Skip to main content

tv   Face the Nation  CBS  January 18, 2015 10:30am-11:31am EST

10:30 am
>> i am bob schieffer, today on "face the nation" world leaders brace for another terrorist attack, and here at home, campaign 2016 is underway. >> around the world, the fallout from the paris attacks continues. violent protests broke out in the mideast over the new charlie hebdo depiction of the prophet mohammed and european countries remain on edge after its meeting with president obama, british prime minister david cameron minced no words about the attack. >> we believe an attack is very likely. >> we will hear from senator marco rubio on that and his book american dreams, white house senior advisor dan phfieffer previews the president's plan to raise taxes on the rich, and we will have the surprising results on the cbs news poll on who
10:31 am
america wants to run for president. plus analysis on all of the above because this is "face the captioning sponsored by cbs >> good morning, we begin this morning with the continuing fallout from the murderous attack on the french satirical hebdo. >> violent protests have broken out in pakistan, algeria yemen and niger where at least ten people are dead. >> security in western europe remains high in washington, just after his white house meeting with president obama to talk about all of this, british prime minister david cameron sat down with us at blair house and we asked if the terrorist threat now is greater than ever. >> in britain's history we have had some very intense times of terrorist threats, so i wouldn't want to try and scale it in that way, but certainly we face a very severe threat, that is what we are calling it, severe because we believe an attack is highly likely, but frankly we
10:32 am
have been in this struggle against extremist islamist, terrorism now for well over a decade and a half, so we know what it takes to win, it is going to take a lot of perseverance. >> have we entered a new phase here? is that what this attack in paris is signaling? >> the threat keeps morphing because it is the same fundamental problem extremist islamist terror, the threat has changed and altered but still based on the fundamental problem of a poisonous death cult narrative which is the per version of one of the world's major religions and that is the thing we are up against. >> the french president says we are at war. do you call this a war? >> it has many similar aspects but my way of expressing this, this is just a huge challenge our society faces, what i don't want to do is try and posit that there is some class some clash of civilizations going on because that is what the
10:33 am
terrorists want. they want this to be seen as a war between what they see is the true islam and the rest and that is not the case. what these terrorists represent is the perversion of a major religion and not its true adherents, they are fanatics who attach themselves to a death cult so we don't want to help them in their narrative by saying it is a war of us against them, what it is is a bunch of people who got completely the wrong ideas who are challenging our society, way of life and we have to take them on with everything we have got. >> do you leave washington feeling that we have a coordinated, a coherent strategy to fight these people? >> i believe that we do. i think the reason some people are concerned about this strategy is that perhaps we haven't said enough about how long it is going to take to work. if we take the issue of islamist extremist terrorism coming out of iraq and syria it is going to take a very long time to deal
10:34 am
with this, we will have to say perseverance, we can't do this on our own as western countries we need functioning governments in iraq, functioning government in syria to be the legitimate authorities that with us stamp out this perversion of the islamic religion. >> do you think that the fact that a lot of the west sort of stood back for a while in the early stages of the syrian war may have set the stage for what we are seeing now? >> well, i would put it a straight slightly different way which i do think that two of the greatest recruiting sergeants for isil in iraq and syria, one was the fact that there was a very sectarian government in iraq, it was only looking after some of the people and obviously in syria, you had a brutal, you still have a brutal regime that has murdered maimed and bombed so many citizens what i say is the what the west now has to do is make sure we are doing what we can to support the legitimate syrian opposition, an opposition
10:35 am
that should be able to represent all of the syrian people and in that way we can undermine both assad and that which isil depends. >> how is it these people are able to motivate these young people, young people in britain young people in france, in the united states? what is the appeal here? >> well, i think they are trying to appeal on the basis of a perversion of the religion of islam saying that there is a struggle against one they would say, islamic path, i don't believe it is islamic but that's what they are saying, one islamic path against the rest of islam and against the rest of the world, and they are attracting people saying they are providing the true path and it is a clash of ci and an epic struggle that people should take part in that we have to demonstrate, this is wrong it is a perversion, that it leads to terrorism death and division, we also have got to demonstrate our values, the things we stand for and care about in our societies of
10:36 am
