Skip to main content

tv   The Late Show With Stephen Colbert  CBS  November 28, 2016 11:35pm-12:37am EST

11:35 pm
>> stephen: hi. >> can't go in. >> stephen: i just want to say hello to flotus. i brought her a lotus. >> flotus is on the phone with potus. >> stephen: she'll wan s >> stephen: i want to see flotus, and you can quote us. >> i'ma kick you in the scrotus. >> stephen: i'm going to get your name. okay? you're on notice. >> it's otis. ? ? ? >> it's "the late show with stephen colbert." tonight, stephen welcomes first lady michelle obama. and america ferrera. featuring jon batiste and stay
11:36 pm
and now, from the ed sullivan theater in new york city, it's stephen colbert! ( cheers and applause ) ? ? ? >> stephen: hey! how are you? captioning sponsored by cbs >> stephen: welcome to "the late show," everybody. good to see you, jon. nice to see you. ( cheers ) we about to do it! thanks so much, everybody. nice. what lovely people here. amazing. ( cheers ) please, thank you so much for being here. welcome to "the late show." up there, down here, all around. welcome, good to see you. these people are alive on this planet. thank you for being here. welcome to "the late show," i'm
11:37 pm
everyone here is with a loved one tonight. because i have some terrible news: angelina and brad pitt are getting a divorce. that's right, no more "brangelina." they're just going to be "gelina" and "bran," now. here's what happened: the divorce papers were filed yesterday in los angeles superior court, citing "irreconcilable attractiveness." ( laughter ) now, why did this happen? we don't know. we can speculate, but we're not sure. because in the early hours after something this cataclysmic, it is the fog of war. but rumors are swirling that brad had an affair with french actress marion cotillard. ( crowd reacts ) yeah oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. so we could soon be looking at mariad brotillitt. ( laughter ) speaking of bickering couples, are you guys ready for this monday's presidential debate?
11:38 pm
i'm not entirely sure if those are screams of excitement or panic. well, i just want to let you know "the late show" will be coming to you live on monday right after the debates. join us, won't you? ( applause ) because just like the debates, nothing about my show will be fact checked. so please join me with my guest, queen elizabeth ii! it's going to be good. and i think it was just ye moderator lester holt announced the topics of the debate: which by the way, are also the least-popular scents at yankee candle. i've got to say, those are some pretty general topics. leave something for the moderators coming after you, lester! it's like you just licked every baby carrot on the debate topic vegetable tray. by the way, "debate topic
11:39 pm
very unpopular yankee candle scent. trump has been preparing for the debate by posting an online survey asking voters to weigh in on the all-important questions from what issues trump should focus on to whether or not he should say "crooked hillary" on the debate stage. that is leadership. ( laughs ) there are a couple of core principles that define who i am. now, what are they again? ( cheers and applause ) and according to trump, the reason he's prepping via online survey is because, "he's only going on stage to be your voice." i know that's not true, because if trump was my voice, he would be letting out a constant horrified scream.
11:40 pm
there's a reason, i believe, we do not run democracy via buzzfeed poll. i want a commander in chief who puts thought into his policy. more thought than what i put into finding out which "gilmore girls" character i am. p.s. i'm a total lorelai. ( applause ) but-- lorelai fans. lorelai fans. but on the other hand, this is a rare opportunity for you to directly influence a presidential debate. he's reading this online poll to figure out what he should say on stage. so, here's what i want you, the colbert nation, to do. i want you to go to www.gop.com/debate-prep-survey, and fill out the survey. ( cheers and applause ) and whenever, on almost every question, it gives you the option, "other, please specify,"
11:41 pm
put in something we'd really like to hear trump say, like, "i'm releasing my taxes." or "i'm not really a billionaire." or "putin's butt tastes like cotton candy." ( cheers and applause ) >> jon: oh! oh! oh! >> stephen: yeah. ? we got a winner ? now, a poll came out last week the support of just 31% of likely voters under 35," with the remaining 69% of millennials split evenly between bernie sanders and harambe. ( laughter ) but, i do know of one millennial who's voting for hillary, former president george h.w. bush. he qualifies as a millennial because i believe he's a thousand years old. ( laughter ) just kidding.
