Skip to main content

tv   Late Night With Seth Meyers  NBC  February 8, 2019 12:37am-1:37am EST

12:37 am
[ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> announcer: from 30 rockefeller plaza in new york, it's "late night with seth meyers." tonight -- j.j. watt, star of "schooled," actor and comedian tim meadows, creators of "pen15," actresses anna konkle and maya erskine, featuring the 8g band with tucker rule. ♪ [ cheers and applause ]nd ladiesentlemen, seth meyers. g. >> seth: good even i'm seth meyers. this is "late night." how is everybody doing tonight? [ cheers and applause ] in that case, let's get to the news. president trump spoke at the national prayer breakfast this ?"rning, specifically, "are you going to finish th [ laughter ] that's right, president trump attended the national prayer breakfast this morning, and he
12:38 am
even brought count chocula. [ laughter ] according to new research, eye contact is not needed in order to have an enjoyable conversation. "yeah, we know," texted millennials. uklaughter ] a motorist in thas arrested yesterday after he crashed his car while swerving to avoid hitting an octopus he claimed to have seen in the road. officials became suspicious when they couldn't findny squid rks. [ laughter ] that's accurate. [ cheers and applause ] you reacted accurately to that joke. i also kind of hated it. [ laughter ] hbo has released new photos from the upcoming final season of "game of thrones." and i have to say -- [ cheers and applause ] yeah, although be careful, ha because to say, those photos, pretty big spoilers.ht
12:39 am
cla ] two elderly women ada this week got into a physical fight g ter they both wanted to sit in the same chair durgame of bingo. one of them even lost an eye- 26. [ laughter ] well, i mean, on the same night as squid marks, you guys are -- ttlaughter ] you guys are a plucky audience. [ laughter ] oh, this one actually counts as well. [ light laughter ] ega company in england has selling a heart-shaped sausage ahead of valentine's day. it's the perfect way to tell that special someone that you want to bang her.nd [ laughterpplause ] i don't know. [ laughter ] campbell's soup recently received official trademark rights to the rd "chunky" for its brand of soup. while trump has trademarked it for his brand ofuits. [ laughter ]
12:40 am
[ audience oohs ] dwayne the rock johnson claimed yesterday, that he was the first choice to host this year's academy awards before kevin hart. unfortunately, he also did questionable things in his past. laughter ] officials in turkey recently found an ancient bible that is believed to be 1200 years old. it's so old, the first half is just called "testament." [ laughter ]th joke kills when i do it at the catskills. [ laughter ] oh sure, mrs. maisel does it, it brings down the hous [ laughter ] it's just called "testament."ce [ audiohs ] [ cheers and applause ] tip your waiters, tip your waitresses. n-light lauger ] and finally, haazs has started selling alcohol-infused ice cream. so if one of you wants ice cream, and one of you wants
12:41 am
alcohol, you're these two. [ laughter ] [ cheersnd applause ] ladies and gentlemen, we have a great show for you tonight.e he is a five-to-bowler, and three-time defensive player of the year from the houston texans. j.j. watt is here tonight, everybody. [ cheers and applause ] he's a wonderful guy and a terrific comedian who you can see in the new abc sitcom, "schooled." timeadows is back. one of our favorites. [ cheers and applause ] d they are the stars and creators of a fantastic new show on hulu, "pen15." anna konkle and maya erskine are here tonight. [ cheers and alause ] can't wait to talk to them about their new show. before we get to that, it seems like president trump is freaking out about the democrats running for president.is for more on it's time for "a closer look." ♪ [ cheers and applause ] trump spoke this morning to religious leaders at the national prayer breakfast. it's always a slightlyrd situation for a president who's been married three times, paid hush money to a porn star, and has probably at best skimmed the
12:42 am
bible. owlaughter ] "and as you all god set a fire to a bush so he could collect the insurance money and build a casino. [ laughter ] it was smart. itas a smart move." for example, trump mentioned the problem of human trafficking, and here is his expert diagnosis on what's causing it. >> together we will end the scourge of modern-day slavery that, because of the internet, is at levels that nobody can believe. the internet came along, and some good things happened, but some very bad things happened. >> seth: oh really, dr. science? [ laughter ]r that's ypert opinion? "the internet came along, and some good things happened, and some bad things happened?" one of the good things about the internet is you can google how to pronounce the word "scourge." >> scourge. [ laughter ] >> seth: trump then laid out what i guess you could say is
12:43 am
his thesis statement for america, the thing that makes our country great. reagan called it the shining city on a hilland obama said, america is a place where you can write your own destiny, and now here are president trump's caoughts on what makes ame great. >> america's potential is unlimited because our extraordinary people are just something that is number one. [ laughter ] >> seth: soaring words. just soaring words he's like a guy on a date getting lines fed to him through an ear piece, and the feed cut out. "you have beautiful eyes, and your -- nose. [ laughter ] well, i mean, you know, it's your nose, but is --al you got a reat honker." [ laughter ] trump was trying to live uemto the of unity he set out in his state of the union address tuesday. as we all know, he's incapable of that.ys trump aleeds something to scare people about, and in his speech on tuesday, he landed on new target, warning that
12:44 am
democrats would turn america will turn into a socialist country. and it pmpted a few scattered reactions from the republicans in the audience. >> here in the united states we are alarmed by the new calls to adopt socialism in our country. [ boos ] >> seth: well, guys you did it, you stopped socialism by booing it. [ laughter ] it reminds me of ronald reagan's famous line, "mr. gorbachev, boo this wall." [ laughter ]at east they're making real proposals like medicare for all, you guys stole your best political argumean from statler waldorf. >> boo! >> boo! [ laughter ] >> seth: then -- [ cheers and applause ] then, of course, the camera caught the reaction of self-described democratic socialist bernie sanders after trump vowed to stop socialis from taking root in america. >> america was found liberty dd independence, and not government coercioination, and control.