democracy and free speech and rights and ability to have peaceful and progressive societies, that those things are stronger. i think we will be successful because we have history, we have morality we have the right on our side. >> the pope said freedom of speech has limits, especially in regard to religion, that we shouldn't make fun of other people's religions. how do we find the right balance here? >> i think in a free society there is a right to the cause offense about someone's religion. i am a christian and someone says something offensive about jesus i might find that offensive but in a free society i don't have a right to sort of week my vengeance on them, we have 0 accept newspapers magazines can publish things that are offensive to some as long as it is within the law. that's what we should defend, my politicians is not to tell the newspaper what to publish or not to publish. my job is to uphold the law that they can publish things that are within the law. >> how do you feel about
10:37 am
relations with the united states? you go home feeling better about it or -- >> i go home feeling that there is an incredibly strong and lasting and personal partnership between our two countries and it is based on the fact that we see the world's challenges in the same way and we want to work together to solve them. i believe it is helped by the fact that i have a very strong relationship with president obama and i admire his leadership and his reasonable approach in dealing with all of these issues but frankly, whether it was margaret thatcher or ronald reagan or whether it was roosevelt, different relationships have been forged but the underlying strength of this partnership is therefore reasons of not just history but reasons of values. >> and that matters as much to the future as the past. you do seem to get along quite well how did this relationship develop, do you think? >> well, i got to know him a little bit when he was running run for
10:38 am
the presidency and i think we started up a good relationship them then and we have had a lot of time, either visits to each other countries or summits or challenges we have been addressing and frankly quite a lot that has happened on our watch, to get afghanistan right and draw down our troops get our economies to grow and dealing with our deficits, we have this huge challenge of islamic extremism. we have been thrown together in a lot of different situations and we don't always agree but what i find is that he has a very calm and reasonable, rational sensible levelheaded way of trying to address these great challenges, and it has been a pleasure to work with him. >> schieffer: you say he calls you bro. what do you call him? >> well formally barack and david but there have been some other things thrown around and bro is one of them and i took that in gourd heart. >> you don't have a special nickname for him? >> i don't no, if i did i probably wouldn't tell you. >> all right. thank you very much. >> thank you.
10:39 am
>> thank you prime minister. >> and we turn now to florida republican senator marco rubio, a member of the intelligence committee and also one of many republicans thinking of running for president senator, thank you for joining us. prime minister cameron is obviously worried about more terrorist attacks. do you believe the danger is increasing, there will be another attack on this country in. >> i do, and i think in addition to the traditional risk of trivial, which is what we experienced in 9/11, people from the middle east coming to the u.s., hijacking an airplane crashing it into a building, admission to that sort of threat which remains real there is also the threat of home grown violent extremism which we have been warning about for a couple of years and what made it more interesting of course and more dangerous is in fact some of these individuals that are plotting these attacks may not even have traveled to the middle east, they have been radicalized in the local mosque or online and they have received instructions and/or inspiration about how to carry out these attacks in the west from online platforms so i think that is a
10:40 am
very real risk for europe which is closer to the middle east and has large immigrant populations from that region. it is a real risk here in the united states, a country where every single year millions of people visit and travel and immigrate to. >> are you satisfied the government is doing everything that should be done right now? >> well, we need to do more and part of that is this debate we will have about our intelligence gathering capability, you know, there are people in washington who believe our programs go too far and i am certainly sensitive to privacy expectations and of course privacy rights, but the flip side of it and i always warned about this is there are people today, including in our own country who are actively plotting to carry out attacks just this week one of them was arrested, and they don't need a wide web of conspirators, one or two people, sometimes a person on their own can do this and we need the capability to identify them, even with all of that i believe the chances are eventually someone will get through the cracks and be able to carry out an attack, but as you saw in boston a year ago but we -- it is a real threat we need to do more because this new threat is growing. >> on a related issue, the
10:41 am
president made it very clear on friday that he will veto any bill that congress might send him that puts new sanctions on iran. he says that would derail our efforts to get an agreement with them on limiting their nuclear capability. we know that some republicans are very actively pushing that. where do you come down on that? >> well, i believe we need additional sanctions. i believe any deal with iran requires congressional approval and i hope it will move quickly in the new congress to pass both of those. look, the only reason iran is even at the table is because of existing sanctions and even with negotiations that are going on now i am really, they are really not going to bear fruit and i hope i wake up one morning and believe the supreme leader in iran is a normal person but he has a radical view of the theology and he is calling the shots in iran and he want a nuclear weapon or a nuclear weapons capability and these negotiations for them are nothing but an effort to buy time to gain some sanctions relief but not give up any
10:42 am
