Skip to main content

tv   Meet the Press  NBC  March 25, 2019 2:30am-3:30am EDT

2:30 am
this sunday, theueller report. after 675 days, it's now in attorney general bill ndbarr's >> the justice department is alerting congress that the investigation is over. so what happens now? >> democrats are demanding transparency. >> absolutely imperativeumhat the trp administration make that repopublic. >> that report needs to be made public. >> yes! >> as the president spends his eek appearing agitated over the coming repor >> there was no collusion. there was no obstruction. everybody knows it. it's all a big hoax. it's like all a witch hunt. >> what's in tch report. how ill the public see? will there be a coy t fight? >> mguest this morning jerry
2:31 am
nadler of new york and marco rubio of florida. plus no new inheictments. >>s of the president's supporters. >> if there was no kluge found it strongl vindicates president trump, but it's mr. trump's real fear about the report might say about po obstruction of justice. also yet muellerinvestigation might explain the continued attacks on >> i was never a fan of john mccain and i never will be. joining me for analysis are kristen welker, steve ball, former senator claire mccaskill of missouri and carlos cabello of florida. welcpee to sunday and aal edition of "meet the press". >> from nbc news in washington, the lonst running show in television history, this is a specialio edof "meet the press" with chuck todd. good sunday mornins the wait over. now we wait again.
2:32 am
attorney general bill barr cou send congress a pedia file of robe muell's principal conclusions. we have anticipated lots of unanswered questions for mueller to complete his report andnow at he's turned over his conclusions to bill barr and recommended no new indictments with that report, we're waiting, speculating and anticating any, yes, with still lots of unanswered questions. for instance. how much of the report will barr release to the public and to congrets. will democe satisfied with what is made available or will they go to courto gather supporting evidence. will president claim executive privileg ptovent the release of parts of the report. what does the report say about possible obstruction or collusion and are those two things intertwined? since the department of justice guidelines holds that a president cannot bete ind while in office, if mueller has found evidence of lliminality
2:33 am
he public ever know that evidence. will mueller testify himself and if barr testifies how soon will that happen. will supporters or opponents of president trump be satisfied with whatever is made public? >> the long-awaited mueller report has just been submitted. >> robert mueller's work is over. >> after a 675-day investigation into russia's interference in the 2016erlection and aft criminally charging 34 people including six former trp associates, robert mueller delivered his report. now it's up to attorney general bill barr to decide what to do next. >> i willommit to providing as much information as i can consistent with the regulations. >> but barr has discretion and democratic leaders of the house and senate are already issuing warnings, preparing for a battle over executive privilege. >> the president himself has called, without qualification, for the report to be made
2:34 am
public. >> and democrats are making transparency a 2020 issue. >> barr should be called to testify under oath before the united states congress. >> make thatub reportc as soon as possible. >> ultimately, i believe, this will be decided at the ballot box in 2020. >> the president a his allies have claimed they want the released. >> let it come out. let people see it. up to the attorney general. >> just put it all out there. ? put it all out there.ho w about don't redact anything. >> still, for nearly two years the president has been relentless in opposition to the ler probe. >> a deputy that didn't get any vote appoints a man that didn't get any a votesnd he'll report on me. >> is it possible obstruction of justice. >> from the fbi's director james comey back in may of 2017 to the misleading statement domestic tated by the statement, about
2:35 am
the june 2016 trump tower meeting with russians connected to the kremlin. >> my son is a wonderful young man. i think from a practical standpoint most people would have takenhat meeting. >> the president repeatedly berated jeff sessions for recusing himself in the russia probe. >> the attorney general said i'm going to recuse myself. >> floated the ideain of f mueller. >> i know that he's conflicted, and i know that his best friend ds comey who is a bad cop. >> callehe investigation a witch hunt on twitter at least 183 times and suggested, along th his lawyers, pardoning his former aides. >>'ve notoffered any pardons and i think they ask for whatever, would you? i said i'm nota tking anything off the table. >> now democrats who have delayed questions about impeachment saying they'reel waiting for r will be pressed to decide.