11:42 pm
years ago, he celebrated his 90th birthday by skydiving and tweeting about it. ( cheers and applause ) all right? so to those of you out there whose grandpa still can't figure out how to use an iphone, have him try it in mid-air. now, here's how we know how he's voting. yesterday, former maryland official and robert kennedy's daughter, kathleen kennedy townsend, posted this picture of her with h.w. on facebook, saying, "the president told me he's voting for hillary!" so-- yeah. so, jeb bush, there goes your one write-in vote. ( laughter ) now, to recap: a bush told a kennedy he's voting for a clinton. if you're playing along at home, that's "illuminati bingo."
11:43 pm
say hello to jon batiste and stay human, everybody. ? ? ? ? ? ? >> stephen: it's like old days. old home week. hey! all right, all right. everybody feeling okay? ( cheers and applause ) i'm glad to hear it because it's been a rough couple of days here in new york and around the country. and a lot of people are trying to figure out how to keep us safe. there's a lot of thoughtful commentary out there. then there's this next thing: last night, trump's oldest son and guy who promises you a great deal on a 2003 suzuki sidekick. donald trump jr., tweeted out this graphic.
11:44 pm
makes me reconsider my stance on eating syrian refugees. ( laughter ) now, now, there are a couple of problems with this skittles meme. first off, it reads, "if i had a bowl of skittles and i told you just three would kill you--" period. okay, that's not right. ( laughter ) as in, "if you think that's a complete sentence, you must have your head up your." ( laughter ) also-- ( cheers ) period! period! also, turns out the math is wrong. he's saying three out of a little bowl of refugees would kill you, but last week the conservative cato institute did the math and found the odds of an american being killed by a refugee in a terror attack is one in 3.64 billion. so that's not three poisoned skittles in a bowl.
11:45 pm
swimming pools of skittles. ( laughter ) and, yes, for the record, i would eat all of them. ( laughter ) because once you get started you're like-- two more, two more. i'll just have two more. worst of all, this meme isn't even original. it's a ripoff of a similar idea posted by a feminist group, though in the original analogy, they used m&ms. of course, the trump family prefers skittles because there are no brown ones. ( applause ) but here's the real problem with this graphic: it compares refugees fleeing their war-torn countries to pieces of sugar. these are people who dream of living in a country where food is so plentiful, we waste our candy on metaphors. so let me explain to donald trump jr. why he's wrong in language he can understand.
11:46 pm
reducing complex political problems to candy is nutrageous. anyone with an ounce of smarties is snickering at you, because you are alienating a lot of peeps. i mean, where does it end? do we keep out swedish fisherman or gay couples like mike and ike? ( laughter ) ( applause ) you're just trying to skor a cheap political payday with this whopper, dum dum. ( cheers and applause ) there's more. there's more. so go back to 5th avenue, and fudge yourself. ( cheers and applause ) we'll be right back to ponder the innocence of youth with a surprise guest.
11:47 pm
( applause ) coming up on "look! famous people!" we catch flo, the progressive girl, at the supermarket buying cheese. scandal alert! flo likes dairy?! woman: busted! [ laughter ] right afterwards we caught her oh, yeah! [ indistinct shouting ] is this your chauffeur? what?! no, i was just showing him how easy it is to save with snapshot from progressive. you just plug it in and it gives you a rate based on your driving. does she have insurance for being boring? [ light laughter ] laugh bigger. [ laughter ] ? i don't treat every customer the same, and i personalize their cups. smiley face. congratulations. happy friday. happy tuesday.
11:48 pm
ter] i think the personalization is what customers really like, 'cuz they like, "you care. you notice. you remembered." they like, "oh my god, thank you, you've literally made my day." top this off with some of this delicious whipped cream. ? ? ? ? ? energy is a complex challenge. people want power. and power plants account for more than a third
11:49 pm
before they're released into the atmosphere. exxonmobil is a leader in carbon capture. our team is working to make this technology better, more affordable so it can reduce emissions around the world. that's what we're working on right now. ? energy lives here. ( ? ) it's just a cough. if you could see your cough, you'd see just how far it can spread. robitussin dm max is now better tasting, with the same fast powerful cough relief. robitussin dm max.