irreversible concessions on the part of the iranian government i am not optimistic these talks will lead anywhere anyway and need to place sanctions that kick in when the talks fail. >> we also are learning that in his state of the union address the president is going to propose, i am told, $320 billion in new taxes on the wealthy also 235 billion in new spending, some of that will go to his proposal to offer a plea community college education to everyone. your take on that? >> well, i actually came out with a book this weak called american dreams than that book i talk about this. this is a 20th century outdated model the president is following. the motion first of all that in order for some people to do better someone has to do worse it is just not true, raising taxes on people that have, are successful is not going to make people who are struggling more successful. the good news about free enterprise is that everyone can succeed without punishing anyone it also would be counterproductive here is my bigger point, i am all for
10:43 am
reforming our higher education system, in the 21st century, to have the skills you need for a middle class job you need higher education of some form or fashion, it may not be a four-year degree, the problem is he just wants to pour additional money into the broken existing system which a lot of people graduate with aa degrees that don't lead to anything but another four-year degree that may not lead to a job what we need to do is create competition with alternate methods where people can acquire certification programs that take less than two years and get you to work right away as a welder, electrician airplane mechanic, i wish he would spend more time on that an less time trying to raise taxes and pour money into an outdated model which no longer works in the 21st century. >> schieffer: while you were out this week talking about your new book which is what prospective candidates often do when they are getting ready to run for president, what do you think is going to be the overriding issue in the next presidential election, if you decide to run? >> i think there are two major issues, the first, of course,
10:44 am
deals with the number one priority of the united states federal government and that is our national security. at a time when we are facing threats from rising powers like china who want to rewrite the global order, like russia who wants to ignore the global order, like rogue states like iran and north korea who wants nuclear weapons and islamic extremists what about a global order who everyone lives under the flag of global islam we need a commander in chief that understands the nature of the threat and real ideas about how to dress address it, the second thing is we have had a radical transformation of our economy this 21st century economy looks dramatically different like theth, than the 20th shirt, we immediate new modern policies to give everyone an equal opportunity to succeed and i believe the next president of the united states needs to be someone that understands the 21st century and has ideas about how to take advantage of the opportunities of this new century so everyone can make it to the middle class and beyond. >> cbs gnaws has a new poll out
10:45 am
this week. we ask respond tents, republicans and democrats we ask those in each party who they would like to see run for president. mitt romney tops the list, 59 percent of republicans say he should run. he has is followed closely by jeb bush and along come others. we will just roll down the list here. you are kind of in the middle of the pack. one of the thing the polls says is more than half the people say they just need to know more about you. >> yes. >> schieffer: how do you fix that? let me ask you first, are you surprised that romney is at the top of this list? >> no. but first of all polls like this at this stage of an election are really nothing but a reflection of name recognition, those who have run for president or family members as president are doing well in a poll like that, but the bigger point is the one you raise look preseason polls in college
10:46 am
football doesn't matter anymore what matters is who wins the final for a championship game now that they have a play-off system and that's going 0 to be the same here when running for president if i decide to run for president and very seriously thinking about it because of where our country is today, i am going to go out and run a campaign where i will explain to people, not only do i understand the national security threats that we face, but that i believe that we need to turn the became and fully embrace all of the opportunities and the challenges of a new century and i believe that once we do that, a growing number of people will become convinced if i have unthat we should be the person that they nominate, but i haven't made that decision yet but no matter what that's who our nominee needs to be, someone who understands the 21st century and ideas relevant to our new era. >> senator rubio, thank you for joining us. >> thank you. >> schieffer: and we will be back in one minute. >>
10:47 am
10:48 am
>> schieffer: and we are back now from the white house seniorr dan phfieffer who has been with barack obama, you are among the very first, even back in the campaign. and you have been with him ever since. let's just start with what the president and the white house said overnight. the president is going to announce a plan in the state of the union to raise $320 billion in new taxes on the wealthy. that is over ten years capital gains taxes are going up with this new revenue. he is going to do such things as provide free community college and so forth for people, new tax breaks for working families and increase childcare credit. i would just ask you this, mr. phfieffer, do you in any way, shape or form believe that a new republican congress is going to do what a congress who had democrats and republicans in control would not do? i mean, is this for real? do you really think there is a chance that something like this could pass?
