Skip to main content

tv   Face the Nation  CBS  February 5, 2017 10:30am-11:30am EST

10:30 am
captioning sponsored by cbs
10:31 am
role politics plays in football. >> finally our political panel will pick out what is important this week, and look ahead to next week. it is all coming up on "face the nation". >> dickerson: good morning and welcome to "face the nation", the i am john dickerson, we have a lot to get to so we will begin with vice president mike pence, mr. pence, mr. vice president. >> thank you for being us. >> let's start with the executive order on immigration. a federal judge has now blocked it, there has been criticism even from republicans who like the policy just don't like the rollout, is it time to start over? >> it is not time to start over at all. during the course of the campaign and since the outset of this administration, president trump has made it clear he is going to use his authority as president under the law to put the safety and security of the american people first, especially when it comes to protecting this country from the threat of radical islamic terrorism poos poses to our families and communities, the executive order is on a
10:32 am
constitutional and statutory foundation. one court in boston confirmed that, another court in washington came to a different decision but we are very confident that as we move through the process of these appeals that the president's authority in this area will be upheld and will continue to take such actions as are necessary to put the safety and security of the american people first. >> dickerson: let me ask you about that judge, the federal judge in washington. the president referred to him as a quote so-called judge. now the president can criticize anybody he wants. criticism is one thing, in this instance, the big distinction the president of the united states is calling into question the legitimacy of the judge and whether he has a legitimate role to make the decision he made. is it right for the president to question the legitimacy of this judge, not ruling, not the opinion, not the policy but the legitimacy. >> every president has a right to be critical of the other branches of the federal government, as you noted the simple fact is i think the
10:33 am
american people welcome the candor of this president and the president and the whole administration frankly are frustrated because the law could not be more clear here, john. not only his constitutional authority to conduct foreign policy for this country but clear statutory authority in federal law today gives the president the ability to determine who is given access to this country and who is not. and in this case, the president used a list the obama administration and the congress identified of seven countries compromise bid terrorism, it is within his authority to do it and it is just frustrating to see a federal judge in washington state conducting american foreign policy or making decisions about our national security. >> dickerson: but i want to go back to this word legitimacy because that is different than just having a difference of opinion and the reason i bring this up, and this president has been very sensitive to anyone who would question his legitimacy the last time you were here you and i talked about congressman john lewis questioning the president's
10:34 am
out of line to question the legitimacy of the president so why is it in line for a president to question the legitimacy of a judge and what a judge is doing? >> john, i don't think he was questioning the legitimacy of the judge. >> dickerson: he calls him a so called judge, how do you interpret that. >> as soon as the order came out the justice department fully complied wit and we went to the court to seek a stay, we are going to, the first of this week go to the court of appeals to not only get the stay but to win to be merits and we are confident we will win in the interests of the security of the american people. this is more -- this is more, i know, john this is more about the president simply expressing a frustration with a judge who is involving himself in the clear prerogatives of the president of the united states. >> dickerson: but when the president speaks my words matter and i guess the reason also is when i talked to the president, and he was just a candidate in february of 2016 he talked about president obama's executive order on immigration and he said this to me. quote the courts actually took the step and did something that was very surprising and they did
10:35 am
this court stepped in and stopped president obama's executive order on immigration, so it is good when they stop president obama how can it not be legitimate for them to step in and pause in this instance? >> well, i think it is a great comparison, john, it is a very fair one on your part. as usual. in that case, president obama was clearly taking action that was within the purview of the legislative branch, congress had not acted in that regard, so he attempted to use executive authority to implement laws the congress had not passed. the president's executive order that this -- that the judge in washington state, you know, issued in the order upending is fully consistent with statutory law that has been passed by the congress of the united states of america. >> dickerson: let me ask about that. >> so the comparison here i think is dramatic and consistent, and that's why we are very confident in the interest of the national security and the safety of the american people we are going to prevail in
10:36 am