2:36 am
>> do you think it can affect the election in 2020. >> it divides the country. >> and joining me now fromrk ne s the chairman of the house judiciary committee, democrat gerald nadler, congressman nadler, welcome back to "meet the press qwe" sir. >> good morning. >> what do y believe is the finition of principal conclusion? >> well, i don'tknow. i don't know what's in the mueller report, and we'll just have to wait a see, but here's what i do know. what i know is that it's critical that everything in that report and the underlying evidence be in the blic and be open to the american people and that transparency is key. america needs answers as to what's been going on and i hopeo the departme justice will not leave things hanging by seeking to keephings secret. i also know that the department of justice believes that itan
2:37 am
cannot, unde circumstances indict a president for anything. >> right. they believe they cannot hold a sitting president accountable and accordingly, the only other institution that can is congress and congress must get all of the evidence that the department of justice may have in order to exercise o function of being able to hold the president accountable. if we don'to that and can't do that then the president sffectively is above the law. >> that brings to this ambiguous phrase, right? executive privilege. i'm just curious, whogets to decide -- who gets to arbitrate this? is this up to nee attorney l? >> well, no. the president mu personally assert executive privilege, and i do not believe it exists here at all because as we learn from the nixon tapes case, executive privilege cannot be used to hide wrongdoing, and in that case the
2:38 am
supreme court 9-0 ordered that all the claims o executive privilege be overwritten and the tapes be public, so i don't think -- the president may try to assert it and may try to hide things behind it. ino will say weother thing which are relevant here and we know that the president pressured the fbi director to go easy and to drop the investigation on mike flynn and some others and we know that he fired the fbi director for not thatg the personal loyalty he demanded and for not dropping those investigations. we know that many of the esident's closest associates, his national security adviser have been convted of krims aaem and he's waged a two-year campaign to attack the fbi, the special prosecutor, all to
2:39 am
demean the power -- >> so don't you have enough evidence? >> -opof those p to hold him accountable. >> do you have enough evidence? do you need to see the mueller report -- you have the indictments that mueller has issued. you have the narratives in those indictments and you have pieces, you know exactly a lot, probably, of what's going to be in this report. it soundsike you already believe there's enough out there to prove obstruction. >> e there may bdence that goes the other way. there might be evidence that tends to be exonerating. we need to see all the evidence and we don't -- we shouldn't have to our time and the public's time and money re-creating the same information by interviewing all of the same witnesses. there's no need for that duplication at all. >> now do you interpret the no new indictments decision by the special counsel? >> well, i don't know how to
2:40 am
interpret that athis point. first of all, the special counsel, we know there are lots of investigations going on,nd by other agencies and the southern district of new yore and astern district of trginia and there may be indictments fromm. the story is not over. beyond that, we don't know the reasons again and the public needs to see the report. >> will yaccept bob mueller's conclusions in the report once you read the while? >> i assume bob mueller being a very good and thorough ofessional that there will be good and adequate documentation and reasoning ithe report to support his conclusions in which case it will assert them. if they don't have documentation theydon't do it. >> if he didn't find evidence of collusion here, does that make you temper veme of your igations?
2:41 am
>> i don't think it tempers th investigation. we have to look at whatever loose ends there are, and we have to look at whatever we don't know. >> do you plan o calling bob mueller to testify before your committee? necessary, but that's a very big if. you y would you sa wouldn't want to hear from him. i'll be honest, as an american citizen and asho a taxpayer helped take care of this report part of me would like to hear from him directly. >> that would be very pleasant, but thea is he gave his report, he speaks through that report. if that repo answers all our questions there would be no need to call himornd if that r is all public. if that report is not public, if large reports are not made public or it leaves a lot of questions then we'd have a necessity. >> you don'tl witnesses un ycessarily. don't call him if you feel the justice department isn't giving him the report. >> or if there are questions
2:42 am
after reading the report. >> how closely are you working with your senate committee, judiciary side of things and lindsay graham. i ask that because it is judiciary that is dealing wi this. is there any way that you two can work together or is theli cs too hard? >> i don't know. we'll be trying that and we haven't workee together much yet, but we'll see. >> senator graham believeshere needs to be an investigation into how the fbi handled the clinton adminiration as well the trump investigation. would you ever be open to something like that? >> no. i think it's totally unnecessary. the republicans controlled the judiciary commitet and oversight committee and the house, in other words, last year, they did an extensive investigation of th andound nothing, just a lot of innuendo. as far as we n tell t hillary investigation was done
2:43 am
professionally and properly and the mueller report had the genesis ofsian interference in our election. >> you put documentequests 81 entities and individuals. i feel like in the beginning of the week you started to get cooperation and then it was clear the white house isn't cooperating. is a subpoena coming? are subpoenas next? >> if necessary. right now we're getting a lot of good cooperation from a lot of different people, but notefrom the whouse. not just our committee and not justrehose 81 ests. the white house is simply treating congress in generally ineontempt. they not bothering to respond to letters even wh a perfunctory, we received your letter and we'll reviei >> they're simply ignoring. >> do you have a deadline, how much timinyou're g them before you consider subpoenas? >> not off the top of my head, but beale -- we'll t when we have to. >> chairman nadler, it's the beginning of wh could be an