11:50 pm
11:51 pm
? ? ? ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: hey, welcome back, everybody! in just a little bit, i'm really excited, because just in a little bit i'll be sitting down with first lady michelle obama. ( cheers and applause ) everybody likes her. everybody likes this woman, even though she is most famous for telling people to eat their vegetables. it's incredible. for eight years at home and abroad, she has provided a voice for every american who wanted to
11:52 pm
the first lady is here to talk about "let girls learn," her program to promote education for young women all across the globe. now, this might come as a shock to a lot of you, but i am not a girl. ( laughter ) but a lot of important people in my life-- my daughter, my wife, my mother-- were all once girls. and i can tell you, i'm glad they had access to education. of course, i did go to school, and i learned a lot while growing up. but there are times that i miss the innocence of being a child. i wish there was a place i could go whe e i was a child was still true. and you know what? there is. my blanket fort. ? ? ? ( applause ) >> stephen: hey, hey, are you still awake? >> oh! ( cheers and applause )
11:53 pm
>> stephen: hey, michelle? >> what? >> stephen: nothin'. ( laughter ) >> hey, stephen? >> stephen: hey, yeah? >> if you got stuck on a desert island with one famous person, who would you pick? >> stephen: oh, i'd pick the president. how about you? >> beyonce. ( laughter ) ( applause ) >> stephen: wait, wait, wait. can i change to beyonce? >> no. she's mine. >> stephen: can i visit? >> maybe. >> stephen: hey, michelle? do you think fruits and
11:54 pm
i eat way too many of them. >> stephen: hey, can i have one of your baby carrots? >> yeah, they're great. ( laughter ) >> stephen: thanks. hey, did you know that if you eat too many carrots you turn orange? >> really? >> stephen: yeah. and if you turn really orange, you have to start saying crazy ( laughter ) ( applause ) >> hey, stephen? >> stephen: yeah? >> what do you think adults do all day while we're at school? >> stephen: oh, they go to work. >> and what do they do at work? >> stephen: i think they drink wine and watch r-rated movies. ( laughs ) >> hey, what do you want to be when you grow up? >> stephen: oh, i think i want to go to harvard and be a lawyer
11:55 pm
nutrition and military families and girls' education. what about you? >> i want to be joe biden. >> stephen: yeah. ( laughs ) >> or a pirate. >> stephen: oh! or a pirate joe biden! arrrr. get off me-- get off me train! >> that's pretty good, joe biden michelle obama pirate. >> stephen: i've been working on it. you want to see something spooky? >> yeah. oh, my gosh! don't do that! it's not funny! >> stephen: hey, ow, ow! ( laughter ) ( applause ) >> stephen: when i grow up i'm going to be president so i'll have the secret service stop you from doing that to me. hey, michelle, why do we have to take the presidential physical fitness test? why does he care how many sit-
11:56 pm
>> probably because he's super competitive. ( laughter ) >> stephen: hey, i heard that some teachers have their own kids at home. >> really? >> stephen: yeah. >> how do they get them? >> stephen: i hear they pick the ones they like best from last year's class. ( laughter ) hey, michelle, do you know where babies come from? >> you should ask a grown-up. >> stephen: why? >> because they get really flustered when you ask and they start stuttering. they're like, "oh, well..." ( laughter ) it's the funniest thing in the whole world. you gotta see it. >> stephen: i'm going to do that. >> hey, stephen. >> stephen: yeah. >> if you got one wish what would it be? >> stephen: i'm not telling unless you tell. >> well, i'm not telling unless
11:57 pm
three and say them at the same time. >> okay. one, two, three! improve access to education for the 62 million girls worldwide who are not in school! ( cheers and applause ) >> jinx! now you can't talk until i say your name, stephen! >> stephen: that counts! my friend michelle obama, everybody. we'll be right back. ? ? ? ( cheers and applause ) i thought i was managing my moderate to severe crohn's disease. i didn't think there was anything else to talk about. but then i realized there was. so, i finally broke the silence with my doctor about what i was experiencing. he said humira is for people like me who have tried other medications but still experience the symptoms of moderate to severe crohn's disease. in clinical studies, the majority of patients on humira saw significant symptom relief. and many achieved remission.