12:45 am
[ applause ] we are born free and we will usay free. [ cheers and app] [ laughter ] so, turns out statler was in the audience. [ laughter ]th i mean is -- that's a real -- [ cheers a applause ] classic bernie face there. that's the face bernie makes when he finds out the restaurant charges for bread. [ laughter ] "bread is supposed to be free! bread-icare for all!" [ laughter and applause ] i hope you're applauding for the writer who told me "bread-icare for l" wouldn't work. [ laughter ] and then yesterday in an interview on cnbc, treasury secretary steve mnuchin doubled down on trump's line about socialism, although the way he i saleft some people scratching their heads.
12:46 am
>> the good news is, the u.s. economy is doing terrific. we continue to have very strong jobs numbers. i eeink you've just begun to the beginning of tax reform. i think you're going to see that kie in a lot again, and as president talked about last m night, his economic prog working. we're not going back to socialm. >> seth: now when he says, "going back" he's probably referring to president obama who was many things, but he was not a socialist. i mean, first of all, look at the way he dresses now. [ laughter he looks like a high-powered sports agent. "lebron, baby, you're crushing it [ laughter ] the minute he left the white house he got cast in a recurring role in "ballers." [ laughter and applause ] and yet, while he was whining about socialism in public, trump was also claiming in private that he had predicted the success of one of the most famous self-described democratic so, alists of the new congre alexandria ocasio-cortez.
12:47 am
trump met news anchors hours before his speech, and claimed m that he wag the first to spot her political talent, and yid he had predicted her primary upset lar. trump said he knew ocasio-cortez had "it," meaning star power. oh really, you predicted that one of the most charismatic ande et famous politicians in the country had star power? i wonderho else he brags about? "you know who i think is going places? tom hanks." [ laughter ] trump thinks he's good at spotting star power because he thinks he has star power, but wh people say trump has "it," that's not what they mean. [ light laughter ] i'm sorry, but it looks like you have "it." [ applause ] "it" has gone straight to your brain. [ laughter ] alscare mongering about som might have worked a few years ago, but it's lost its punch now that republicans have used it over, and over, and over again. just tak elections.s midterm trump went to wisconsin, a state he won in 2016, to campaign against democratic senator tammy baldwin, and he tried to
12:48 am
izrn the crowd that baldwin would support soci medicine. although he claimed he was trying to be nice about it. >> leah's, radical, far left opponent is tammy baldwin. [ boos ] who wants a socialist takeover of health care. [ boos ] you know, i'm trying to say that eery nicely. i'm trying to --normally i'd scream, "they want a socialist takeover." now i say, "wants a socialist takeover." i'm trying to be nice. >> seth: it's so jarring when he tells people he's pretending to be nice. [ light laughter ] it's like if robert de niro looked into the camera halfway through a movie and said, "i'm noreally in the mafia. i'm pretending. [ laughter ] none of this is real." [ applause ] and the attack didn't work. baldwin ended up winning per race by nts, but if you thought billionaire donald trump would be the least effective essenger against the suppos dangers of socialized medicine,
12:49 am
you'd be wrong. because on tuesdaywsfox business ctually found someone who was even worse at it, "duck dynasty" star phil robertson. [ light laughter ] x had him on for some reason, and instead of asking him about something he's qualified to talk about, le duck calls, or how to dress if you want to blend into a marsh -- [ laughter ] they asked him about health care policy, and he ended up going on annsane rant about senator kamala harris' proposal to eliminate private health insurance. even the fox anchor who invited him on was flustered by how crazy his answers were. >> we have been given a contrary to what kamala harris said, she says, "elect me and everything's free." look, everybody can have their own health care. the government's going to finance the whole thing. what i'm saying is that, kamala, i already have healthcare, it's given to me by god. eternal healthcare.ed i'm guarano be raised from the dead. i have light and immortality
12:50 am
given to me by god through jesus christ. people get sick on eart in human form so -- [ laughter ] >> and they get -- >> would you advise -- is>> the temporary reprievot worth it. >> seth: the anchor actually had to say, "people get sick on earth in human form." [ laughter and applause ] i mean, i'm asming -- i'm assuming after you have to say that to a guest, your next stop is at your producer's office to say, "maybe no more woods people?" [ laughter ] also, it's so crazy seeing a guy say that with a stock ticker underneath him. [ laughter ] "did you get any stock tips today?" "no, but i hear phil robertson's gonna live forever." [ laughter ] and by the way, lest you thiut fox soughthe opinion of a regular guy, hillbilly gandalf here reportedly has a net worth $15 million. plus an extra 38 cents if he er combs out his beard. [ light laughter ] ooh. [ laughter ] and yet somehow the fever dreams got weder from there because robertson went on to claim that people don't need healthcare at
12:51 am
all, and that he was living proof. >> i'm telling her, i have eternal healthcare, and it's free. doctors can gite you a little orary reprieve, but they cannot save you from physical death. the doctors who treat you, they die, too. jesus -- >> but you're not dismissing that we need -- people need healthcare, right? it's just who pays -- >> i didn't have healthcare for 50 years.h: >> sell, you look great. [ laughter ] [ cheers and applause ] e reason they're all freaking out about medicare for all is because they know it makeseoasic sense toe. most people don't care whether it's called socialism, or capitalism, or whatever, they st know it's inherently unfair for mega-billionaires to hoard their wealth while millions of ' americans even have healthcare. ocasio-cortez made that point in an interview recently, and a fox news guest mocked her for it. >> a system that allows billionaires to exist when there are parts of alabama where people are still getting
12:52 am
ringworm because they don't have access to public health is wrong. >> s's saying, mark -- >> yeah. >> that basically she doesn't want the kind of poverty that leads to lack of healthcare to exist. >> yeah. >> wn people are, you know, allowed to have billions of dollars, and be fat cats, essentially. >> well, first of all, i mean the fact is ringworm isn't deadly. i mean, people g ringworm -- it's like foot fungus. >> seth: we know ringworm isn't deadly! for some people it's jewelry. [ laughter ] "will you take this ring, and be my swamp bride? ] [ laught i'm never gonna die. you can be on my health insurance, i get it from jesus." [ laughter ]la [ cheers and ae ] now, there is a reason, a reason these guys are freaking out about medicare for all, and why most democrats running for president are for it. it just makes basic sense to people. everyone deserves healthcare. for one very simple reason and that is -- >> people get sick on earth in human form.