i talked a lot to republicans this week again who are on your side on the policy, but they and people i talked to in the administration in addition to american allies, there is a lot of criticism of this executive order and the way it was carried out. any of this criticism valid? >> well, at the outset of an administration that is as busy, keeping our promises to the american people as this one, you know, what we will concede sometimes the usual washington niceties of informing members of congress were not fully implemented as they have been in the past, but i have to tell you, the american people i think are grateful to see there literally the day of the inauguration that we have in president trump a leader who has been taking steps every day to get this economy moving, to put the safety and security of the american people first, to roll back the kind of regulations that are stifling economic growth and on this immigration issue, the president was determin w
10:37 am
justice department, working with the department of homeland security to take executive action that would suspend immigration from countries that we know are compromised by terror, it was the right thing to do, the american people welcome it, and i truly do believe, i truly do believe as we go forward we will see the legal foundation of that affirmed by our highest courts. >> dickerson: would congressman mike pence thought these were niceties? let me move on to russia i will play a clip for you and an a interview president trump did with bill o'reilly that will appear during the super bowl and get your reaction of it. >> do you respect putin. >> the i respect putin. >> why? >> well i respect a lot of pep but that doesn't mean i am going to get along with him. he is a leader of his country. i say it is better to get along with russia than not, and if russia helps us in the fight against isis which is a major fight and islamic terrorism, all over the world, major fight, that is good thing. will i get along with him? i have no idea. >> dickerson: he is a killer, putin is
10:38 am
we have a lot of killers, do you think our country is so innocent. >> countries so innocent, do you agree? >> this is -- this is an enormously important moment in the, the role of our nation in a world stage because we now have a president who is reengaging a world from which america has been stepping back over the last eight years, and i have been talking to my counterparts in other countries and i will be traveling to the munich security council in a few weeks. what i consistently hear from counterparts around the world is how much they welcome the fact that president trump is reengaging on behalf of america's interests, leaders around the world in which you heard a in that quote was a commitment to explore the possibility of starting anew and looking for common cause with russia and with president putin, you also heard skepticism there, the president said he better get along with russia, maybe we won't. it is tode
10:39 am
the campaign. he is absolutely determined to explore ways particularly in confronting and destroying isis to work with russia and that is the spirit of those comments. >> dickerson: when you reengage the world you have to do it with a moral voice and he suggested there, i will quote from brent stevens on the "wall street journal" editorial page who tweeted president trump puts the united states on moral par with putin's russia, never in history has a president slandered his country like this. a president speaks with a moral voice when he is reengaging the country, he suggested that america was on the equivalent par with somebody who was a killer. >> i simply don't accept that there was any moral equivalency in the president's comments. look, president trump throughout his life, his campaign and in this administration has never hesitated to be critical of government policies by the united states in the past, but there was no moral give len city, what you heard there was a
10:40 am
determination to attempt to deal with the world as it is. let's start afresh with putin and to start afresh with russia. look, we face very, very serious dangers in the world. >> but -- >> that's why the united states in many ways has created a vacuum in the world as we backed away from the world stage. the american people see is president trump leaning into these relationships, bringing a healthy skepticism to all of it, particularly when it comes to russia but saying look if we can have a better relationship with russia and with putin and not get -- and not getting lost in the usual debates but to say we are going to take an honest effort. and advance america's interests in the peace and security of the world. >> dickerson: but this is a new debate. this is not an old debate, no one compared the united states to a killer in vladimir putin, this is not the first time the president has done this when he was a candidate on msnbc he was asked whether it was wrong for russia to kill journalists and he said quote i think our country does plenty of kilogra
10:41 am
when barack obama was in office he was criticized by conservatives for not praising american exceptionalism he never said anything on this par, did he? >> what i can tell you is there was no moral equivalency in what the president was saying. he was simply acknowledging that he has been throughout his life willing to be critical of government policies and government actions in the united states. but we recognize, we recognize the extraordinary superiority of the ideals of the american people and the implementation of those ideals,. >> dickerson: are, is america morally superior to russia. >> what we have in this new president is someone who is willing to, and is, in fact, engaging the world, including russia, and saying where can we find common interests that will advance the security of the american people, the peace and prosperity of the world and he is determined to come at that in a new and renewed way. >> dickerson: b