11:58 pm
serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. if you're still just managing your symptoms, talk with your gastroenterologist about humira.
11:59 pm
i thought my bladder leakage meant my social life was over. wearing depend underwear has allowed me to fully engage in my life and i'm meeting people. unlike the bargain brand, depend fit-flex underwear is more flexible to move with you. reconnect with the life you've been missing. get a free sample at depend.com. enjoy your phone! you too. (inner monologue) all right, be cool. you got the amazing new iphone 7 on the house by switching to at&t... what??.... aand you got unlimited data because you have directv?? okay, just a few more steps... door! it's cool get the iphone 7 on us and unlimited data
12:00 am
z26rmz zy6z
12:01 am
z26saz zy6z y26say yy6y ? ? ? ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: welcome back, everybody. it is now my honor to welcome
12:02 am
first lady of the united states, michelle obama. ? this is for my girls all around the world ? this is for my girls ? ( applause ) ? ? ? ( applause ) ( cheers ) >> yeah! >> stephen: good to see you again. >> you, too. ( cheers )
12:03 am
thank you, guys. >> stephen: well, i have known a few people. i have known a few people in washington, d.c., and not all of them get that kind of reception when they go someplace. so, you're almost done with the eight years in the white house. >> yes. almost-- we're almost out of there! >> stephen: how does that feel? is it at all bittersweet? >> yeah. >> stephen: or you're like, "where's the exit?" >> it's definitely bittersweet. i mean, everything i l last, you know? and i find myself choking up because we have raised our kids in the white house. we've had so many amazing experiences. we have a phenomenal staff. we live in a house with people who love us and care about us. and, you know, we're going to be walking away from all that and it's just been an honor. >> stephen: have you had to say to the kids like, "be prepared. the next house is not going to be like this." ( laughter ) >> oh, yeah.
12:04 am
it's like, get this done. well, you know, i mean. >> stephen: you don't upon to keep it to the last minute. >> my thing is if you don't pack it, i'm throwing it out. that's what i do. >> stephen: then it ends up on ebay. >> then it's on ebay, i sell it. you know. >> stephen: well, the most important question i have to ask you is, what is beyonce really like? ( laughter ) ( applause ) she's-- she's so talented that i have trouble looking at her without my retinas burning out. you guct >> you shouldn't look her in the eye. she's a special person. >> stephen: what's it like to be beyonce's beyonce? because she looks up to you. >> she's a sweetheart. i mean, she's smart, she's creative. she's a great mother. she loves her family. she's a-- you know, she's just a low-key lady. so we have a lot in common in that way. except i can't sing. i can't dance. ( laughter ) >> stephen: you can dance. i've seen you dance. >> not like beyonce. >> stephen: all right.
12:05 am
this is a beautiful-- ( applause ) talking about your eight years in there. but i need to talk to you about this picture, which, when it was released, burned the internet to ground, right there. ( applause ) what-- >> that's me and my boo. >> stephen: you know, we liked you already. you didn't have to release this photograph. other there? how did this moment come about? >> you know, barack is horrible in photo shoots, because-- and i hate doing photo shoots with him, so i'm sure right there i was saying, "would you just be patient," and, "stop. don't rush the photographer." he's like, "i think we got the shot. can i go, can i go?" "no, you can't go." that was exactly-- barack has two smiles for a photo. it's like this smile or this smile. ( laughter )
12:06 am
we have it." and it's like, "no, we didn't. these photographers they have been setting up for hours." he comes in and says, "i think i can give you five minutes." so i was trying to convince him to just chill out and relax, so they caught that discussion. ( laughter ) >> stephen: that's what's happening right there? >> chill out. chill out. >> stephen: "please, please, just one more photograph." >> and he's like, "really?" >> stephen: who is it harder to get to stand for a photograph, your husband or your children? >> oh, my husband, without a doubt. i mean, well-- yeah, him. he's tough. i thought you were going to say him or bo and sonny. >> stephen: well? >> him. ( laughter ) >> stephen: now, that smile, that was a pretty good impression of your husband. do you do an impression of your husband? >> we all three of us have good impressions of barack. >> stephen: would you mind sharing a little bit? >> well, it's usually at the dinner table because you know-- malia will start it because she usually asks the serious question.