12:53 am
[ laughter ] >> seth: this has been "a cl er ♪ook." [ cheers and applause ] we'll be right back with j.j. watt, everybody. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> announcer: for more of seth's "closer looks," be sure to subscribe to "late night" on youtube. ♪ (vo) only verizon was ranked #1 by rootmetrics. #1 in 3 opensignal mobile experience awards. #1 in video streamingcording t. and #1 in network quality according to jd power. we're proud to be the only network to n in all four major awards-- not because of what it says about us, but what it means for every one of our customers. if you haven't experienced america's most reliable network, nos the best time. because you'll get apple music, on us. cheezcombination of thecrunch with-ying cheese. with their delicious perfection- cheese. it's not all about you cheese. you think i have a mouth. i'm a wheel of cheese.
12:54 am
got a point. [yeah] cheez-it. cheesy, crunchy satisfaction. moderator: this is the chevy equinox. various: beautiful. wow. ooh, this is fancy. moderator: that's the available hd surround vision camera. the top of your car? moderator: mm-hmm. it helps you see dangers around the vehicle. what is that? various: wait, wait, wait, what is that? oh, my... (mixed shouting) man: these are big alligators. moderator: so who's getting out first? (laughter) get 0% financing for 60 months on most equinox models. or, current gm owners can get $3,500 total cash allowance when financing with gm financial. find new roads at your local chevy dealer. giveat kohl's...y... when financing with gm financial. with an extra 15 or 20% off! give joy with this ruby heart collection... women's sleep sets - just $23.79... or a new keurig... and get joy th kohl's cash! give joy, get joy - this valentine's day... at kohl's. dove gives you so you can wear anything.ms from athletic tops to zebra dresses, from athletic tops and everything in between. to zebra dresses, enjoy 48 hour protection
12:55 am
and softer, smoother underarms. with dove antiperspirants. start with a light crystal vibes coating, then change into a smooth gum. with bursts of spearmint flavor that pop, pop, pop. new trident vibes. a burst of something new. ♪ i don't have cash, you said you took credit card. ♪ ♪ ♪
12:56 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ]
12:57 am
>> seth: welcome back, everybody. give it up over there.and right [ cheers and applause ] so, all this week we've had the fantastic drummer for the band thursday, who are currently in the mile of their sold out 20th anniversary tour. his brooklyn-based band ageist has a brand nerecord "baby face" out on february 8th. and be sure to follow him on instagram, tucker rule, everybody. [ cheers and applause ] thank you for a great we, tucker. our first guest tonight is a five-time pro bowler, a three-time defensiver of the year for the houston texans and a recipient of the nfl's walter payton man of the year award. please welcome to the show jj watt, everybody. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> seth: how are you? >> i good, how are you? >> seth: i'm good. have you been enjoying your time in new york city? >> i have, i have. this is a phenomenal crowd you haveere. >> seth: it's a really good
12:58 am
crowd tonight. [ cheers and applause ]sd classic th hot crowd. do you -- i saw you tweeted that you would have a hard time living in new york because of the restaurants. >> i would. i would. so, i live in houston. i mean, there's traffic everywhere. i mean, if i want to go somewhere out to eat, it's about 20 or 30 minutes to get there. here, you walk down stairs and it's literally pizza, sushi, ice cream, pizza, sushi. [ laughter ] my girlfriend and i are walking around and we were like, "well, we don't really have anything going on. should stop for some food?" and we'll stop in, and we'll get pizza and then we're walking 20 more fe and she's like "i heard of this restaurant, it's incredible. [ light laughter ] we have to go in." and i'm like, "well, we have to go in." [ laughter ] i swear to god i'd be 450 pounds. >> seth: yeah. if you ever end up on the giants or the jets, people should know now to be disappointed. [ laughter ] >> yeah you should -- just void my contract or move ml to the offensie right out of the gate. [ laughter ] because i'm not moving. you got -- you we're at the super bowl this year. obviously, you guys, the texans, had a great season. it didn't end the way you wanted it to.o you wente super bowl because, as a previous winner of
12:59 am
man of the year, you presented it to this year's winner. >> i did. >> seth: was there any joy in being at the super bowl without your team there? >> no. >> seth: yeah. [ laughter ] huge bummer? >> yeah. >> seth: cld you watch the game? >> no. >> seth: yeah, okay. [ laughter ]de >> i hout the award right before the game.h: >> seah. >> they did the opening kickoff and i was on a jet 30 minutes later. [ light laughter ] i couldn't do it. i can't do it. it's tough >> seth: do you watch -- when the season ends do you watch at all?'l >> i mean,watch -- obviously i check out the highlights, i want to see what happened in the game and everything, but it's tough, man. i mean, you work so hard and you put in so much work and you put ino o much time and you want be in that game. it's hard. it's like -- >> seth: i feel that way as a fan. like, when my team is out -- as a steelers fan, i don't want to watch anythymore. and i feel like i don't -- i mean, obviously i don't know but i feel like you work harder at it than i do. laughter ] >> that's questionable. it's possible. it's possible.el i'llat my brother for you. >> seth: thank you. well, i do want to say, you know, i'm obviously a huge fan of yours.