10:42 am
morally superior to russia yes or no. >> i believe the ideals that america has stood for throughout history represent the highest ideals. i was actually -- i was at independence hall yesterday and i snood the very room where the constitution of the united states was crafted, the very building where the declaration of independence was held forth, every american including the president represents the highest ideals of the world. >> dickerson: shouldn't we just be able to say yes to that question? >> i think it is without question, john. >> dickerson: that america is morally superior to russia? >> our ideals and, are officer wrote to countries all across the world, but again, what the president is determined to do is, as someone who spent a lifetime looking for deals is to see if we can have a new relationship with russia and other countries that advances the interests of america first and the peace and security of the world. >> dickerson: i have held you over your time, mr. vice president, thaou
10:43 am
>> thank you, john. >> dickerson: and we turn now to new jersey governor chris christie who joins us from his home in then ham, hello, governor i want to start with russia, you said in your campaign america is the strongest moral power for what is good and what is right in the world. given what president trump cash. >> i did. >> given what president trump said about vladimir putin is that consistent with your screw of america's moral voice in the world? >> listen, there is no question in any mind, in my mind that her america is the moral leader of the world, america has to set that tone, and we are going to continue to do that. i suspect through this administration's policies and our approach. so i have no question in my mind that america is morally enter record to russia, and i said that when i was running for president and i said it when i am asked here in new jersey and i am saying it to you this morning. >> and what do you make of the president's comments, not only the comparison on killers but also this question of respecting vladimir putin, who is the
10:44 am
person who is -- in the ukraine, who enter feared in american elections, who has basically broken apart russian democracy, what kind of signal does that send, given what you just said about merge's necessary moral voice in the world? >> well, john, listen, i have known the president for 15 years and i know exactly what he meant by those comments yesterday. he respects vladimir putin because he believes that the leaders of countries deserve to get treated with respect. he wants to be treated with respect around the world, and he believes vladimir putin should be. but it doesn't mean that he agrees with him. it doesn't 19 he won't fight him and it doesn't mean he won't stand up to him and as far as this back and forth with bill o'reilly, let me tell you, i had hundreds and hundreds of conversations with the president over the years. the president likes to volley back and forth with people and when she challenged he likes to challenge back but 0, the fact of the matter is i know president trump believes that america is morally superior to russia, i know he will stand up and be tough with vladimir putin, but i also know he believes that a world
10:45 am
other, the dialoguing, cooperating is a potentially safer world than one when we are constantly in conflict. >> dickerson: let me switch do this question about the president's executive order on immigration. do you think this judge has overreached in his ruling? >> i think the judge is wrong on this one, and i think the fact that you have a massachusetts federal judge disagreeing shows the resiliency and strength of our constitution. this is ultimately going to be resolved by the courts as it moves its way up and i want to say this. i think the president deserves great credit in moving from where he began in the campaign, which was a muslim ban, which i at the time said i completely disagreed with, the president has listened to experts and advisors over the court of time when he first made that statement to this executive order which is taylor and direct to try to deal with seven countries that are having a difficult time dealing with their own ability to control travel of their own people and policing of their own people. i would make it
10:46 am
i were advising the president on this directly, but the president's, has moved an incredible distance from a muslim ban to where he is now, and the fact is that the reason his opponents are able to attack him and i believe unfairly on the substance is because it was implemented in such a haphazard way in that first weekend, so the president deserves better. the policy is much, much better than where the president began during the campaign. i think that shows he is a president who is willing to listen to experts, willing to listen to advisors and willing to amend really positions in order to keep america safe and have us have good relationships around the world. >> dickerson: governor christie we will take a brief break here and pick up on some of the things you just said on the other side of the commercial, so stay with us.