10:49 am
>> well, i think this plan the president is going to talk about on tuesday night goes to what is the core theme, which is middle class economics and it is a simple proposition that now that the economy is in a stronger place than it has been in a very long time we need to deal with wage stagnation and dechining economic mobility so the simple proposition we should ask the wealthy to pay a little more and invest for in the middle class and give the middle class a raise. now there is evidence in our plan we are going to support in the past are higher education tax breaks manager very similar to what the republican house passed last year, the fee on large financial institutions is something very similar to what was included in a republican corporate tax reform plan last year by republican dave camp so again everything, we should have a debate in this country between middle class economics and trickle down economics and come to an agreement on the things we do agree on. >> schieffer: well regardless of the merits of the plan, do you he this congress would really consider this? i mean, marco rubio you heard his reaction, paul ryan, the
10:50 am
republican who is going to be the new chairman of the ways and means committee his folks have said it is not even serious. dwi es what i would ask you, are you laying this out because you think you have a chance to get it passed or just want to draw the contrast between republicans and democrats and paint republicans as being a party of the rich? >> i think in divided government each side should lay out their agenda, what they think is in thethe best interest of the country and then figure out if there are things in the middle we agree to, we look forward to the republicans laying out their agenda, they have a different philosophy of how the economy works but again there are ideas in the middle we may be able to agree on and make the case and a few years ago people would say we had no chance to get the republicans to agree to raise taxes on the very wealthy back to the levels they were under bill clinton and we succeeded in doing that so push unvery hard through the legislative proposals on this and executive actions we can help middle class families right now. >> raises taxes get the headline in any story what else can we expect from the president? >> you can expect the president to tell a story about where we
10:51 am
have come from the last six years, the tremendous progress we have made, the packet the economy is growing jobs are growing, deficit has been cut in two-thirds and lay out a plan in three parts about how to help the middle class and give you a lot of the details in advance to make it everyone easy but how to make paychecks go further right now trade create more good paying jobs right now and how to get people the skills to ghettos jobs things like employee community child and free community college. >> schieffer: not allowing track known terrorists is a problem, and what is he going to do to fix that? >> well, i think we have a number of steps we have to take. one is we have been working a long time as was referred to by senator rubio earlier to reform our surveillance laws we had successful effort passing it in the house and stalled in the senate and double down on that. this has been a debate that we have had in this country since 9/11 which is how we find the right balance between privacy and security, you can't have 100 percent of each, and so we are going to work with i have,
10:52 am
we are we are going to work with industry to do this in the right way. >> i want to ask you about something else, the white house conceded you should have sent a high level represent the if to paris for that rally last weekend, saw a leader from everywhere, but wayn't to ask you why i mean, did the staff crust miss this? >> well, it was -- >> >> did you miss the significance of it? >> as you know bob, it was not logistically feasible to move the united states all across the world on that notice, as josh ernest said we should have done we should have september someone of a higher profile, because that was the right thing to do and once we realized we made that mistake we took responsibility for it which is probably a rare thing in washington. >> schieffer: but is this sort of -- i mean it seems to me that the white house is always a little late in recognizing the significance of such things. i mean we saw that happen some times over the summer. what, did the staff let the president down? >> in this case i think we
10:53 am
should have done a better job and ensuring we come up with a higher profile and we took responsibility for that. i think, look, it is always important to get out there and play the appropriate role for the president. we try to do that every time and if we ever fall short we learn from that and do better next time. >> schieffer: dan phfieffer we wish you the best. >> thank you, bosh. >> schieffer: and we will be back in a moment with some personal thoughts. >> this portion of "face the nation" is sponsored by financial, changing the way you think of retirement. >>
10:54 am
[ julie ] the wrinkle cream graveyard. if it doesn't work fast... you're on to the next thing.li cnically proven neutrogena® rapid wrinkle repair. it targets fine lines and wrinkles with the fastest retinol formula available. you'll see younger lngooki skin in just one week. one week? this one's a keeper. rapid wrinkle repair. and for dark spots rapid tone repair. from neutrogena®.
10:55 am
>> schieffer: i am not a catholic and only god knows if i even qualify as a religious person but i like the new pope. he remind us that religion is about kindness, not imposing our will on others. so in the wake of the paris tragedy when he told us that free speech has limits and that we should not make fun of the religions of others, i listened. there is no stronger defender of the first amendment than me as a reporter i stand second to no one in defending the french magazine's right to print their satirical cartoons. certainly, though, they did not deserve to die. but defending the magazine's right to print the cartoons is different than approving the cartoons. long ago, our supreme court ruled free beach is not a license to put public safety at risk by shouting fire in a crowded theatre. and good case and sensitivity to the feelings of others dictates
10:56 am
self imposed limits on what we say every day that too is a principle of civilized society. i think what the pope was saying was there is a difference in having the right to do something and doing the right thing. i am glad he reminded us that too should be a part of this conversation. back in a minute.xci- >>
10:57 am
let me get this straight... [ female voice ] yes? lactaid® is 100% real milk? right. real milk. but it won't cause me discomfort. exactly, no discomfort because it's milk without the lactose. and it tastes? it's real milk! come on, would i lie about this? [ female announcer ] lactaid®. 100% real milk. no discomfort. and for more 100% real dairy treats you'll 100% enjoy look for lactaid® ice cream and lactaid® cottage cheese.