1:00 am
i'm a slightly bigger fan of your brother tj because he plays on the pittsburgh steelers, th team i love and your other brother derek plays for the chargers. that is correct. >> seth: you guys all went to wisconsin. >> we did. [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: there goes some wisconsin love. and your mother -- [ laughter ] [ cheers and applause ] >> he's a northwestern guy. >> seth: yeah, i went to northwestern.er any cats no, all right. well, there you go. [ laughter ] >> they're all working --ea >> seth: exactly. the financial district.so our mom -- somebody sent this to her, right? she got a jersey sent to her because -- >> yes, my mom got a jersey. >> seth: very unique that she has three children in the l. >> she does and we've played each other a couple times. i was hurt when i got to playeem both of ut they played each other. so, obviously, people are always asking, "what's your mom going to wear? what's your mom going to wear?" she can't just wear my jersey, which she wants to. [ laughter ] so, this is what somebody sent her. >> seth: very -- very unique jersey that covers all three
1:01 am
logos.la hter ] and i just realized now the watt and the "w" is the wisconsin "w." so, that is really -- somebody put the time in. s they did. and each letter that's from the texans jersey -- that's from -- i mean, somebody wen through a lot of time for somebody else's family. >> seth: very nice. >> i appreciate that. [ cheers and applause ] thank you whoever sent that. [ applause ] >> seth: you know, i do want to ask real quick. the steelers -- it's been a bit of a dramatic off season. we were talking about -- there's this antonio brown saga now. >> rht. >> seth: do you have a sense or do you care more because your brother is on the team? like, oh, it seems very dramatic right there. >> it does seem very dramatic. l ite -- it's like somebody that's watching the kardashians and i can call one of the kardashians. [ laughter ] so, i'll call my bro, i'll see everything on tv and i'm like, "okay, give me the real story." >> seth: right. >> and it's pretty wild. y >> seth:h. >> it's pretty wild. >> seth: we'll leave it at that. you had a little -- you had a minor knee surgery this off season, but you're gonna be good to go? i feel great. >> seth: and you have a -- you know, we keep talking about
1:02 am
wisconsin. you have a gyeat honor this . you're going to give the commencement address. >> i am. >> seth: that's ve'm exciting. >>ery excited about it. thank you. [ cheers and applause ] thank you. i -- we announced it just a couple days ago and in the video announcing it, i let edy know that i think they just looked over the fact that i didn't graduate from wisconsin. [ laughter ] so, i'm going to experience it i'm excited.t time. as seth: yeah. >> but down in tthe people of texas have treated me unbelievably since i've been there. the baylor school of medicine invid me to their graduation and they gave me a doctorate degree. >> seth: really? >> so -- >> seth: actually, we have the photo. >> wisconsin has to outdo a ctorate degree. but i really wouldn't hate it. >> seth: that's you with your doctorate degree. >> that is. e ank you. [ cheers and appla thank you. >> seth: did they make it extra big for you?fe because like if i held that, it would cover my face. >> it is true.ea but i'vezed, no matter how big it is, i cannot get my teammates to call me doctor. >> seth: really? [ laughter ]
1:03 am
>> i think that's trash. i think that's trash. seth: one of them did fill out a prescription form from dr. watt. >> yeah, filled that o him. >> seth: oh, you filled that out for him. >> so, the day i walk back, nobody would call me doctor, but somebody gave me a prescription pad. so i went around the locker room writing bs prescriptions for everybody in there.ht [ la ] so, this guy -- >> seth: still nothing. >> still nothing. e this guy, i mean, he's l marvel movie fan. he's a character. i aid, "no marvel movies for three weeks. you're getting too weird." [ laughter ] and then i think it was a stiff drink was the next one. i wanted him to loosen >> seth: and nobody listened? >> no. i tried to give my coach one that said "stop saying the "f" word so much." [ laughter ] >> seth: are you nervous at all about the commencement? >> i wasn't until somebody just sent me a picture of what it looks like when you're standing on stage. >> s ah: yeah. itot of kids. >> i've played in camp randall a lot, but i've never held a crophone and tried not t sound like a moron, so. >> seth: i did northwestern a few years ago and the one thingh thped me -- and i will say this because you weren't at your graduation because, i guess you didn't have the grades.