2:44 am
extraordinarily long year for you and a lot of us, anyway. chairman nadler, democrat from new york. very much. >> thank you. joining me now is republican senator marco rubio of florida who by the way, sits on theen intell committee which has its own investigation into interference. welcome back to "meet the press wet can ." >> thank you. >> the wall street journal didn't trust mueller or the president. it said release the whole thing as much as possible, is that where you stand? >> absolutely. in fact, i want to see all of it. what was the criminal -- what was the underlying criminal predicate for the entirein stigation. let's see the fisa investigations because this is an extraordinary use of government surveillance power and we have legal reason yes you might bse able to it, but show us what those were.at
2:45 am
as the underlying predicate for the fisa applications. let's see all ofhat and put all of that out there so we can pass judgment about how the investigation was conducted or at least th predicate for the investigation was conducted during the obama o years. thing that's difficult for the public is going to be does the president get to see the report before congress and it does seem as if that's a rabbit hole that attorney general would have to go down. how do you prevent that? >>ll first of prosecution and everything that has to do with prosecution andte contelligence is an executive function and so frankly the president does have the power to fire therecutor if they so choose. the president is politically accounble and second of all, president if they've done things to abuse power they can be impeached and if the white house wants to make th argument they can. that hasn't happened yet, but i think that's separate from the
2:46 am
mueller report and separate from i at will be released from the public. uld suspect that at the end of the day they'll release the report. they will redact classified information and they're not going to put things in there about people that isamaging to people that they chose not to prosecute, but that's not unique to the that is the way the justice department handles every case. they don't go out there and smear people and say we chose wt to prosecute. >> it was writth a floor of transparency and not a ceiling. so it is up to the discussion of the attorney general. would you look to the president not to invoke executive privilege here? >> it depends on what will be invoked onng there are t like internal deliberations inside the administration, because then it would be difficultenor the presto talk to people, but i would ask the president to lean towards transparency because i've been very clear from the beginning. >> i wanted the and i wanted it to be conducted apthout interference and you can go back to the and find me saying this for two years, that when it was all said and done, f the best thi the country
2:47 am
and for the president is for this probe to move forward and to be concluded and that's what's happened now. so we want to learn as much as we possibly can that's allowed and permissible under justice department a policy of course, the law of the country. >> what is the end of the mueller report mean for the intelligence committee's vestigations? there had been that there was some -- you needed the mueller report before finishing some those conclusions. what does this mean going now?rd >> i don't think we'll see it before anybody else anyio s congressional leadership might and second of all, that's a good question about that part, but the e tell you wh relevance of the mueller report is to the congressional investigation and the of it is there are witnesses that the investigators and that the committee wants to do talk to, but they have not wanted us to talk to them because they feel that the testimony in order to get a man might conflict with
2:48 am
the repor the end means there should nobody out dthere, there shouldn't be anyone out there that we shouldn't be allowed to interview fueler especially after mueller wrapped up and said he's not going after anyone for new carges. ere's no reason for anyone to not talk to us. >> i want to first ask you about north korea and the confusiosa but netions that the treasury department issued. the president putting tweet was announced today by the u.s. treasury and the additionac large sanctions would be added to those already existing sanctions of north kea and i've ordered the withdrawal of those additional sanctions. when asked for an explanation ou from the white, president likes chairman kim and he doesn't think theseon sanc will be necessary. it was a 24-hour. rebu what does this incident doth fo reliability of the united states on sanctions reges overall? >> i've never seen that before
2:49 am
from this or anyadnistration so something happened here. >> those things have to be approved and they know that they ar and they go through a process signed off by the president so something happened behe time it was announced and the time the president put out that statement. don't know the swer, to be honest. i don't know why it happened the way it di it's unusual. >> does it at all introduce any n? >> will he be there? you have talked him into doing more than a lot of peopleed expe >> do you trust him now on venezuela considering what he did with north korea? >> it's a little different. the president has beenve inv in now engagements with north ko a. i would love kim jong-un to give up his weapons and everything ulelse. i i don't criticize the president for trying. would, never believed he and i don't believe he will. this is a young dictator who has tool on to power. i'm not skeptical because i want
2:50 am
him to fail. m skeptical because i believe it will fail. how this happened, you have to ask the white house. i don't know how he issued this anduddenly he changed his mind and i don't know the rationale and maybe it's a good reason, but it's not the waynet's d >> what does this mean? we're trying to get more of the world to align on sanctions when it comes to venezuela and maduro. >> yeah. so on this parle at with north korea it's not helpful, right? ng have the treasury department and do somet that's been vetted and discussed. unless they got ahead ofse thes it doesn't make sense that in a few minutes or a few hours later thei president revoke them and it doesn't make sensif itwould happen that way, from now on when they hear about sanctions they're gog to ask for a double confirmation from the weihite house and i wi it hadn't uphappened that way.