10:58 am
>> schieffer: some of our stations are leaving us now but to for most of you we will be right back with more "face the nation", including more of the cbs news 2016 poll, and we will have our political panel. so stick with us. >> washington is noisy. so let's quiet it down and get the facts on the keystone xl pipeline: the pipeline will move north america toward energy independence and reduce oil imports from hostile countries.
10:59 am
make us stronger. when a girl connects with a science mentor... her confidence grows. when schools connect with technology... a 5th grader's world opens up. and when a worker connects to online degrees... his opportunities multiply. the at&t aspire initiative. helping students and communities across america. washington is noisy. so let's quiet it down and get the facts on the keystone xl pipeline: us state department experts say the pipeline will produce fewer co2 emissions than other transport options.
11:00 am
>> schieffer: and welcome back to "face the nation", we are going to talk some more about these terror attacks and we are joined by cbs news senior national security contributor michael morell, formerly number 2 out at the cia. mike, you said something the other day on the evening news that really took me aback. you said that on the time of 9/11, al qaeda was in one place afghanistan. and you say today they are in 30 to 40 places. >> uh-huh. >> does that mean they are more powerful now than they were then? >> bob, you know, just to kind of scope this for people, in this fight we have had against al qaeda since 9/11, we have had very significant victory in that fight and so have they. our significant victory has been degradation, near deget of al qaeda in pakistan, those people that brought us 9/11 the capture and killing of bin
11:01 am
laden, their great victory has been the spread of their ideology across this huge geographic area in africa the middle east, europe, south asia that is where you get that 30 to 35 to 40 countries and these are groups that are actually associated with al qaedaable and these are individuals who buy into the ideology. >> schieffer: well this whole deal, you know, now these homegrown terrorists obviously we have entered in a different phase, but here in washington last week, where we saw a kid out in ohio, apparently had no connection to any of these pounce but was kind of trying to impress them, and so he is coming to washington with a whole bunch of ammunition and automatic weapons and was going to build pipe bombs to blow up the capitol, how do we deal with that? you know, we have had this problem for a long time. it is just to reiterate something that prime minister cameron said, we have the fort hood shootings. we have the boston bombings so
11:02 am
we have had radicalized americans conduct these attacks. i expect more. i think we are going to see a paris style attack here. we need to be prepared for that. it is a very difficult to deal, with right? we usually catch terrorists because they are communicating with each other and when you are self radicalized, right particularly a lone individual you probably are not communicating with somebody, it is very difficult to find you. >> what do we think about 150 americans that we know of in this country, we think who have been to syria? >> so sizing the problem here there have been a couple of hundred americans who have gone to syria or iraq to fight for one of the extremist groups there, either isis or alisra, i don't know how many have come back. >> between western europe the number isj9 between 2,500 and 5,000 people so western europe has a bigger problem but we also have, share that problem with western europe because those individuals can get on an aircraft and come to the united
11:03 am
states without a visa, so we have our own problem and we have to worry about western europeans coming here. >> do we think the danger now is greater than it was? >> i think you have to think about the danger from al qaeda as an organization, right? and the danger from them is less than it was on 9/11. now al qaeda can't conduct a 9/11 style attack today multiple simultaneous attacks that kill thousands. they don't have that capability. they do have the capability to conduct small attacks. but the lone individuals, right the lone individuals who might go out and do something that number is much larger than it ever has been before. >> what do we need to be doing we are not doing? prime minister cameron wants to give intelligence agencies greater leeway to hack into social media and encrypted media we know the media companies in the united states very much are against that, do we have to look at that? >> i think we have to look at a couple of things, one is we have 0 make sure that law enforcement
11:04 am
and intelligence has the resources that it needs, the dollars, the people, and the technology, and i think we have to look at some of the questions that get at, that bear on secrecy versus security, right? we have to look at that. the other thing we have to look at bob which i think is the bigger issue, how do we stop the production of terrorists? how do we deal with this message from the jihadists that is so attractive to young people in europe and some people in the united states? we have never really got at that. >> schieffer: what is it about this message that is attractive? it is not attractive to me. >> it is attractive to alienated youth, right? and there are more alienated youth in europe than there are in the united states. there are immigrants in europe that have never really fully integrated into european society. that is what -- it is individuals who feel that alienation who are open to this message that the west is trying to destroy islam come and fight for us to protect it .. >> all right mike morell,