1:04 am
what was it? [ laughter ] but i -- the thing i remembered was i had no memory of anything anybody said at my graduatio >> right. >> seth: and so, just know, have the freedom of knowing no one is going remember. >> yeah, so, it's not going to matter. i tweeted out yesterday -- i said i was going to get spotted cow for everybod because it's the local beer. >> seth: yeah. [ cheers and applause ] h i mean, let's est, nobody cares what is i'm saying. let's just party. >> seth: let's party. that's what they want. >> if i went out on the commcement speech and did a 20 minute -- like brought a band with me and let's just do a 20-minute fu-on party. probably would be more fun than what i was going to say. >> seth: i think so, too.t and then jd, pick up the mic and go, "follow your dreams!" and then drop it. [ laughter ] >> change the world, 2020! me seth: well i highly rec you -- [ applause ] and i do -- your -- your mother is also involved in your foundation, yeah? >> she is. she is incredible. we started when i was at wisconsin. we started when i was in college because i had seen another player from florida state, he
1:05 am
started a foundation when he was in college so i was inspired and i said that's incredible. i want to use this platform and, obviously, i never knew that platform w where i am today and this big of a platform. so, my mom has helped me from the start. it started with me, her and one of my best friends from high school in my basement. and obviously the hurricane raised like $41 million. >> seth: yeah, it's amazing. it was amazing what you did for houston. [ cheers and applause ] th're really -- you know, wisconsin is lucky to have you but certainly the people of texas are as well and it's just woerful having you here, man. have a great rest of your off season. >> oh, thank you very much. i appreciate it. [ cheers>>nd applause ] eth: looking forward to september. jj watt, everybody. for more information on his foundation, please visit jjwfoundation.org. we'll be right back with tim meadows. [ cheers and applause ] ♪
1:06 am
this is you shopping. and this is you maximizing at t.j.maxx. when you get more you for your money, every time, it's not shopping, it's maximizing. maxx life at t.j.maxx (ala♪m goes off) wake up sweetie. ♪ doctor dave. see ya. ♪ here's your order. ♪ hey.
1:07 am
applebee's to go. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood. well, what if i... drove me home? [♪] what if we lost track of time? [♪] what if we took a leap of faith? whoo-hoo! what if you... missed my flight next week? [♪] the all-new rav4. toyota. let's go places. you canbut if you did,on love. it'd cost the exact same as a reese's. turns out love's kinda inexpensive. not sorry. reese's. charmin ultra soft! ♪ it's softer than ever.ar
1:08 am
n ultra soft is twice as absorbent so you can use less. and it's softer than ever... so it's harder to resist. okay, this is getting a little weird. we all go, why not enjoy the go with charmin? and i wan ask you before i ask her may i have your permission to marry her? you're marrying her and her whole world shop neil lane diamond engagement rings... ...at kay. shop neil lane diamond engagement rings... hey, who are you? oh, hey jeff, i'm a car thief... what?! i'm here to steal your car because, well, that's my job. what? what?? what?! (laughing) what?? what?! what?! [crash] what?! haha, it happens. and if you've got cut-rate car insurance, paying for this could feel like getting robbed twice. so get allstate... and be better protected from mayhem...
1:09 am
like me. ♪ reliable wifi with wcoverage throughout your home? how about having internet that can help you save on wireless phone service? xfinity gives you the fastest speeds from america's best internet provider to stream on all your devices. plus, with xfinity mobile included, you can switch your wireless carrier and save hundreds of dollars a year. now that's simple, easy, awesome. get started for $39.99 a month for 12 months. plus, ask how you can get xfinity mobile included so all you pay for is data. switch today. ♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: our next guest is a and actor comedia
1:10 am
you know from his work on "saturday night live" and such films as "mean girls," "grown- o ups" andtar." he stars in "schooled" which airs wednesday nights on abc. please welcome back tohow our good friend tim meadows, everyone. ♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back. >> thank you very much. >> seth: happy belated birthday. u just had one. >> yes, i did. >> seth: all right. [ light laughter ]ow >> and yeah,'m getting to the age where i don't want to talk about birthdays. >> seth: gotcha. do you feel like you're getting jaded as you get older? >> i am. yeah. i am getting a little bit more jaded. you know, i don't take things as serious as i should, i guess.et >> yeah. >> but i've become more jaded ah far lywood and working and stuff like that. >> seth: oh, that's good. >> yeah, yeah. that happens as you become older. >> seth: yeah, more refined. >> yeah. like, i s doing this tv show. it's called "no activity." it's on cbs streaming.
1:11 am
which it's a great show.ea , try to watch it if you get a chance. [ laughter ] e i have, you know, chil support payments. stuff like that. [ laughter ] but when we were shootinthe show, we did a scene where we were downtown in l.a. and the scene was supposed to be me on my back on the ground. i had just fallen off of a. buildi and so after i got out of my trailer, and they to me to the set, and they said, "you're going to be laying on the ground here." i went, "oh, okay, great. is this dirt -- did we put this dirt here? is this hollywood dirt?" [ laughter ] show biz? and the crew guy, he was just like "hollywood dirt?" [ light laughter "what is that?" i go, "you know, like, dirt that we have, that's like clean dirt." [ laughter ] he was like, "no, this is downtown l.a. dirt. there's probably rat, you know, droppings in the dirt you're getting ready to lay in. so good luck." [ laughter ] >> seth: your boys are, what, 16 and 18? >> yeah, yeah. >> seth: and athletes. b plketball. you coached their basketball team this year? >> yes.
1:12 am
well, not this year. likea couple years ago. >> seth: gotcha. >> yeah. >> seth: and did you enjoy that? >> i did. you know, it was weird, beuse i don't know if you ever coached oour kids or whatever. >> seth: they'reoung. they're uncoachable. [ laughter ] s ah. >> well my kids watually -- they were coachable. but it was weird, because i'd never done it before. so like, the very first game -- like, i did a practice with them, sort of taught them basketball plays and stuff. and then the ver they were playing and they were down by, like, two points. and i was on the sideline and i was going, like, "man, their ld coach shall time out or something." h,u know? and i was like, ait, that's me. i'm the coach. time out, time out."ht [ la ] but it turned out to be very fun and -- you know, like, if you're the parent of one of the players, you don't want to favor them. you want ttreat them equally. but my son julian was a very good player. d we played the championship -- we got to the championship. and this was at the boy's and girl's club, don't -- not nba.ro don't get me. [ laughter ] but there was -- we got to the championship game.