2:51 am
>> i want to ask you about the remarks from the president about john mccain. inside the populist wing of the party, have come to loathe abou republicans. by attacking mccain, he is stoking the emotions and the gop elite. what is it about john -- what portion of your party sooathes john mccain that they cheer this? >> yeah. >> there is a chunk of it. do you understand it? >> no. john mccain is not here tolf defend himnd there's a reason not to use him as that. second of all, i don't git. i don't understand it. i didn't agree with john mccain on everything. so what? but i honored and i respected the service toour country and he did things he feltss pnate about and whether you agreed with him or not, it wasn't for
2:52 am
somend nefarious purpose it was a man who was deeply influenced by his experience, and i ademired john mccain as a man and what hes did united states senate and i don't understand the feeling about him and i don't think frankly, he's the person that should be singled out for these attacks ani don't get i i don't understand it. frankly, i don't know how it furthers anything in termsf at we're trying to get done. at the end my job is to represent the people of florida and serve my country and i don't know why this any of this furthers that objectiv for me or anybody else out there? >> i think you're not alone in that aspect ere. >> senator marco rubio, republican from forida. i'll leave it there. iapeciate you coming in. >> many declare victory before the report is made public. the report is made public. there's more we plants capture co2. what if other kinds of plants captured it too?
2:53 am
if these industrial plants had technology that captured carbon like trees we could help lower emissions. carbon capture is important technology - and experts agree. that's why we're working on ways to improve it. so plants... can be a little more... like plants. ♪ paper prepares us please have a seat. showcases the best ideas and motivates decisions. let's get started. when making a big impression matters, use paper. well, how does that sound? we're in! paper and packaging. how life unfolds. for adults with moderately syto severely activeou? crohn's disease, stelara® works differently. studies showed relief and remission, with dosing every 8 weeks. stelara® may lower your ability to fight infections and may increase your risk of infections and cancer. some serious infections require hospitalization. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you have an infection or flu-like symptoms or sores,
2:54 am
have had cancer, or develop new skin growths, or if anyone in your house needs or recently had a vaccine. alert your doctor of new or worsening problems, including headaches, seizures, confusion and vision problems. these may be signs of a rare, potentially fatal brain condition. some serious allergic reactions and lung inflammation can occur. talk to your doctor today, and learn how janssen can help you explore cost support options. remission can start with stelara®. (clock ticking) (bell ringing) it's me. time for a new kind of cloud. the ibm cloud. the cloud that proactively protects your business from threats, instead of just reacting to them. that lets you modernize and move more of your apps without re-writing. that unlocks insights from all your data and puts it to work with ai. get a faster, more secure journey to the cloud. the ibm cloud. the cloud for smarter business. ♪ ♪
2:55 am
welcome back. michaelen of axiosdawrote yestthat there are two kinds of, quote, collusion delusion. one, the belief among president trump's most ardent supporters. the notm collusion indts means that the witch hunts have been vindicated and in a second he wrote the bitteral y that this probe has spawned many others stretching far beyond russia. it's delusional to think it simply ends with no collusion. joining me to look at some of the legal implications of the mueller report is ari melber and host of the beaterand fo fbi official chuck rosenberg. >> i want to start with you. the noew indictments with the conclusion of the mueller report was greeted as a moment of vindication by the president's most ardent supporters. why shouldn't they feel good, aa leasut that fact? >> s they can femewhat good because it shows that bob
2:56 am
mueller has not found a chargeable election conspiracy. not against donald trumpndthe people around him so that tells you something. the reason why president trump has remained quiet and most people are still waiting is the report can ultimately surface a lot of other bad material about or judgments or even attempted crimes without charging them. >> chuck rosenberg, principal the justice department.worked in you know how different peoe interpret different phrases. what's your sense of what bill barr means by that? >> he promised it quickly, chuck and he strikes me i thatwould be reasonably high level meaning all of the stuff we want to see in the report, all of the ai interesting d and probably not. >> you expect a very narrow scope here. reasonably narrow because he promised it so quickly and there is lot to work through before you can decide whether alltf the otherf could be public. >> it's collusion versus obstruction and can you come to
2:57 am