11:05 am
always good to have you. we will be back to talk some politics in just a minute. >>
11:06 am
>> schieffer: we are back now with our all-star panel, we always have an all-star panel but these are our stars, stephanie cutter was top advisor to the president, both on his campaign and in the white house before that she was on the
11:07 am
carrie campaign,? he is now a democratic strategy gist, cnn contributor, mark halperin is the managing editor of bloomberg politics and we are joined by cbs news congressional correspondent, nancy cordes, and michael gerson washington post columnist, former member of the george w. bush administration. >> well, so let's start with mitt romney, he was telling everybody that he was not going to run again i said way back there, one thing i have gotten right lately and still right he is now thinking about running. now he is looking to jump back in. mark, what do you think, what changed his mind? >> it is a wide open field. he has a chance to get elected president and he doesn't want to give up the opportunity not because he lusts for power but because he thinks he would be the best president. he thinks increasingly as he did four years ago he has the best chance to beat the dependent nominee. i think a lot of reason he thinks he lost last time is it is hard to beat incumbent
11:08 am
president and last night nancy and i were both there he gave a message that was different than last time he talked about his mormon faith and empowerment agenda that sounds like jeb bush and paul ryan and would like to give it another try, he is not deferred by the bad press not deterred by the pundits or a few editorials, what he sees is the polls like the new cbs poll that shows more republicans and conservative hes would like him to run than anybody else, i think he will do it. >> all right and let's take a look at that poll again we talked about it a moment ago when when we talked to marco rubio, it shows that 59 percent of the republicans we surveyed want mitt romney to run again. right behind limb is jeb bush at about 50 percent, but nancy -- you were in san diego at this big republican gathering, what kind of reception did he get out? >> i think really from folks who say the more the merrier he should jump in, people really admire and respect mitt romney in this party especially after how hard he worked to get
11:09 am
elected in the midterms, and so, there is a lot of affection for him, on the other hand, there are many who peel that he has such a huge advantage in fund-raising at the end of the day may not be the best messenger if the argument the party wants to make going against hillary clinton is it is time for a new generation of leaders. >> mark was just saying he talked in speech out there about his mormon faith, he was telling me he didn't like to talk about very much the last go round, do you think he is, if he does run a different kind of campaign here. >> he certainly is signaling he wants to, my concern, i thinkf republicans is the things, the problems he has are not problems he can solve. he is not a particularly good candidate, as far as political skills. that is hard to solve. he also is a symbol or representative of stereotypes of the republican party. and i think a lot of republicans are saying, we have a serious problem with minorities, with women, without reach to younger voters, with working class
11:10 am
voters in particular in key states, if those are the questions then mitt romney is not the answer. >> the president was kind of funny on television friday. >> uh-huh. >> stephanie when somebody asked him what he thought of my mitt romney deciding and thinking of running again and he says i just have no comment. >> what is your comment? >> well, you know, let's remember after the 2012 campaign the republican national committee started what they called an autopsy to try to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it, that autopsy was as a result i don't have the campaign that mitt romney ran. and now you are talking about that person potentially becoming the nominee? i am certainly not going to discourage mitt romney from running but i think he has a real identity problem. you know, i remember him as governor, i am from massachusetts, he was my governor, he was a moderate, when he started running for president, he in his own definition became severely conservative. and now he is going to be the champion of the 47 percent that he disparaged the last time he ran for president. it is just not believable to
11:11 am
voters, and i think that is the problem, at this point that is just not fixable for him. >> what does jeb bush think about this, michael? >> well, i think there is a primary for establishment support, and jeb bush right now is setting the pace for that primary. he is forcing other people, romney, christie, in particular to ask and to react in this. he is running the best precampaign of all the campaign candidates. he has been transparent about his e-mails and tax material. he has been nimble. he used social media. he shows i am in this for real and forcing the rest of the field to react. and so i think that obviously it concerned romney enough that he made his hint that he was going to run at a meeting of major donors in new york in a park avenue apartment. which is not where you necessarily pick to make -- >> it may not be among the first
11:12 am