1:13 am
the team showed up to the game, and they were all sweaty. and i said, "what were you guys doing?" and they said, "oh, we were playing basketball in the alley."li and i' "no, you're supposed to be playing basketball now. [ laughter ] you have a championsp game." like the golden state warriors, they don't go and play the pistons for an hour. [ light laughter ] and then go play game >> seth: right. >> and so we got into the game. and they started losing, bause they were tired. the other kids were hot. and, you know, they were winning. and then, i had to put the kids who weren't that good in, which, you know, that's just is. some kids aren't that good. >> seth: yeah. [ light laughter ] uy>> so i had to put thosein to sort of cover until the good kids could get some rest. and then my -- i kept my son in and then my son got hot. >> seth: yeah. >> julian, he like stole the ball. took it down court. laid it up like gervin. you know, like george gervin. like, fing rolled it in. and i was like, "okay," i'm not going to point out that he's doing better than everybody else. i'm like, "good job, young man, keep going." [ laughter ] t nee, he -- somebody else steals the ball, passes it to
1:14 am
him. he can go in for another layup, but he stops back, does like a steph rry, goes beyond the three point, boom, three points. put us up. i didn't wanto be too proud, but when he came down the court this time, i was like, "ah, down here baby. down here. [ laughter ] yeah. that's my boy! that is my boy!" [ cheers and applause ] i could not keep it in. >> seth: that's great. nor should you. >> i know. and when it was over we won. they gave us these little medals and stuff, which is like the only award i've ever won. [ laughter ] like a boys and girls club basketball necklac but we got in the car with my son and he was very -- you know, he was happy and stuff. and i just tapped him on the shoulder and i go, "you know what? you won this that game for us. u did that. u.u did that on your own and i'm really proud of >> seth: that's amazing. i could not do with that without sobbing. t would have sobbed. if the day comes tever get to say something that nice, i would just break down. >> dude, i was so proud of those
1:15 am
guys, because they played so hard. and i literally -- i was like u. all ni i was so full of adrenaline. ] [ light laught i'm like calling people, "hey, guess who won the boys and girls club basketball?"er [ laugnd applause ] >> seth: like, "hold on. i'm going to text you a picture of my medal." [ laughter ] >> then i put the medal around my rear-view mirror in my car, you know. >> seth: that's great.d >> and it wost hit the windshield. [ laughter ] i was like, "i don't care. i'm so happy." >> seth: this is great. "schood," this is wonderful. this is a spin-off of "the goldbergs." >> yeah. >> seth: you play a principal. >> yes. >> seth: do you enjoy that? is it a role you enjoy? >> i enjoy all roles. >> seth: yeah. [ laughter ] >> but, yes. i enjoy this one quite a bit. it's fun to do i'm -- you know, i wasn't -- you know -- i've done a lot of -- you know, people know me from doing "mean girls" and stuff like that. but this guy is, like, a little ert different. he's a little ed >> seth: yeah. >> i don't know where i'm going with this story. [ light laughter ] w >> seth: well,t to ask. we're talking about edgier. another role you're known for is, of course, on "snl" the ladies man. yeah, yeah, yeah. [ cheers and applause ]
1:16 am
thank you. >> seth: and i know -- i know you've been thinking about trying to reboot the ladies man just to see what life is like for him in the post "me too" era. [ light laughter ] >> i think him.uld be tough for >> seth: yeah. >> 'cause i think he would always have to retract every statement that he made, you know? >> seth: yeah. [ laughter ] >> so he'd be like -- if he meet bar or something, he'd be like, "yeah, listen, baby. yowould love to, like, tak out some time if that's cool. but listen, if you have a man or something, i don't want toyou know, step on anybody's toes or anything. but, yeah, i would rlove to get you back to my place and make love to you. but like in a very nice predictable way. [ laughter ] and of course you would have say in our love making. [ laughter ] you would then i would make the next step. so, anyway. i'd like to buy you a drink, if that's okay." [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: wall would like to see that. >> yeah. >> seth: it's always so great to have you here. >> thank you, buddy. >> seth: give it up for usm meadows, everybody. [ cheers and app] "schooled" airs wednesday nights on abc. we'll be right back with anna konkle and maya erskine. [ cheers and appuse ]
1:17 am
♪ hey, darryl. would you choose the network rated #1 in the nation by the experts, uh... or the one awarded by the people? correct! you don't have to choose, 'cause, uh... oh! by the experts. switch to the network awarded and get apple music included, on us. on both ios and android. wnongenemodi. nongen. oh, triscuit! is non-genetically modified. nongenemodiscuit. triscuit is non-gmo project verified.
1:18 am
triscuit. make 'scuit happen. i am also not genetically-modified. uh uh - i deliverberty the news around here. ♪ sources say liberty mutual customizes your car insurance, so you only pay for what you need. over to you, logo. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ ♪ al♪ tell me all the ways s♪♪ and he said ♪ ♪ girl, you take care of me ♪ ♪ you are my thera♪y ♪ the better half of me ♪ say it again ♪ ♪ if you love me, love me, love me ♪ like you say ♪ ♪ darling tell me all the ways ♪ tell me all the ways ♪ now, we're bringing you all the ways to get what you need. target run & done. now you can make feel like the weekend.k with jimmy dean simple scrambles. made fresh with two real eggs, sausage 'n cheese. and ready in seconds.