12:07 am
on global warming?" and sasha and i are like, " oh god, no, don't get him started." and he's like, "well, i'm glad-- i'm glad you asked that. let me just-- let me just answer that in three points. one--" and then one-"a," and one-"a" and "b." and sasha and i are like, "oh!" >> stephen: you're like, professor, can i audit this lecture? >> that's gh about our favorite song on the "lemonade" album. that's what we want to talk about. ( cheers and applause ) he doesn't want to go there >> stephen: is there-- i heard you say about the president that he leaves the job at the door when he comes into the residential part of the white house. >> he does. >> stephen: is that really true? because i can't leave my job at the door. how does he leave that at the door? >> you know, at least our time together. when he first walks in, we have dinner. it's usually dinner time. so that's the time when unless
12:08 am
it's all about the kids, you know. "how were your days? what's going on? what's the latest gossip?" he's really into gossip, so you can get him-- because he doesn't have a life. ( laughter ) >> stephen: no, but he's got the n.s.a., and he can find out what any of us are thinking. ( laughter ) ( applause ) so, being the first lady, being the first lady, obviously, is a lot of responsibility. it's a great honor at the same time. do you have any first lady-- when you look back on the last eight years-- do you have any first lady faux pas, like "oh, i can't believe that moment?" >> god, so many of them. they usually involve pronouncing somebody's name wrong. i'm so horrible. >> stephen: because you go all around the world. >> oh, god, names are so hard. and i practice and i try to get- - and then i get up there and i mess it up. even names here in the united states. i mean, kids these days, their names.
12:09 am
i'm looking at the name card, and it's like, no, it's not terry, it's ter-ree. and it's just like, oh man. i'm usually just like, "hey, sweetie, how are you doing?" i just have given up on that. >> stephen: it's colbert, you don't pronounce the "t." >> yeah, and it's not steve. it's stephen, right? >> stephen: that's exactly right. thank you for remembering. >> i remember that, i remember. >> stephen: that's very nice of you. >> because you're pretty touchy about that. ( laughter ) >> stephen: was there like-- can you have an "oh, my god moment. i can't believe this is happening. this fun thing that i got to do." >> there are so many. sleepover at buckingham palace. >> stephen: what? >> yeah, what? >> stephen: did you and the queen paint each other's toenails or anything like that? >> no, when they hosted us for the state dinner. when you're the guest country you stay at buckingham palace. i do remember ordering french fries at the palace. they were good. they were some good fries at the palace.
12:10 am
>> yes, we have everything at the white house. do you think -- >> stephen: i didn't know you'd allow them. miss organic vegetables. >> hey, hey, not every day. but you know. i love french fries. i am a big french fry fanatic. that's why i have to eat vegetables because-- >> just to balance it out. >> to balance it out, for sure. it would get ugly. >> stephen: you said to oprah-- my good friend oprah. please say hi. >> i will. i want to get this right-- you called him swagga-licious. >> i did. >> stephen: how is swagga- liciousness achieved? >> it's a person that has a lot of swag. and if you don't know what swag is, steve, you definitely don't have it. ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: i think-- i think it's time to go to a commercial. i'll work on my swag. we'll be right back with more first lady michelle obama. ? ? ?
12:11 am
? ? is that coffee? yea, it's nespresso. i want in. ? ? you're ready. ? ? get ready to experience a cup above. is that coffee? nespresso. what else? when cold and flu hold you back try theraflu expressmax, now in new caplets. it's the only cold & flu caplet that has a maximum strength formula with a unique warming sensation you instantly feel. theraflu. for a powerful comeback.
12:12 am
? for me? oh my... (gasps) what is it? it's samsung gear vr. you put it in there... ohhh... (gasps) (laughs) this is crazy! oh my gosh! (screams) wow. (sighs) (laughter) you've gotta try this. ? ok! impaciente! manolo!