10:47 am
withevery late night...g... and moment away... with every click...call...punch... and paycheck... you've earned your medicare. it was a deal that was made long ago, and aarp believes it should be honored. thankfully, president trump does too. "i am going to protect and save your social security and your medicare. you made a deal a long time ago." now, it's congress' turn. tell them to protect medicare. >> dickerson: and we are back with new jersey governor chris christie. governor, i want to talk to you about what you called the haphazard rollout of this. when you were u.s. attorneynd
10:48 am
muslim americans, because you are -- or at least i remember you explaining you need good relations in the muslim community help with law enforcement and connections to do the business that law enforcement has to do. do you think there is any damage in the way this was rolled out, presented, not really explained that affect that portion and views in the muslim american community? >> well, listen, i think that you know you said earlier in your questions to the vice president, you know, there, they need to start over, i don't think there is a need to start over but i do think there is a need for the administration to make sure they are very, very clear on this. i know the real estate's heart on this. the president has absolutely have, absolutely no hate in his heart for muslim americans, in fact, the exact opposite. this is a president who has great affection for all americans who are here working hard, raising their families and contributing to the fabric of our society, including muslim americans. but this is what happens when things are
10:49 am
right way from the beginning, and are not implemented in a way that respect it is process and is very careful about it and that's why i said earlier in the week that the president was not well served by this. now this means he has to go out and the administration needs to go out and make sure that they make his point of view clear, but -- the american people -- well, who knows, i am not inside the white house and this isn't about assigning blame. this is about making sure it is done the right way and and so in the end, i believe the president .. deserved better and because i know his heart, and i know what the president wants more than anything else. he wants to keep the american people safe and secure. and that's all the american people, whether you are christian, jewish, muslim or any other religion that we have, listen, john, i am the governor of the most ethnically diverse state in this country, and i understand that everybody has case and concerns, not only about their own ethnicity, their own religious calling but also about everyone else in america and
10:50 am
that's what the president is trying to do here. i believe in his heart on this one. >> dickerson: but let me ask you again about, you know, we talked about his heart but also said this is haphazard which suggests some fallout, you are not without insight in the way he works and at that people around him work. so i am going to try you again on this, whose fault is it and why did it happen? you are not -- you haven't, you have an answer a in your head, tell it to us. >> john, i am glad to see you have esp going for you this morning. the i don't have an answer in my head, john, because i wasn't there. i don't know who the president made responsible, the president has a structure inside the white house with three folks who are predominantly in charge of operations at the white house. mr. bannon, mr. kushner and mr. priebus, so i can't read minds who is primarily responsible for this but that doesn't matter. .. that's the washington game of who are we going to blame? i think anyone who looks at this knows it could have been and should have been done better. we just see people with green
10:51 am
this department happen the right way. so if you do have that name and you have read my mind, john, you say it. >> i don't have it but i do have a commercial i have to go to. governor, thank you so much for being with us. >> john, happy to be on. you have a good super bowl sunday. >> dickerson: you too. >> i don't know. $6.95 per trade? uhhh- and i was wondering if your brokerage offers some sort of guarantee? guarantee? where we can get our fees and commissions back if we're not happy. so can you offer me what schwab is offering? what's with all the questions? ask your broker if they're offering $6.95 online equity trades and a satisfaction guarantee. if you don't like their answer, ask again at schwab.
10:52 am
10:53 am
[bullfighting music] [burke] billy-goufat rfians. seen it. covered it. we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪ no. >> dickerson: joining us now from houston, texas the site of super bowl li is the executive director of the nfl players association, demaurice smith. mr. smith, welcome, i want to ask you about the affordable care act the president has said he is going to repeal and replace it. what is the players union concern about that? >> our concern, john, is pretty simple one. we have a 100 percent injury rate in the national football league. and so every player leaves the national football league with a preexisting condition so one of the things we would be concerned about is literally hundreds of players would be going into retirement with a tougher and
10:54 am
impossibility to get insurance because every one of them has a preexisting condition. >> dickerson: and what is your feeling about the way things are going forward and what might happen to those with preexisting conditions? >> well, i think like every american, you hear on the front end that there is a plan, i think that it is our duty because he is the president of the united states to find out what that plan is. hopefully, that is a plan that won't bar people who have preexisting conditions, but right now, as we are aheading into super bowl week i can tell you that las last year we had at 4900 reportable injuries in the national football league and we have about 1,800 players who play. >> dickerson: let me ask you about one of those injuries, concussions, the president when he was on the campaign trail made a joke about concussions in the nfl, saying the rules are now quote unquote soft. how do you deal with that, that there is this perception out there with some or at least among the president that the rules have gotten too
10:55 am
>> well, i mean, i don't know exactly when you say who that perception is coming from, i mean, obviously my hope is that the president enjoys football and if he wants to find out just how shot the game s he can come down to the sideline and watch a game and hear the collisions and watch our players and certainly he could swing by any team on a monday and see how our players feel. i think more importantly than us, you know, sparring over words, over whether the game has gotten too soft or not is, let's just embrace the fact it is super bowl sunday, it is a game everybody locals, i know beyond a shadow of a doubt our players want to play but i also know at the end of the day, every one of our players on every one of our teams is going to suffer an injury, and some of those injuries are going to be concussions, some of those are going to lead to long-term consequences and the it seems to me that for an industry that generates
10:56 am
year, our job should be trying to keep our players as safe as possible, and certainly creating a world where they can afford insurance after they leave the game. >> dickerson: and briefly in 30 seconds what is your view on athletes, football players speaking out about politics? should they? should they use their voice or stay quiet? >> of course they should speak out. i mean, i have yet to find a football player that gives up his first amendment right the moment that he puts on a jersey. if it is something that a mary wants to talk about, i think that is fantastic, if it is something that a player doesn't want to talk about, i think that is fantastic. you know, what i expect from our men is that they are men, businessmen in the business of football, that they love their community, that they are blessed to live in this country. >> dickerson: mr. smith, thank you, we are going to have to leave it there. have a fun time at the game,e w will be right back in a moment. >> consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan
10:57 am
like any of these types of plans, it could help you with out-of-pocket medical costs. call now and request your free decision guide and explore the range of aarp medicare supplement plans. start gathering the information you need... to roll into sixty-five with confidence.