1:19 am
why don't you put a sunday morning shine on tomorrow morning's breakfast. hey, darryl. would you choose the network rated #1 in the nation by the experts, or the one awarded by the people? ... correct! you don't have to choose, 'cse, uh... oh! (vo) switch to the network awarded the experts. and get apple music included, on us. on both ios and android. look around. with artificial intelligence, we are not crawling or walking. we are flying. microsoft ai helps an architect bring history back to life. this is now.me ai helps farrs grow more food with less resources. an engineer explores how ai can help the deaf see sound. innovation creates tomorrow,
1:20 am
and tomorrow is here today.
1:21 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: our next guests are the
1:22 am
stars and the creator of the new hulu series "pen15" which starts streaming tomorrow. let's take a look. >> it's like this. and you were doing, like, this. and it's, like, this. >> i wasn't. i was doing this. but okay, whatever. whatever. actually, i don't really want to do it anymore. let's just not practice. i'm going to talk to my boyfriend. can i have some privacy? please? >> who's that? >> what? >> who's your boyfriend? >> it's flymiamibro. >> seth: please welcome anna konkle and maya erskine, everyone. ♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome to the show, guys. >> both: thank you! >> set premise. a fantastic you are playing seventh grade versions of yourself..
1:23 am
>> both: y >> seth: all the other casts are actual middle schoolers. >> yes. >> correct, yes. [ laughter ] >> yeah.>> eth: it's such a great idea. and it's so fun to watch. but i have to ask, because you are -- you know, because those actors are actual 13-year-olds -- >> right. >> seth: are they terrifying to be around? >> 100%, yes. [ laughter ] >> so intimidated. >> they're so intimidating. >> yeah. >> like, i mean, even the first me that i met some of th girls who play the popular girls -- you know, anna had met them earlier, because she was teaching them a spice girls routine for the scene. and she was in her, like, normal jeans like high-waisted and cool clothes. >> just looked like -- like, no. but okay. >> but e you.way, they loved >> right, right, right. sure. >> and then so, you came on with them to the set. i was shooting so i had my bowl cut d mustache and wearing l rider jeans and i was like, "hey, guys! how are you? like, it's so good to meet you.r and theylike, "hey, is that your real hair? is that your real hair?"li , "ew, i don't like wearing low rider jeans."
1:24 am
i was like, "yeah, me neit lr. i don't we rider jeans. i've been wearing high-waisted jeans since i was in middle school." >> started tking about vintage stores. you're like, yeah, it's mostly vintage. seth: did you -- i mean obviously, when you were young, you remember making fun of tults. and do you then knt that's what they're doing to you the whole time? >> yeah, it's brutal time. >> it's -- >> you go for the jugular. it's like you can feel an adults, you knowbiggest insecurity and then you just -- you know, teachers. yeah. >> like, i had a teacher -- this is weird. >> are you going there? [ laughter ]ea >> i had aer that there was a rumor that he, like, humped the doorkg.b or someth >> seth: yeah. >> and it was the most random thing in the world. and it went around so seriously. >> seth: yeah. >> everyone was like, "he humps doorknobs." [ laughter ] >> right. >> you kno and everyone is like, "i know, i heard." and then it becomes this, like, huge, serious thing. >> seth: that he's a doorknob humper. that's a hard thing to outlive. >> yeah. >> yeah. [ laughter ] you're done. you're done after that.
1:25 am
>> you're done. >> seth: you cast your mother your mother. >> yes. that is my real mom. >> seth: have you cast her before in things? >> like when i was in high school, i did student films, you know? >> seth: yeah. >> and i -- she had to play a receptionist. and she only had oneine. and my mom's japanese. and so i was like, "all you have to say is 'c't complain, just moving things along.'" >> that's a hard le actually. >> which is a hard line. it's a hard line. i understand. she would every tim say it her, eyes would cross and she would be like -- "can't complain move along." [ laughter ] and i'd be like, "what?" and so it was kind of a risk to put her in that show. >> i've heard that story so many times. >> so many times. i know. >> before you brought up casting her. and i was like -- wanted to be i nice, but i wa, "the film story, though, like how is she ing to say more than that?" >> right. [ laughter ] >> i was like, "she'd be a regular." >> right. ou know? but she was so good. >> she was so good. >> seth: how long have you guys -- she is great. how long have you guys been friends? when did this friendship start?
1:26 am
>> ten years a.. >> ten yea >> seth: gotcha. >> yeah. we met our junior year of college. >> yeah. >> seth: and what is a good example of how your friendship -- are you guys kind to each other? it seems like you're very loving. i would imagine that's a key to doina show like this togethe [ laughter ] >> i'm going to cry, actually. so i can't talk. >> stop. who what are you doing? no, we love each other dearly. >> yeah, but then also, like, that clip you saw was taken a little bit from the -- we choreograph a dance in the show. and so maya and i in real life went and rented a studio and, like, choreographed a dance. and in that studio i'm, like, trying to do my moves and -- >> and i was like, no. >> and she's like, "it's actually like -- and like, that's what ing. >> no, i'm not criticizing you. like, it's so not a criticism. >> it's so good. >> you're just like doing it like this. and it should be slower. like this. and then we were like -- >> right, and you learned to be like, "and i love g at you're do" >> right. [ laughter ] >> "-- but, like, it's just not what i'm doing. so we should decide if you want to do it like you love doing it or i love doing it."
