. so not worth it.
9:29 am
announcer: don't wait. communicate.
9:30 am
>> ushaka: today, we are going to wrangle a giraffe and take him on the journey of a lifetime. so buckle up and get ready for a wild ride, because this is africa-- this is "safari tracks." >> men: (singing african language) >> ushaka: kunjani! i am ushaka. if you ever wanted to know how to move a giraffe, today is your lucky day. we're following a team of scientists as they move more than 50 giraffes
9:31 am
all of the action from start to finish. but before we meet up with the science team, let's check in on some of africa's most famous hairless critters. ?? >> ushaka: many creatures in africa don't know the meaning of a bad hair day. these creatures get by with just the skin on tir (warthogs snorting) >> ushaka: social grooming habits for warthogs may include styling each other's thin manes by running them through their teeth like a comb. but for the most part, these little piggies are almost completely bald... and beautiful. since their sausage-shaped bodies have very little hair or subcutaneous fat, warthogs are very susceptible to colder temperatures and dampness,
9:32 am
under the scalding african sun, the little ones like to stay in their mamas' shadows to keep cool. mud baths are a sloppy way to beat the heat, too. to protect themselves from the elements and predators, warthogs also dig deep burrows. inside, the temperature stays pretty constant. sometimes, warthogs even line their dens with fresh cut grass that's what i call "pork shui." (warthog snorting) >> ushaka: now, you might think it's impossible to envy a monitor lizard. think again. their tough skin may look rough and unattractive to us. check this out-- these lovable lizards never get acne. okay, what's up with that, huh? acne is caused by hair follicles that are plugged up
9:33 am
reptiles have no hair follicles. therefore, no acne either. so the next time someone says "you've got lizard skin," you might just take it as a compliment. (storks crying) >> ushaka: marabou storks could be the poster birds for receding hairlines. but look past their bald, scabby heads, meat cleaver beaks and saggy pink air sacks, and you'll discover their positive attributes far outweigh their shortcomings in the looks department. by cleaning up carcasses and other rubbish on the savanna, marabou storks actually reduce the spread of dangerous pathogens and disease. and thanks to their featherless heads, they don't have to worry about bacteria sticking to their head. and get this, my friends-- they even clean up the silverware after they eat. after one of these storks
9:34 am
that had been dropped by a field worker in kenya, the bird later regurgitated it, spotlessly clean. huh, i wonder if that bird does windows, too. (lion roars) (elephant trumpets) ?? >> ushaka: now that we've seen the importance of hair in the wild, let's leave the salon and check out another important body part-- the tongue. he a about a crocodile's mouth that's easy to swallow-- he's got salt glands on his tongue. these tiny glands help a croc secrete excess salt from his body. as a result, a croc can spend long periods of time in saltwater. on the other hand, since the croc's cousins, the alligators, lack salt glands on their tongues, they are almost totally restricted
9:35 am
>> ushaka: the tongue is one of a dog's most important organs. not only are dog tongues useful for lapping up water and kissing pack mates, the tongue is also critical for a dog's heat regulation. when wild dogs run, increased blood flow makes their tongues swell and hang out of their mouths. but this isn't just pointless drooling, my friends. panting actually cools a dog's entire body. the quick, shallow breaths force the moisture on the tongue to evaporate. all this heavy breathing cools the blood running through the tongue and the respiratory system, lowering his body temperature. this dawg is truly chillin'. >> ushaka: were you ever to be kissed by a hyena, you would quickly realize he's got a very rough tongue. hyenas have tiny little hooks on their tongues that mean they can eat
9:36 am
but a hyena kiss by itself probably wouldn't kill you. a leopard kiss, however, is a whole different story. like a domestic house cat, a leopard also has a rough tongue. but while a house cat's tongue is merely scratchy, a leopard's tongue is so coarse it can literally peel off the fur and skin of a prey animal. whoa! don't go away. our amazing giraffe relocation
9:37 am
9:38 am
?? >> ushaka: i hope you're ready for some heavy lifting, because it's time to move some giraffes. now the giraffes don't know it yet, but they just received a one-way ticket to paradise. and they're going to love their new home. but don't be surprised if they aren't quite as excited about the trip as we are. they don't travel much, so it's going to take a little convincing