10:58 am
>> and we will be right back with a lot more "face the nation". stay with us.
10:59 am
11:00 am
>> dickerson: welcome back to "face the nation", i am john dickerson, tonight tom brady and the new england patriots take on matt ryan's atlanta falcons. it has been, it is the ninth super bowl for the patriots and the second for the falcons, their last appearance was in 1999. james brown, cbs news special correspondent and the host of the nfl today joins us. it is so great to have you here on a sunday. let's start with the falcons. it has been a while since they have been there. what is the game going to be like for the falcons? >> trawl, they come in offensively potent. matt ryan has had an mvp type season for sure which is award he got, look, if they can just get off to a quick start, get a lead, then they will be in good shape because new england is excellent at defusing any kind of confidence they come in with, but i am expecting a competitive game. >> dickerson: and what about defense facing the newla
11:01 am
offense? >> the offense of the new england, doesn't get as much credit as it should, but the defense of the falcons, young guys who really had matured throughout the season, i think they are -- on a defense, the right frame he brings about, 15 years of experience to the table, three super bowl appearances, i think he will have them in a good at a attitude natural shape. >> dickerson: so if the falcons are new to this, it is old hat for the new england patriots, how did that help for the patriots, the fact they have been to this dance before? >> the good thing is that they weren't complacent but that is because of bill belichick, he wouldn't tolerate that anyway. it is interesting john in an era of design parry in the national football league, they are the kingpins, i would imagine there are going to be a number of people tuned in to see the giants slade as well too, but, slayed too, but tom brady leads the charge on the field, immensely confident and with a huge chip on the shoulder. >> dickerson: and
11:02 am
does he have a good, big chip on his shoulder? >> he had to take a four-game suspension at the top of the season implicated in the deflate-gate investigation, if you will. and he still maintains his innocence, so many people, looking at the saga between tom brady and the commission tore see as a my good friend was saying whether he will be up on the podium to get the award from roger goodell at the end. >> dickerson: that's right so he is looking for a ring and a little vindication. tell me also about the owners of these two teams. is there, they are a little bit different than other nfl owners. >> but the common thread is, they are both excellent guys. look, arthur, to be bringing some 500 of his employees to the game speaks to the kind of management style that he has, leadership style, which is just awesome. and the players echo that as well too that mr. blank doesn't micromanage, he leaves the job to guys who are running the team. bob kraft, look, he knows not only the top people in his organization but he knows the
11:03 am
receptionist and all of his businesses, he knows their families, they are really involved from a very personal standpoint, and it paid dividends in terms of success on the field. >> dickerson: we now have a president who once owned a football team in his past. what do you -- we don't know who donald trump's pick is for the team, do we. >> we could probably pick who his pick is for the game. herschel walker was one of his big highs when he ran the generals or the -- so i would think because of the relationship that he, president trump has with bob kraft and it is a close relationship, i would think he is leaning in the direction, and although bill belichick the head coach of the patriots and tom brady haven't talked about it publicly, they are very strong president trump supporters as well, so i don't think the patriots, that is his choice. >> dickerson: they have been trying not to talk about politics this week. it is great to have you. >> continued success by the way. >> dickerson: thank you, sir. and we will be right back.