1:27 am
>> seth: you -- i imagine, like, once you see the show it clicks in perfectly, and you realize, oh, this is such a great premise. was it a strange premise to tc to television executives when you were basically like we're going to, you know, be playing 13-year-olds? >> yeah. >> yeah. yeah. i mean, you know, we lucked out with hulu, because the executives were young and had grown up during that time.ht >> seth: r >> and -- oh, yeah. the story, i mean -- >> yeah. so it was -- we went -- okay, so the third episode of the show is about masturbation. >> maya's character will explore masturbation for a whole epode. and that is based on me. m and, you know,n, women -- at the time, i thought i was the only one who masturbated, you kn , as a kid. i didn't see it on tv.o and i feltch shame about it. and so here was our opportunity to show -- >> to tell everybody. [ laughter ] >> that i masturbate. and i enjoy it. and --
1:28 am
[ laughter ] you know, so any way, we're with these older executives who have kids in middle school. and i had a picture of me and my dad where i was like, had pigtails and pink pajamas. and i'm like squeezing him like this. and i was using it as -- >> it's ppicture. >> tture. i was showing the picture this close to the executive's face for about ten minutes being oike, "maya's character is to be masturbating just like in this. i remember i had masturbated right before this photo -- [ audience oht ] [ la ] and had to put in pigtails. so she's going to be going back and forth with the dichotomy of innocence and -- >> she's probably like, "oh, the shame." >> and then he was like, "can you please take the photo down, usbecause i'm getting naus [ laughter ] >> yeah, then he said, "i'm nauseous." yeah. >> yeah. and then our -- >> we're like, "this is going really well." >> yeah. [ laughter ] l our producer we -- got into the elevator and was like, "never do that again." so, it worked. [ laughter ] >> seth: well, i'm glad it found a home that appreciates it. it's really a fantastic show. congratulations, guys. >> thank you.
1:29 am
>> thank you. [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: i can't wait to see more of it. anna konkle and maya erskine, everybody. "pen15" starts streaming tomorrow on hulu. we'll be right back. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ hvr. you either love it or you really love it.
1:30 am
thewith the latest safety s ux system standard, t, best-in-class turning radius and best-in-class mpg. experience amazing at your lexus dealer. oneeeee... did you try this one? feel this one. it's amazing! twooooo... it's nice. but it's kinda pricey. hi. hi. you can't skimp on a decision this important. a mattress is where you'll spend over half your life and eat all your meals. but it's all good. just use pay it plan it. pay it plan it is a payment feature from american express. choose a monthly plan to split up large purchases over time with no interest and a fixed fee. need me to help you carry this to your car or... the powerful backing of american express. don't live life without it.
1:31 am
dove gives you so you can wear anything.ms from athletic tops to zebra dresses, and everything in between. enjoy 48 hour protection and softer, smoother underarms. with dove antiperspirants. guess what day it is? guess what day it is! huh...anybody? julie! hey...guess what day it is? ah come on, i know you can hear me. mike mike mike mike mike... what day is it mike? ha ha ha ha! leslie, guess what today is? it's hump day. whoot whoot! ronny, how happy are folks who save hundred of dollars switching to geico? i'd say happier than a camel on wednesday. hump day!!! get happy. get geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more. giveat kohl's...y.... with an extra 15 or 20% off! give joy with thon ruby heart collecti... women's sleep sets - just $23.79...eu or a newg... and get joy with kohl's cash! give joy, gedajoy - this valentine'.. at kohl's.
1:32 am
cheezcombination of thecrunch with-ying cheese. with their delicious perfection- cheese. it's not all about you cheese. you think i have a mouth. i'm a wheel of cheese. got a point. [yeah] cheez-it. cheesy, crunchy satisfaction. (vo) only verizon was ranked #1 by rootmetrics. #1 in 3 opensignal bile experience awards. #1 in video streaming according to nielsen. and #1 in network quality according to jd power. we're proud to be the only network to winin ll four major awards-- not because of what it says about us, r but what it means ery one of our customers. if you haven't experienced america's most reliable network, now's the best time. because you'll get apple music, on us. remember the way we used to do things? hey man... like connect with friends? dig it! or get in shape? or sell a house and pay a real estate agent a big commission.
1:33 am
[crash] at redfin, we charge you a 1% listing fee. and because redfin.com is america's #1 brokerage site our agents get more eyes on your home so you sell for thousands more than the one next door. don't get stuck in the past. sell with a redfin agent. when i walked through a snowstorm for a cigarette,i thaw d to quit. t for realhis time. that's why i'm using nicorette. only nicorette gum hented dual-coated technology for great taste. plus intense craving reli. every great why, needs a great how.
1:34 am
z34hcz z16fz y34hcy y16fy [ chee and applause ] ♪ >> seth: every wednesday and friday we release a podcast edition of "te night" so you can catch up on the go. it's audio from the show and includes "a closer look," comedy
1:35 am
bits and guest interviews. plus extra things exclusive for the podcast, like bonus backstage interviews, chats with the "late night" staff, original comedy sketches and more. head to latenightsethpodcast.com to subscribe andt's free. which is great. for top-quality floors at rock-bottom prices, come to floor & decor. the largest tile and wood place i've ever seen in my life. it's every color. it's every style. it's a one-stop-shop. we got exactly what we wanted and we paid the price that we were looking for. why wouldn't you want to save money and make your house look great? the design center is a total inspiration. these guys know their stuff. hands down the best place for floors, no question. floor & decor. you have to see it to believe it.
1:36 am
1:37 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: my thanks to j.j. watt, tim meadows, anna konkle and maya erskine, evrsybody. [ chnd applause ] tucker rule, thanks for a great week. and of course the 8g band. y.stay tuned for "carson d we'll see you tomorrow. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ ♪ ♪ >> carson: welcome to "last call." i'm carson daly. and you are lookinonat the flatoom here in new york cit b

55 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on