a collusion conclusion? apologies for that illiteration if obstruction took place, ari?n >> you dely can shed more light on what were the reasons that donald trump seemed to repeatedlyit interfere these probes, instruct people to mislead or lie, was there something underlying? and the theory had been that might be the collusion. it might be other related problems that national security officials cares about or the congress cares about that are not what has been called for example, if somebody high on the government owes a foreign power a lot of money and that has corrupted foreign policy that's a big deal, but that might not be the thing a special counsel charges. >> we have an array of issues in public that we've covered that have some people believing that obstruction -- you have the suggestion of comey to drop the flynn probe. you have theiring of comey
2:58 am
when he cited the russia thing, calling for thettorney general fire mueller, dangling the possibility of pardons and this is the public record. do you expect mueller, if -- do you expec him to be so focused on his charge that he lists the evidence without making a conclusion? meaning he'll list all of the obstruction evidence and basically, chuck rosenberg, it's up to you toonclude whethe that's obstruction. >>he is a difference between what you find and to describe. i worked for thean. expect him to describe it and not to characterizet soit will be for us and for congress and journalists to decide whether what mueller has found amounts to obstruction. he will describe it. he will lay out the evidence. he wiln give you evidentiary foundation. i believe it will be forctthers to chaize. >> that leads to the political challenge, ir think, e
2:59 am
house judiciary committee and that's why you heard hesitance. >> absolutely. ultimately the materials that come from bobmueller to the congress, whether that is sooner or later, are going to put forward questions of whether this president abused his power in such a way that the congress wants to do someabout it, and that's significant even in the absence of collusion indictment. so you have both things happening, chuck. on the one hand, pe le who ha long assumed or hoped that this president clearly and egi legitimately obtained the presidency and there's no chargeable collusion and the white house would have to consider the facts about potential obstruction. >> let me get to executive privilege here because ts to me is this robert hole. how do you know what to assert about executive privilege without reading the report. >> who reads it? >> there's this odd tension here? the justice department part of the executive branch. the president runs the executive
3:00 am
branch. >> the attorney general ta the uniteds reports to the president. if there's stuff in that report and put aside classifi information and grand jury information and all those other categories. if there's stf in that report executive privilege can be genuinely and legitimately asserted someone will have to see ithe before can make the assertion. i assume white house counsel will go through the report and see whether or not an assertion is valid. remember, privileges are qualified an they've been overcome in the past and it may be overcome here. >> gerald nadler seems to think that the white house has no case here. do you think they have a csse? >> i a very hard argument to make that bob mueller got things fromeople through a lawful process. >> voluntarily, though, and the white house's lawyers had always said they reserve the right. >>vehey said they res the right and this say lawfis a law process and no judge rejected the tools and something very
3:01 am
specialmphat donald tput in his own written answers subject to his own qualified statementa e later wanted to revoke it. it's hard to s the bulk of to privilege.ject >> you have a way of reminding us, what is it about the mueller report that is important to people that we're not seducin discussing. >> it's a counterintelligence investigation.er what did our ary russia do to us in the 2016 election and what do they hope to us do down the road? >> is that wrapped up? does that mean it's also wrapped up, too, the counterintelligence investigation? >> i would be sprised if that s wrapped up and here's why. this is an ongoing struggle between russia and wtern democracies. they didn't stop doing what they do when bob muelleris finished report and whether it's mueller or theounterintelligence of the fbi and this is a serious ongoing concern. >> but at some poine justice department has to be a part of
3:02 am
ending the presidency and letting the congress and anyone else makent judg >> all right. ari melber, thank you for sharing yourex pertise. maria ramirez? hi. maria ramirez! mom! maria! maria ramirez... mcdonald's is committing 150 million dollars in tuition assistance, education, and career advising programs... prof: maria ramirez mom and dad: maria ramirez!!! to help more employees achieve their dreams. this is decision tech. it's screening technology that helps you find a stock based on what's trending or an investing goal.
3:03 am
it's real-time insights and information, in your own customized view of the market. it's smartergy trading techno for smarter trading decisions. and it's only from fidelity. open an account with no minimums today. and it's only from fidelity. ♪ ♪ this simple banana peel represents a bold idea: a way to create energy from household trash. it not only saves about 80% in carbon emissions... it helps reduce landfill waste. that's why bp is partnering with a california company: fulcrum bioenergy. to turn garbage into jet fuel. because we can't let any good ideas go to waste. at bp, we see possibilities everywhere. to help the world keep advancing. the big drug companies don't see they see us as profits. we're paying the highest prescription drug prices in the world so they can make billions?