11:04 am
11:05 am
>> dickerson: and now for some political analysis. ruth marcus is a columnist and the deputy editorial page editor of the "washington post". ramesh ponnuru is a senior editor for the "national review", and a columnist for bloomberg view. we are also joined by amy walter, national editor of the cook political report, and "time" magazine's michael duffy who is the deputy editor, michael i want to start a with you, what kid we learn about the trump, what have we learned about the trump presidency from this now more than week long saga of the executive order on immigration? >> i think there are a couple of take aways, john, the first is that this is a white house that was keen from the start to
11:06 am
no matter the cost to perhaps its reputation and even our alliances, and it is a white house where there are a high number of people with un fettered access to the president which means there are decisions that are made quickly, sometimes in secret, and not with the advice of all of the advisors perhaps that are needed which is not necessarily a formula for success. it is a white house where there is unusual amount of finger pointing and credit taking, both by the white house aides and the president's family, members of the family which suggest they are not all on the same page, and finally after two weeks, they are yet to have a decision process, tweeting president -- i will say one more thing, the u.s. government is perhaps the largest single enterprise in the world, has billions of dollars, billions in lots of country, everyone's life is affected by it, its reach is vast. it is not built for improv. it is a system that needs a -- it is an enterprise that needs a decision making system that is
11:07 am
transparent at the very least to those who are expected to execute the policies, and ideally those of us subject to them. we will find out this week whether the changes they say they have put into place last week are actually making a difference. >> dickerson: so much to unpack there. ruth, what do you make of the -- of where things are legally the at the moment? >> things are legally where they should be, which is in the courts before now a so called appeals court, i'm sorry, i couldn't reduce that, and we are going to do what we need to do in america, which is to find out, to test the legality of this, and come to a conclusion. but whatever conclusion is reached by the courts and i am assuming that donald trump administration after it finishes tweeting will comply with the rule of law, i think ther therea lot of fallout here. mike talked about how you can't run the government by improv, and vice president pence pens talked about washington niceties. these aren't just washington niceties, they are questions t
11:08 am
lasting damage here in his relationships with congress .. in his relationship with the country, which you hear terrible stories of people needing medical treatment being denied, in the relationship with his court, in his relationship with the world. and a more fundamentally, the 11 of the week to me is that we have a president who fundamentally is not understanding the role of courts, this tweet about so-called judges was not just, you know, something that we should ignore, and he doesn't understand the role of america as it has his historicalcally been in the world as a beacon of hope and welcoming place for rev geez. >> ramesh, mike pence said he didn't see it as a question of the legitimacy calling him a so-called judge, are we making too much of that in the president's reaction to this .. >> well, i think that president trump has put the vice president in a difficult situation, and i
11:09 am
the vice president can expect going forward. clearly he did question the legitimacy of the judge, and one of the other things we learned about this administration from this episode that shouldn't be a great surprise is that it is quickly and defensive when it faces opposition. when it is criticized, that it is not capable of explaining itself very well and i think we have seen that over the course. and one other thing is that this administration is very, very concerned about keeping some of its promises and what i think is interesting about this order is that it seems like less of an attempt to protect the country than to make good on campaign rhetoric by president trump in a way that is a little bit more defensible legally than his initial call to just ban all muslims. if you were starting out trying to figure out the policy that there is a rational relation to national security without that previous
11:10 am
that you would have landed here. >> dickerson:. >> that's right. and the cato ins zoo it has looked into the actual terrorism as a result of refugees and found i think the chances refugee they put in one in three, one in 3.1 billion that a refugee would create a problem. so this is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. the congress on the hill thought the policy was fine but not justifies advertise what one republican said to me if he just made a few calls they could have avoided hurting the very things that donald trump wants to promote. >> i think this relationship between donald trump and republicans is going to be fascinating. we knew it coming in to this campaign. we watched the dance between conservatives and trump, republicans and trump throughout, and now that dance is going to continue in congress. but here is what we know is happening with voters is that despite the fact this president comes in with the lowest approval rating of any president
11:11 am