12:13 am
no hey...it's, it's dry... your scalp? mine gets dry in the winter too. try head and shoulders' dry scalp care it nourishes the scalp 3 surface layers deep to help... ...prevent dryness and keeps you up to 100% flake free now we can cuddle the whole winter! head and shoulders' dry scalp care olive garden fills your holidays with new flavorfilled pairings freshly filled pastas bursting with indulgent flavors perfectly paired with irresistible chicken, shrimp or steak avorite things come together at the holidays,
12:14 am
ike me, ? ? never drop to your knees, ? ? look into the skymenty hig? ? you never even tried till it's time to say goodbye, bye ?
12:15 am
? ? ? ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: welcome back, everybody. we're here with first lady michelle obama. the campaign is going on right now. we've got the two candidates out there who have their own agendas and their spouses have to sort of go along with whatever this person is doing. do you have any sympathy for the peopho stand by the person running for president? >> uh, no, not really. >> stephen: no? >> no, because if-- you know, you have to be, you know, in it. if you're in it, and if you don't agree, you should have agreed before they ran, you know? bottom line is, if i didn't agree with what barack was saying, i would not support his run. so i stand there proudly, and i hope they are, too, standing
12:16 am
>> stephen: but the things they have to go through. for instance, melania trump was criticized for using what turned out to be a portion of your speech. ( cheers and applause ) but, do you have any sympathy, because there are people around her creating things. and, you know, i have some sympathy for her. do you understand how that might be sympathetic for what happened to her? >> yeah, that was tough. ( laughter ) ( applause ) >> stephen: all right, let's move on. let's move on. all right. let's talk about "let girls learn." so 62 million young women around the world do not have access to quality education. what is "let girls learn" doing to try to improve that situation? because that's a huge problem. >> it's huge. part of it is bringing awareness to the issue. not just internationally, but here at home as well. and we've done a lot in a year and a half to galvanize resources, expertise.
12:17 am
millions of additional resources. we've partnered with japan and the u.k. to increase investments in girls' education. the world bank group is investing over $1 billion in girls' education. ( applause ) >> stephen: some of these-- some of the reasons-- i assume-- and you can correct me if i'm wrong- - i assume some of the reasons is that there are sort of cultural obstacles to girls being valued as educated members of society. effectively change those cultural obstacles, rather than just providing the opportunity, how do you make sure those opportunities are taken advantage of in countries that may not ordinarily offer them? >> that's what we're working on. and we know that we have to be on the ground. because you can't change culture if you're not a part of the culture. and the peace corps has played an important role. we have peace corps volunteers that are working on "let girls learn" initiatives on the ground, where there in a community, in a village, for up
12:18 am
understanding the cultural issues, developing leadership training programs for not just the girls but for their parents. so you have to take each community where they are. there's no one solution to that. with this problem, which is what makes it so complicated-- every community is different. so awareness and engagement is critical. but we're grateful to the peace corps volunteers out there doing the hard work on the ground. ( applause ) >> stephen: i understand, right here in the audience-- and, jim, if we could get a shot of this-- there are some young ladies in the front row here. >> yes. >> stephen: who are actually-- have been part of this program from malawi, jordan, pakistan. ( applause ) ( cheers ) >> they-- they spoke so eloquently. they told their stories at an
12:19 am
yesterday here. >> stephen: absolutely beautiful event here in new york city. >> on broadway. to help raise awareness. we held it for the spouses of the world leaders for the u.n. general assembly. it was a mixture of stories and, you know, inspiration from these girls, and empowering music from some of the top broadway stars. and we had this handsome young man here helping us keep it all together. and i'm so grateful for your support, not just yesterday, but that you don't just speak out on. you don't just make us laugh. but you know about these issues, and you care about them. and that's why i like you. >> stephen: thank you very much. it was an honor to be invited. thank you very much. there's a documentary, there's a documentary that cnn is going to have on called: "we will rise" a cnn film that followed you on a trip to liberia. >> marrakesh and madrid. >> stephen: and we have a clip right here.