3:04 am
americans shouldn't have to choose between buying medication and buying food for our families. it's time for someone to look out for us. congress, stop the greed. cut drug prices now. welcome back. panel is here. quite a bit to talk about. carlos cabello, now an nbc political analyst. clara mccaskill, also a political analyst. firs time on "meet the press". >> thank you. >> and the washington post. >> here'she what wrote about
3:05 am
the mueller report. the mueller fuport will be ing calls for the president's impeachment or providing him fodder to claim vindication or possibly in this li in your own reality moment both at the same time. i was thinking about this today. carlos and claire you were bothr on the campaigl in '18 and both have said we wantr o wait e mueller report. mueller report is here and how are folks in missouri receiving it this morning? >> i have to tell you the truth. they're not asd focu on it as we are. >> not surprised. >> i honestly believeop the that wl decide the presidential election inne 2020 mueller will not be at the top of their list and that's something that the candidates need to keep in mind that this isn't as big a deal in people's lives as it is for all of us who have followed it very closely. havi said that, y know, i just think the democratic party has to be very careful here and focus on what' hiding in plain
3:06 am
sight. over 17 members of the trump campaign, advisors or officials had over00 contacts with one of our biggest foreign enemies in the world during the campaign. that isry extraordind 36 people were charged and six of them were officials of the trump campaign. over 200 charges were brought. focusing on the report, i think we have to bry careful and not lose sight what the american people need to be reminded of is thiss really bad stuff. >> so, carlos, what are folks in your strict going to be saying today? >> there are no winners. thns republiidn't win and the democrats didn't win. there is some good news he people in south florida appreciate that. our institutions did work. >> how do you know? >> this is a probe that the president did not want to see. he called it witch hunt. it's clear that it was anything, but a witch hunt. bob mueller was professional,
3:07 am
deliberative, sober in his approach to this and now this is going -- at some point it's going to be made open to the opublic for people analyze and .ee and opine on. this is a big de this is something we take for granted inun this y and it does not happen in venezuela, cuba or anywhere else. >> the president sent out a few tweets this morning saying have a greatday. his advisers are saying do not comment publicly. will he listen? we'll have to wait and see, but they know ios too to spike the football and when you think about the sce of this and this goes back to cleaire's point an thout his former advisers are cooperating with muler and you ha rick gates just to name a few. you have his public statements about ssia. so they know that there's potentially the possibility that ere's still damaging information in there, and i think that's why you are going to see a fight about how much public made >> i have to say.
3:08 am
the conclusions have been drawn by the i don't know what would have to be in this report that you think would change the mindset of the public. >> i have no idea unless he lays out a case on obstruction of justice and in a sense, handing on a platter to the house judiciary committee to go forward with it. i'm not saying we should expect that. >> i think it's what chuck rosenberg outlined and he put the facts in there and you decide if it is. >> on thpe front,le have already decided. i think senator, you're solutely right. for most people this is not top of mind and to the they already know what they think about him, and abo what happened, and so i think the test going forward will be how the democrats n the house handle the further investigations? >> i so think there is an important question here. base is he question's never going to abandon him, but what happens to thec democra
3:09 am
base if the worst that comes out of this is the indictments we've seen. we know for a lot of democrats this was going to be a way to get rid of donald trump. this was the instrument, the mueller probe to overturn the 2016 election that a lot of people uldn't explain after it happened. if the worse that we see is these indictmts is that base going to be deflated and swing voters and the suburban districts they know really well. those swing voters, if democrats try it on take this into overtime is the fatigue worse and do people start andoning democrats? >> i think democrats have to be careful, but you sai this isn't like venezuela. let's be really clear here. if they use executive power and execut privilege and what we have is the respect for a rule of law andthe line between the executive power and the rule law. trump has crossed that norm and behaved in bizarre ways
3:10 am
repeatedly and if the report focuses on that, it is a little bit likese venezuela and t countries where the president controls the rule of law,e don't let our president control the rule of law and if he tried to here, i think it will have -- non-ending consequences for the president. >> kristen, emmett flood is basically the white house lawyer th may be interacting the most with this. is he going to be able to read the report befor gerald nadler? >> that is their expectation? >> they think they can se it first? constitutionally i guess they do. >> they think so because they do think there are significant questions about executive privilege. will tt happen, though? we'll have to see, what is barr going to do? >> that's why you have leadership sing we cannot start talking impeachment yet and it's too soon itill backfire. >> one way the president shed -- is to attack john
3:11 am
mccain. it is directly related to mueller and it is all john mccain that got james comey to inveigate and here is his taste of increasing angert mccain throughout the week. >> i was never a fan of john mccain and i never will be. >> not my kind of guyhu badlying the republican party, badly hurting our nation. he was horrible what he did repeal and replace. what he did to the republican party and to the nation, but yo' shouhave brought it up. actually i thought you weren't supposed to bring it up, but that's okay. you know, fake new >> it was interesting there. not expectqug the mccain tion. i want to ask the two of you, mccain is better to invoke with democrats than it is with republicans and you heard -- you heard that. first, i want to ask you, what do the senators really think john mccain?es >> it hurts everybody's heart. john mccain and i had b btles. tled with all of us at one time or another, but he was an
3:12 am
incredible man, and what he went through -- i don't know what's wrong with this guy? how do you punch down to someone who was a p.o.w. and is dead the same week you reverse sanctions against a guy because you say you like him who starves his people and kills hialy for power? it is beyond weird, and i think it shows some real mental problems with this president that he feels the need after somebody who is dead. >> carlos, there is a irus, an part of the republican party that cheers this. they're excited when it happens and they send crazy notes to cindy mccain and meghan mccain d people like that. >> that's right. part of the base is politically intoxicated and when did it become normal or okay in our country toic cre, to attack at a personal level. this is not a policy disagreement, but to personally atta someoneho sacrificed for our country and i was happy to hear marco rubio to say he disagreed with it today d
3:13 am
republicans seem to be stronger. >> you know why they're not -- >> at some point you have to lead and whether or not you have aha primaryenge and i think that's on both sides, a primary challenge, but at what point do you sacrifice yr core values and humanity to avoid a primary challenge. you shouldn't. >> way to end that in that segment. when we come back, we'll change it a bit. democrats don't like theco electoral ege. we have a way to make it more way. way. how can changing the shouldn't mean going back to the doctoro just for a shot. with neulasta onpro patients get their day back... to be with family, or just to sleep in. strong chemo can put you at risk of serious infection. in a key study neulasta reduced the risk of infection from 17% to 1%, a 94% decrease. neulasta onpro is designed to deliver neulasta the day after chemo and is used by most patients today.