in a romney -- >> a serious challenge. >> and you mentioned chris christie, let me call up something else from this poll. 24 -- or 29 percent of republicans told us that they want the chris christie to run the, but 44 percent said they did not want him to run for president among independents, it is 22 percent who say he should run and 40 percent who say he should not run. i thought this was one of the most interesting things in the poll, as i have been calling republicans to react to the romney news, how to fix jeb bush, how to fix christie i have been struck by the number of serious experienced republican office holders and strategists say christie cannot be the nominee. i think they are understating his potential but real skepticism, his camp knows that but they see a possibility if you have got an old name in romney, old name in bush christie can say i am an establishment person who can raise big money, beat hillary clinton who is a new name, relatively fresh face. i do think jeb bush is underrated i think michael is
11:13 am
exactly right he is running the best campaign and not by being visible he is not on your ram but i think right now with, whether romney runs or not, whether christie is stronger than those numbers suggest, i think jeb bush is a bigger favor than this nomination than most people think. >> what did you learn in san diego. >> i think what people feel chris hardwick situate is saying, not a rush is his best strategy because when you going up against jeb bush and now maybe mitt romney who have been out of office for seven, eight nine years, the best thing to do is remind people, i am a governor right now, i am aleader right now, i am taking care of business, i have recent accomplishments and so for chris christie, for scott walker folks who tonight have as much name recognition right now as maybe a mitt romney, in fact, in that poll you talked about guess who else is at the top of the list? mike huckabee, sarah palin, these are people people have seen -- >> huckabee 40 percent and palin at 30 percent. >> right. and that is going to change but for right now, at this early stage when voters think about who they want to run they think
11:14 am
about who is run in the past and who they know. >> so a lot of this poll may simply be name recognition. >> absolutely, absolutely. >> and i think that is a big part of what we are seeing and for jeb bush, lots of name recognition because his name is bush but there isn't a lot of knowledge about what jeb bush stands for, what he believes in, what he wants to do as president and i think that is a real opportunity for him. and the way he is starting to put himself out there is very disciplined. >> one thing i look for on christie that is interesting he is going out to the iowa freedom summit on the 24th, very conservative and very conservative state and i would be interested to see how jersey phrase the cornfields of iowa, and that will be an interesting test for him. i do think huckabee got some good news in this poll. he could solidify the position as the candidate of the evangelical right. that is not enough to get the nomination but that is enough to be a serious player in iowa and other places and he has got some good news. >> you know, what i find interesting about the huckabee
11:15 am
campaign candidates always write a book or generally these days they always write a book before they run, the last time huckabee ran for president his book was about dieting and eating well. now what is the name of the book he has written this time? god, gray i have grits and something else? i mean. >> if you are going to try to bale to citizens and say you need to diet or go with gravy and grits, that will appeal to more people, people to aspire to eat gra i have fray i have and grits. >> schieffer: this is what we found in our poll. hillary clinton obviously no surprise here, leads the pack, 85 percent of democrats want her to run .. vice president bide, 40 percent biden want him to run but about the same number say, don't run. so what what happens stephanie if hillary clinton for some reason or the other doesn't wind up
11:16 am
being a candidate? >> well, i think that is very unlikely to happen, based on what we are seeing and hearing out there but what i think it means is you probably see some other people jumping in. >> schieffer: who are they? >> right now, there is governor -- the vice president, who despite those poll names i think would be a very good candidate but i think, you know, we don't know who those names are because hillary has been locking up the field since 2012, you know almost immediately talk of her running in 2016 started. and i think that is for a good reason given, you know, the number in your poll that shows the breadth of support in the democratic party i think is real. >> the clintons have been around for so long it is easy to say clinton sniders because you can refer to almost thousands of americans, i have been talking to people who are clinton sniders and long time supporters they are worried about jeb bush they are worried about her laying low while jeb bush is out
11:17 am
there being aggressive and they are worried if she stays without a mental, you can take today what jeb bush is going to go on and what states jeb bush could win that barack obama won last time she starts she needs to define herself and not let jeb bush get ahead of steam. >> the democrats have to hope serious people jump in the race and run against hillary clinton because right now there is so much energy on the republican side, people feel great about the field and it was told to me there is drama and intrigue that is good that gets people to pay attention to us, when john mccain sealed up the nomination early in 2008 that was bad for him and kind of sat around and wasn't the story for months while hillary clinton and barack obama duked it it it out and that really hurt him. >> i think it is interesting elizabeth warren who would probably be the most seriousallenge keeps saying no, but a lot of the party keeps wanting to hear maybe. so you have moveon.org, is she going to run an on-line petition two, hundred 50,000 names 32 trying to get her to run.