12:20 am
>> you're important in your own right. people want and need to value you because of who you are because of your story, because of your challenges. that's what makes you unique, you know? you want to be different. you want to be special. the fact that you've been able to overcome challenges-- and this is what i always thought-- that made me smarter. that made me better, right? because i could overcome things that a lot of people who were in the same position never had to overcome. >> yeah. ( applause ) >> stephen: well, thank you so much for being here. it's always an honor to talk to you. and i hope we have the chance to have you back again once you leave the white house, because i know that you and your husband will not stop trying to make a change in the world. >> no, absolutely. >> stephen: thank you so much. >> thank you, stephen. >> stephen: "we will rise: michelle obama's mission to educate girls around the world" premieres october 11 on cnn. to find out how you can help support girls' education, go to
12:21 am
we'll be right back with america ferrera. ? ? ? ( applause ) ? ? hi. how can i help? ? ? i'm hall of famer jerry west and my life is basketball. but that doesn't stop my afib from leaving me at a higher risk of stroke. that'd be devastating. i took warfarin for over 15 years until i learned more about once-daily xarelto...
12:22 am
xarelto? significantly lowers the risk of stroke in people with afib not caused by a heart valve problem. it has similar effectiveness to warfarin. warfarin interferes with vitamin k and at least six blood clotting factors. xarelto? is selective targeting one critical factor of your body's natural clotting function. for people with afib currently well managed on warfarin, there is limited information on how xarelto and warfarin compare in reducing the risk of stroke. like all blood thinners, don't stop taking xarelto without talking to your doctor, while taking you may bruise more easily, and it may take longer for bleeding to stop. xarelto may increase your risk of bleeding if you take certain medicines. xarelto can cause serious, and in rare cases fatal bleeding. get help right away for unexpected bleeding, unusual bruising or tingling. if you have had spinal anesthesia while on xarelto watch for back pain or any nerve or muscle related signs or symptoms. do not take xarelto if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. tell your doctor before all planned medical
12:23 am
tell your doctor about any conditions, such as kidney, liver or bleeding problems. to help protect yourself from a stroke, ask your doctor about xarelto. there's more to know.
12:24 am
to feel this special... you need to eat this special. ? ? i love it ? start your day with crunchy whole-grain flakes... and real strawberries. special k. eat special. feel special. ? ? ?
12:25 am
12:26 am
12:27 am
n. ? ? lend him a helping hand. ? ? put a little love in your heart. ? ? take a good look around... ? ? ...and if you're lookin' down, ? ? put a little love in your heart. ? ?puliour heart.? ? in your heart. ? (avo) the subaru share the love event is happening now and will have given ninety million dollars
12:28 am
? ? ? ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: hey, everybody. welcome back. you know my next guest from "the sisterhood of the traveling pants," "ugly betty" and the democratic national convention. she now stars in the comedy, "superstore." please welcome back america ferrera! ? ? ? ( applause ) ? ? ? >> hello! >> stephen: welcome back. nice to see you again. >> good to see you, too >> stephen: the last time we were together you and i ate some horrible sandwiches together. >> that's right. >> stephen: our childhood food that we made for ourselves because we were latch key kids. >> very unhealthy. >> stephen: yeah. i had mayonnaise on white bread with sugar. >> yes, and i had white bread
12:29 am
>> stephen: yeah. both war crimes, technically. but now you're super healthy. because i understand-- i have a picture here you can explain to me. you ran a triathlon this weekend? >> yeah. >> stephen: so what does that mean? ( cheers and applause ) what-- what does that constitute? what are the parts of it? >> that means you swim a mile in the ocean. >> stephen: where? >> in the ocean. >> stephen: but where ocean? which ocean? >> the pacific ocean. >> stephen, i spent a long time trying to pretend like sharks didn't exist. >> stephen: sharks do exist. sharks are out there. >> i know. but i just told myself they don't. like climate change, right? you just say it doesn't exist and it doesn't. >> stephen: okay, so one mile in the ocean. >> one mile in the ocean, 25 miles biking and then a 10 "k" run, so that's 6.2 miles. >> stephen: i don't-- see, i don't have the stick-to-it- iveness to do that.