9:39 am
>> ushaka: meet africa's reticulated giraffes, named so for their striking pattern. they are one of nine subspecies of giraffes found in africa. reticulated giraffes are native to northeastern kenya, ethiopia and somalia. they're easy to see because of their large, tan spots that a p with white lines. and, of course, they're also easy to see because they tower over every other creature. giraffes are usually found grazing on the tops of acacia trees. these creatures always look like they're minding their own business, but from their vantage point, it's a cinch to keep track of what's going on in the neighborhood. that's why other animals are often spotted hanging out near giraffes. they know they can count on giraffes for a heads-up
9:40 am
>> ushaka: thanks to their size, giraffes can usually steer clear of wild predators, but they are vulnerable to other dangers. hunters track these animals for their meat and hides. and it's not uncommon for hunters to kill these amazing animals just for their tails. giraffes he than any other animal, up to 8 feet long, and their tail hairs are used by some african cultures to make fly swatters, thread and good luck bracelets. like elephants, giraffe populations have seen their natural habitat shrink as human development expands into the savanna. >> ushaka: forced to forage for food
9:41 am
these majestic animals are not always appreciated by their human neighbors. in fact, giraffes are sometimes shot by farmers trying to protect their crops. today, giraffes are not an endangered species, but they have been completely killed off in african countries like mozambique and senegal. conservation organizations are working to protect these animals. and one important way they're achieving this goal is by restoring and repopulating one of kenya's national treasures-- the famous meru national park. in the 1970s, meru was overflowing with wildlife, and welcomed tens of thousands of tourists every year. the park was made famous by the book "born free,"
9:42 am
>> ushaka: but less than ten years later, the park's wildlife had been nearly wiped out by poachers. hunters killed all of the rhinos and more than 90% of the elephants that lived in meru. >> ushaka: the international fund for animal welfare, or ifaw, is working with and other sponsors and donors to restore meru national park. part of that restoration involved repopulating the park with wild animals like elephants and rhinos. >> man: okay, okay... >> ushaka: now it's time to move more than 50 giraffes. as you can imagine, it's not that easy to move giraffes.
9:43 am
they are the tallest animals on earth. male giraffes can reach heights of 18 feet and weigh more than 3,000 pounds. females are a little smaller at 16 feet and about 2,000 pounds, but they're hardly petite. clearly, these animals need a lot of leg room, and a lot of neck room, too, so that rules out most forms of transportation. >> ushaka: giraffes are seasoned safari regulars so they don't pay too much attention as our rescue team approaches. >> ushaka: from a safe distance, the team monitors the herd activity, being careful not to scare them off. giraffes can run up to 35 miles an hour, taking single strides of 15 feet. so if frightened, they'd be out of here in a hurry. the first step is to sedate
9:44 am
scientists use a dart gun to shoot a powerful tranquilizer into the animal's hip. this doesn't hurt the animal, my friends. don't worry. as the drug begins to take effect, the animal wanders away from the herd. the team moves in quickly to capture the animal. >> ushaka: this is a critical point in the process. if a giraffe re it could easily break its neck. so the team quickly encircles the animal with ropes. this helps them bring the animal down as gently as possible. and soon, the giraffe is safely on the ground. don't go away. it's almost time for this giraffe
9:45 am
9:46 am
9:47 am
9:48 am
>> ushaka: the first step in relocating a giraffe is to gently get the animal to the ground without hurting it. >> ushaka: our rescue team has just brought down the first animal, and now the hard work begins. once the giraffe is on the ground, the team moves in to subdue it. the animal's eyes are quickly covered. this is done to help keep the animal calm. scientis b would be more frightened if it could see all the activity around it. >> ushaka: special care is given to the animal's neck, which must be kept straight to ensure proper blood flow. unlike other mammals, giraffes can only get up from a lying down position by throwing their heads and necks towards their legs. that's why the handlers
9:49 am