11:18 am
>> there is an anti-wall street element of the democratic party populist that is not particularly happy with hillary clinton that could be a space for someone to fill in that -- >> schieffer: well, i mean this announcement we got last night that the president is going to call in the state of union for a $320 billions in new taxes that right out of the elizabeth warren playbook. i am not saying he may not have announced it if she wasn't saying it but that is what she has been talking about. >> bob, he has been talking act that for many years since at the tail end of the financial crisis about how we need to make the tax code work better for working americans, and it is consistent with the deficit reduction teal he was working for, working with republicans every budget he has put forth, a rebalancing of the tax code some money is going into pockets of middle class families, that that that is not new to this president and while, you know, i watched her interview with dan pfeiffer about whether something like this is going to get passed, there are elements of this that republicans are going to find appealable, because they
11:19 am
know where the one is in terms of wanting that balance and solving the problems of economic inequality, and getting more mobility into our economy. so it will be interesting to see how republicans react to this. they have to be very careful as they look at 2016 they are not out there protecting those at the top one percent otherwise they will have the romney problems. >> you heard what i asked dan pfeiffer, did they announce this because they want it passed or paint the republicans as the party of the rich? >> they announced this because they know tax reform is mostly going to come up at the top of the paul ryan's agenda and they want to sort of lay down the marker. they want to be in on that negotiation. they nobody the republicans want to lower taxes for everyone, so, they are sort of staking out their territory now, they do not expect that congress is controlled entirely by republicans now, it is a great idea, let's raise taxes. >> this proposal is very well poll tested, right? there are things in here basically saying
11:20 am
tax banks and tax where the wealthiest people to pay for more college opportunity and pay for more, help working families and couples with kids that is going to be very popular and as dan pointed out and it is true some of the proposals are taken from republican proposals, the former chairman of the ways and means committee proposed a taxing wealthy financial institutions the president has a choice does he put that out there and have the political fight to tee up 2016 or work with republicans to say let's do tax reform, republicans are not going to raise the capital gains tax but they might go for the tax on financial institutions and might go for an expanded income tax credit. >> schieffer: let's talk about spring quarter, they say they will finally rule on gay marriage, the supreme court. what happens here? does this if they rule that it is okay to take this issue totally off the table in the next election? >> i think a lot most republicans in the field are lacking actively looking for ways not to talk about this
11:21 am
issue. the supreme court in june of this career would probably, june of this krer, for republicans at least the nonhuckabee wing of the party, it would probably be a good thing, essentially we are going to respect the law and it is a settled issue, but we are going to be concerned about religious liberty and free expression for religious institutions and we will complain about the overreach of courts, but there won't be a big debate on this issue, it is not abortion in the republican party. there are a lot of people who don't want to talk about this issue. >> i think it is going to be an issue no matter how the supreme court rules. you know, it doesn't take the issue off the table anymore than roe versus wade took it off the table and we are talking about this decades later and there are some republicans who don't want to talk about this on the campaign trail that are going to be forced to because -- >> i think the exact opposite it won't be an issue either way. >> you don't think it will be an issue? >> because public opinion moved so far whatever the court
11:22 am
rules, with the exception of rick santorum forum, mike huckabee and a few others republicans don't want to talk about it they will alienate younger generations, younger voters for a generation no matter how you feel about it morally and personally. >> the toughest thing to do is to predict what is going on with a supreme court. >> i think senator robertson will join in and legalize gay marriage. >> it is great to have plenty of you here and plenty to talk about and there will be more. and we will be right back. >> here's some news you may find
11:23 am
surprising. we're for an open internet for all. we're for creating more innovation and competition. we're for net neutrality protection. now, here's some news you may find even more surprising. we're comcast. the only isp legally bound by full net neutrality rules. comcast and time warner cable, together for more net neutrality protection.
11:24 am
na rrator: gas prices are down helping middle class families. but now, the white house wants to impose title ii regulations on your internet meaning new government taxes and fees. every month: more taxes and fees. 11 billion dollars a year in new taxes and fees. internet freedoms can be protected with the white house and congress working together, but imposing new tax increases through public utility style regulations will hurt middle class families let's protect the internet we love without regressive taxes and fees. no to title ii. >> schieffer: and this just in, we are hearing from the secret service that shots were fired last night outside the vice president's home in delaware. he was not at home at the time. there were no injuries. the secret service tells cbs news they are looking into the incident but a spokesman confirms that a car drove by and shots were fired. no word if this was random or
11:25 am
targeted. we will continue to monitor the story here at cbs news. and we will be right back. >>
11:26 am
11:27 am
when you've got something to share, you need upload speed. and only verizon fios gives you upload speeds... ...as fast as your download speeds. and the fastest wi-fi available from any provider. period. so join the millions who get the difference fios makes... ...and see how sweet it is. verizon fios. >> schieffer: well, that's it for us today. we hope you will join scott pelley and for are a o'donnell and me tuesday night at 9:00 p.m. eastern for our cbs news state of the union coverage. we will also have full coverage on cbsnews.com and on cbsn, our
11:28 am
live 24/7 streaming video news channel. thanks for watching. we will see you right here on "face the nation" next week. captioning sponsored by cbs captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org
11:29 am
make us stronger. when a girl connects with a science mentor... her confidence grows. when schools connect with technology... a 5th grader's world opens up. and when a worker connects to online degrees... his opportunities multiply. the at&t aspire initiative. helping students and communities across america.
11:30 am
brady, touchdown! 23 yards to the foul and for the first time in the game the patriots have the lead. >> and the patriots never gave up that lead going

106 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on