12:30 am
in high school i was on track and field but mainly just to spend time with my best friend and i did the one thing that didn't require running. i did shotput. >> stephen: wait a second, you did shot put? >> i did shot put in high school. >> stephen: did you used to weigh like, 240? how do you-- you're too small to do shot put. >> i wasn't very good. i don't think i ever competed. i just wanted to be there to see my best friend and talk. >> stephen: well, this is a photo, this is-- you sent this out here, that is you finishing the triathlon, and then you going to the emmys the next night? >> the same night. that's the same night. that's the night-before party. so the night of the triathlon i had to get dressed up but i kept my triathlon numbers on because they were so bad-ass. ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: so basically you showered and went to the emmys? >> i showered and went to an after-party and the next day we went to the emmys, yes. >> stephen: all right, wow. >> and that's my husband. he's very cute. >> stephen: he is very cute. so are you.
12:31 am
stick-to-it-iveness to do this. are you like a dedicated person? are you a hard worker? >> i'm a hard worker, yeah. >> stephen: what was your first job? >> well, my very first job i got hired by my next door neighbor to clean after her pet pig. >> stephen: a pet pig. not like a farm pig. >> it was in a house, the pig lived in the house. >> stephen: i didn't know you could have a pig live in your house. >> i don't know if it was legal. i'm just saying it happened. i don't know if it was legal for her to hire a nine-year-old to clean after the pig either. but i did it. >> stephen: wow, that sounds like rough work. >> yeah, but i needed that cash, yo. >> stephen: no, i know. >> i had to pay for the corn flakes and the sugar. >> stephen: somebody's got to. did you have a chance to say hello to the first lady? >> i did. it was very exciting. >> stephen: she's very nice, isn't she? >> she's amazing. she's incredible. i'm so grateful that we have her voice and her sanity in this time. ( applause ) ( cheers ) yeah. >> stephen: one of the things
12:32 am
camera, but she was saying that the idea of asking a young woman, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" should not stop once you grow up. people should be continually asked, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" >> i agree with that. >> stephen: so what do you want to be when you grow up, america ferrera? >> i want to be kinder. >> stephen: that's nice. are you a jerk now? ( laughter ) >> i mean, i want to work towards being a kinder, more compassionate, more understanding person. >> sen >> yeah. and i also think, too, i heard a really interesting thing, that instead of asking kids, "what document to be when you grow up?" you can ask them, "what do you have to contribute when you grow up?" and i thought that was a really special way of looking at it. >> stephen: well, that's nice. ( applause ) >> yeah, yeah. >> stephen: what part am i going to play in society? >> yeah, what do i have to contribute? what do i have to give, to leave the world just a little bit better. >> stephen: the first time you were here you were here for "superstore." >> yes. >> stephen: and it's been picked
12:33 am
>> stephen: congratulations on that. ( applause ) you said-- i understand you said-- i understand you said this is the first time that you have been cast in a part that wasn't specifically written for a latina. >> yeah. >> stephen: what do you mean by that? >> it means it was the first time i was asked to do a role that wasn't specifically written for a latina. ( laughter ) >> stephen: jimmy, jimmy, let's cut that question out of the interview, please. >> it means that every other role that i had been offered had been specified. anna, latina, 20-something. you know? carmen, latina. this was the first time i read a script that said, amy, 30, no ethnicity. and that seems like not that big of a deal. but, in television and film, if the ethnicity isn't specified then the assumption and default in most cases is white.
12:34 am
other than that. and so for our writers to write this world and to write not just my character but all the characters just as people and not specify their ethnicity. but then go out and cast the best person for the role who happened to be latino, black, asian, that felt really unique in this industry, and unique in the world-- ( applause ) to be seen as a person before you're seen as, you know, the color of your skin. >> stephen: america, thank you so much for being here. it's always nice to see you. ( cheers and applause ) catch "superstore" on nbc. america ferrera, everybody! we'll be right back. ? ? ? ( applause ) first there is shaving. blades. sharp and precise. then gillette shielding. comfy lubrication before and after. and also cooling. oooh. i got goosebumps. gillette proshield chill
12:35 am
proshield chill from gillette. the best a man can get. proshield.
12:36 am
12:37 am
( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: well, that's it for the "late show." ? ? ? good night! captioning sponsored by cbs captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org ? are you ready to have some fun ? feel the love tonight don't you worry 'bout ? where you come from it's gonna be all right ? it's the late, late show >> ladies and gentlemen, all the

9 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on