to keep the animal's neck flat on the ground. >> ushaka: over the next few minutes, scientists do a series of medical tests to ensure the giraffe's condition is stable. >> ushaka: the animal's ear is tagged for identification purposes. throughout the process, the giraffe is conscious, so the team must stay alert >> ushaka: after all, it's well documented that a single kick from a giraffe's powerful hooves can kill a lion. >> ushaka: next,
9:50 am
is brought in for the giraffe. the key to fitting a giraffe into a moving vehicle is to make sure it has a convertible top. >> ushaka: slowly, the team works together to guide the animal into the stall. >> ushaka: the giraffe may seem bewildered and disoriented, but every precaution is taken to ensure
9:51 am
>> ushaka: again, the eyes are kept covered to minimize the giraffe's exposure to all of the human activity. >> ushaka: and so begins the first part of this giraffe's journey that will take him across kenya to meru national park. >> ushaka: as the tractor reaches full speed, the giraffe enjoys a rush of wind. >> ushaka: eventually, all of the giraffes designated for relocation are moved
9:52 am
this is just a rest stop on the way to their final destination. here, they can freshen up, have a snack and catch up with old friends. the relocation program is careful to keep family members together. but unlike other animals, giraffes don't have strong social ties. no, my friends, in the wild, with many different herds over the course of their lives, coming and going as they please. now that the giraffe is off the truck, he can relax a bit. >> ushaka: but the rescue team is already back at work. >> man: where is it? it's in that big group? >> man: it's in the big group. it's sort of... (speaking indistinctly) >> ushaka: they're tracking another giraffe.
9:53 am
>> man: yeah. >> ushaka: and so, the process begins again until all 50 giraffes are safely in their new home. >> ushaka: and what do these giraffes have to look forward to at meru national park, huh? >> men: (singing african language) >> ushaka: endless miles of protected habitat, featuring rivers, lush vegetation and open savannas, all at the base of beautiful mount kenya. here, all of the wild animals live in their natural environment, away from human development. in fact, many sections of the park have no roads, so the animals can even get away from the safari tourists when they need to. giraffes can live
9:54 am
so they'll have plenty of time to enjoy their new surroundings. and tourists will once again be able to enjoy these majestic creatures in the spectacular setting of meru national park. so what are you waiting for, huh? i think it's time for you to relocate to meru national park. >> men: (singing african language) >> ushaka: the journey for the giraffes may be over, but there's still more fun
9:55 am
9:56 am
9:57 am
?? >> ushaka: meru national park is popular with animals because it has so many amenities that they normally can't find in the wild. there are waterslides, water fountains and plenty of snack bars. and young animals love to get wild and crazy on the new half-pipe. now wait a minute, my friends, meru park isn't an amusement park. it's a wild park with trees, rivers and protected natural habitat, and that's what the animals really want. ?? >> ushaka: don't be surprised if you run into reptiles
9:58 am
these rough and tough critters need a lot of tender loving care to keep their skin radiant. wait a minute! unlike humans, reptiles don't have hair follicles, so they never have to worry about acne. that's why adolescent reptiles are so well-adjusted. they're not insecure about their looks. ?? >> ushaka: now, let's review how you catch a giraffe. first, you run alongside the animal and try to lso right? wrong. i don't think you'll have much luck throwing a lasso around an 18-foot high neck. and i wouldn't recommend running alongside a giraffe. remember, these are powerful animals, and their giant hooves double as lethal weapons. i hope they're registered. >> men: (singing
9:59 am
>> ushaka: well, i think the giraffes have had enough excitement for one day, huh? thanks to our friends at ifaw, these animals can kick back and relax in their new home. but we must keep an eye on all of africa's giraffes to be sure they remain safe for generations to come. until next time, my friends, salani kashe.
10:00 am
>> today on "the coolest places on earth," if you're looking to escape to an island paradise, it's time to swim, paddle, kiteboard, and whatever that's called and find your way to the pristine remote beaches of the cayman islands. this is "the coolest places on earth." the cayman islands. many early visitors and settlers on the islands were pirates. and then christopher columbus arrived in the early 16th century and named them las tortugas, "turtle" in spanish, because hatching sea turtles were everywhere on the shore. years later, sir francis drake

217 Views

1 Favorite

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on