3:14 am
neulasta is for certain cancer patients receiving strong chemotherapy. do not take neulasta if you're allergic to it or neupogen (filgrastim). an incomplete dose could increase infection risk. ruptured spleen, sometimes fatal as well as serious lung problems, allergic reactions, kidney injuries and capillary leak syndrome have occurred. report abdominal or shoulder tip pain, trouble breathing or allergic reactions to your doctor right away. in patients with sickle cell disorders, serious, sometimes fatal crises can occur. the most common side effect is bone and muscle ache. ask your doctor about neulasta onpro. pay no more than $5 per dose with copay card. ♪ our mission is to make offshore wind one of the principal new sources of energy. not every bank is willing to get involved in a first-of-its-kind project.
3:15 am
citi saw the promise of clean energy. we're polluting the air less. businesses and homes can rely on a steady source of power. this will be the first of many offshore wind farms in the u.s. ♪ ♪ ♪ >> welcome back. data download time. a growing number of 2020 candidates are floating the idea ofhe abolishing electoral college. no surprise because in two of the last five presidential els democrats have won the popular vote and still lost the election. take 2016, hillary clinton got
3:16 am
over 65 million votes while president trump got just under 63 million, but it was president trump who won theed prce we 306 electoral votes over clinton's 232. the idea behind the electoral college was to keep small states from being ignored by presidential candidate, but in reality the presidential race is always decided by the battlegrou states. in 2016, just 14 of the most competitive states received 99% of the campaign ad spending and 95% of vits by t candidates on the campaign trail, and it had nothing to do wi population. some were small like new hampshire and mane, bine, but somewhere bigger like florida and ohio. what's more not electoral votes count the same. since each state gets an electoral vote, wye onlying with a population of 577,000 people gets three electoral votes. that breaks down to one electoral vote for every 192,000
3:17 am
people. now look at the state of california where nearly 40 et million peoplenly 55 electoral votes. that is one electoral vote per every 719,000eoe, but what if we made the number of electoral votes proportional each state's population? onesing wyoming's standard vote per 192,000 people it would and its three votes california would wind up with a whopping 205 electoral votes. now, do that for every stat and there would be almost 1700 electoral votes in play, making the new magic number 850 to win. so would that have changed the 2016 sult? actually, no. donald trump would still have won. nothere are other options. electoral votes can be distributed proportional to each state's popular vote or simply by congressional district, but for now at least the candidates will have to win the old-fashioned way.
3:18 am
when we come back the 2020 presidential racean michael bloomberg's complaint that democrats are too quick to apologize, well, for anything. >> everydy else and beto, >> everydy else and beto, whatever his nameng your morniwere made for better things than rheumatoid arthritis. before you and your rheumatologist move to another treatment, ask if xeljanz xr is right for you. xeljanz xr is a once-daily pill for adults with moderate to severe ra for whom methotrexate did not work well enough it can reduce pain, swelling and further joint damage, even without methotrexate. xeljanz xr can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections, and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened. as have tears in the stomach or intestines, serious allergic reactions, low blood cell counts, higher liver tests and cholesterol levels. don't start xeljanz xr if you have an infection. your doctor should perform blood tests before and while taking xeljanz xr, and monitor certain liver tests.
3:19 am
tell your doctor if you've been somewhere fungal infections are common and if you have had tb, hepatitis b or c, or are prone to infections. don't let another morning go by without talking to your rheumatologist about xeljanz xr. don't let another morning go bpaper prepares us to please have a seat. showcases the best ideas and motivates decisions. let's get started. when making a big impression matters, use paper. well, how does that sound? we're in! paper and packaging. how life unfolds. tremfya® is for adults with remoderate. to severe plaque psoriasis. with tremfya®, you can get clearer. and stay clearer. in fact, most patients who saw 90% clearer skin at 28 weeks stayed clearer through 48 weeks. tremfya® works better than humira® at providing clearer skin and more patients were symptom free with tremfya®. tremfya® may lower your ability to fight infections and may increase your risk of infections. before treatment, your doctor should check you for infections and tuberculosis. tell your doctor if you have an infection or have symptoms such as: fever, sweats, chills, muscle aches or cough.
3:20 am
before starting tremfya® tell your doctor if you plan to or have recently received a vaccine. ask your doctor about tremfya®. tremfya®. because you deserve to stay clearer. janssen wants to help you explore cost support options.
3:21 am
3:22 am
♪ ♪ apologizing for being male, over 5 white, apologize for the one piece of legislation which is a pret good anti-crime bill which is the liberals would read it most of the things they like are in that they should read it. >> welcome back time for endgame andas thatormer new york city mayor michael bloomberg this week going after democrats for others caed an apology tour. he decided not to run not because he didn't want to be president, but he didn't think he could win in the primary.
3:23 am
>> i think he's right on.re i think th wins and not apologizing. biden could have easily pivoted and said you know what wasat in bill? community policing what wene desperatel right now to re-establish trust in neighborhoods between police and the people they serve. >> you're with michael bloomberg. >> violence again women's act. >> you were the prosecutor. >> was the prosecutor because of that bill. we finally had money to support domestic violence victims so we could get them into court and put the perpetrators behind bars. politically to be correct they're leaving some strength over there on the side of the road and we've got to have strength if we're going to beat this guy. we're not going to beat him with anybody. we'll have to beat him with someonthat reassures america that we can once again be envied by the rest of the world instead of ridiculed and we can be strong and hold the middle.
3:24 am
>> my question is when did mickal bloomberg become a democrat when it was toughor voices like his to come out of primaries and why did he become a democrat, where maybe, just maybe he's a middleane for howard schultz and it could have been formiael bloomberg. i want to put up joe biden's people have been talking perhaps too much because we now know all of their hand wringing. on one hand they're-a sere and he's thinking of picking at a vp early and stacy abrams was out thermaybe it's a one-term pledge. if you like joe biden you should be glad that he's thinking about ways that uld run to problems in the democratic nomination.he onther hand this is introducing your campaign by starting with the wesnesses. >> i an attempt to compensate from weaknesses and i think it is aco rition on their part that he has to answer for. the party of joe biden has grown up with and in many ways has
3:25 am
defined over different heards of time and they have to wrestle with that, and i think that the other question thatthey're grappling with is how do you make somebody who has been on the public stage for put aside how old he is at 76? how do you maka personike that seem fresh? one way to do it is to run a campaign that's different than other campaigns have been run and that's what they're trying it on do, but they've got -- i don't quite know what happened with the scy abrams vp thing, but boy, they've had to roll it back quickly. >> he may have offeredher to be her running mate at this point. >> right. and a lotf people are saying, look, the mere fact that this has gotten so much attention really undercuts his strength as he potentiall enters this race because it looks like a hail mary, almost, at the front end. >> and he's the leading poll guy and oh, my god, i might lose. >> the fact check as i was allking to people close to him,
3:26 am
look, the ry is that's not something that's being seriously considering rit now and they are considering half a dozen different things as he enters this rac and an acknowledgement and also the fact that the field progressive. how does he enter the field, fit in, and change the near tiff. >> i wan to play beto o'rourke's response yesterday to the mueller report. take a listen to what he said. >> this is an unprecedented attack on this country and on our democracy and we are owed the facts and if we do not receive them 243 years in there is nothing that guarantees us a 244th. >>tly alarmist there referring to seeing the mueller repo beto o'rourke, you served with him, carlos, claire mccaskill, is he ready to be your party's standard bearer? >> i don't know. you're asking me to pickhe bracket for next year's tournament. >> you don't know if missouri gets invited. >> right. probably not, but the point is this is going to beti a where we have a large field and
3:27 am
they're going to battle for inspiring people. they're going to battle for donors especially lowno d. they're going to battle for the living rooms of iowa and we'll see who emerges from this and i they are -- they have to be substantive. you ca at be show and no go. >> yeah. >> betoom needs to get meat on the bones here and not just be inspirational. >> is he a moderate? did you consider him a moderate with him.erved >> kind of. he's a good guy. by the way, he's aood chef. >> oh, really? >> no, he is. he actually is. he is a little scripted and hem needs to b himself and be more authentic. >> thank you, guys. what a week. that's all we've got for today. thank you for watching. good luck with the brackets and obviously mccaskill is out of hers. we'll beack nex week for sweet 16 weekend because if it's sunday it's "meet the press."
3:28 am
3:29 am
3:30 am
the attorney general's report on the mueller investigation does not conclude that the president committed a crime, it also does noton ate him. but the white house has been exuberant about the results. >> it was a complete and total exoneration. it's a shame that our country had to go through this. a massive pileup, how the multi-car chain reaction happened. israeli prime minister benjamin netanyahu arrived in the u.s. just days before ections back home.as president controversy over herewith golan heights pronouncement. spring hail blankets texas. we'll

21 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on