he has got almost universal support from republicans, 90 percent approval ratings from republicans. most of these republicans on capitol hill are in districts donald trump carried. only a few republicans sit in a district he didn't win. one senator in 2018 sits in a state he didn't win. their concern politically, they have other concerns but the political concern, they want to win reelection is to make sure those people that they need to support them, the voters who sit in those districts, who like donald trump continue to support them in primaries, where they could be challenged by someone to the right if they feel like that member of congress isn't adequately supporting donald trump, and to, 0 so this is what we are watching for, will there be those breaks between the president and his party, it is hard to see those breaks happening when you have a 90 percent approval rating from the very people who go out and vote for those candidates. >> but amy, we have already seen some. we saw two republican senators say this week they woun'
11:12 am
support his education secretary, we saw on the record criticisms from people like senator rob portman about the rollout of the immigration order. so i think that -- >> you write about the basic impetus of people to support, but it is going to be a big mess. >> dickerson: staying on this, ramesh, president trump said he would come to washington and be a disrupter, blow things up. if i am paying some attention, but not watching every turn of this and i look at what is happening in washington and i am a supporter of president trump's aren't i happy as can be that people are, you know, unhappy here and fidgeting there and got their nose out of joint over here? isn't that the basic where, what this all boils down to? >> a lot of people make the point that this president is more unpopular than previous presidents at this stage of the presidency, where usually a president is enjoying a honeymoon with the public. but the flip side of that is, he has got his core support, in
11:13 am
him popular, but nothing he is doing is threatening his approval from those voters who are his core support. i was going to stay the discomfort in the mass is all to the good in their world view, don't forget, this is a, beliefs in disruption. >> dickerson: let me follow up on this with you, michael, you mentioned improv, on the cover of type, this week, there is a way, though, or give me your sense about this, which is that there are realities that do, when you have other members of the administration looking over their shoulder, you talked about the leaks, people getting kind of attacked in the president press by blind quotes, talk a little bit about where this can get in the way of what an administration tries to do. >> well, one of the things i was trying to say earlier is there has to be some kind of internal transparency so everyone knows what they are doing. some were caught off guard by this and they look down the road and say how many times will this happen to me before i have to leave? these are private conversations going on at a v
11:14 am
because they are worried it won't be -- the even where the policies they are executing fit with their campaign rhetoric which i think is a great point or done in ways that make refugees enjoying a 45 percent support in the public, there are simple matters of whether you can keep an administration moving forward on a broader agenda if you don't loop them all in at the start. so they will have to do that and also have to learn there will be disagreements at the highest levels that they will have to work through. and some of these people who are as michael alluded to, general matusz, general kelly, secretary tillerson over at the state department, i guess i shouldn't call them generals anymore, they are now secretaries, i apologize, these are big figures who have their own reputations, and who the administration relies on for those power for reputation. they are some of the ones that are in conflict with this. >> indeed. and i think we are going to see going forward the degree to which they are willing to tolerate this kind of improv process that puts
11:15 am
difficult position going forward. and so i think you are going to -- you saw from the white house this week a conversation about how they were going to need to put a more orderly process in place. donald trump set this up, by the way, by putting steve bannon and reince priebus, the chief of staff in the chief strategist, explicitly equivalent levels, every president in every white house learned that lesson that doesn't work, you need to have a chain of command. >> anybody who ever what happened the campaign, versus how the campaign existed too, it was always a sense of chaos or -- >> that's right. everything was about if we learned anything throughout the course of 2016 into 2017, donald trump, is donald trump, is donald trump, that is not going to change. you know, one of the other substitute promises of the campaign is i am going to run the government like a business, and he brought into the most senior positions generals and ceos who believe in a chain of command, thrived in the chain of command, rose through a chain of commso
11:16 am
reinstate something if he wants to keep them. >> dickerson: and who many people thought would help him reign in his impulses those people. we will take a quick break here and be right back and talk about the supreme court, things overseas, a lot more, stay with us. bp gives its offshore teams 24/7 support from onshore experts, so we have extra sets of eyes on our wells every day. because safety is never being satisfied. and always workingbe to better.
11:17 am
did you know 90% of couples disagree on mattress firmness? enter sleep number... she likes the bed soft. he's more hardcore. you can both adjust the bed for the best sleep of your life. right now, save 50% on the ultimate limited edition bed. go to sleepnumber.com for a store near you.
11:18 am
>> dickerson: and we are back with more from our political panel, amy, i want to start with you. we talked about some ragged edges of the trump presidency, but one that didn't seem to be -- what went well is naming of the supreme court pick, kept it quiet, picked a lot of conservatives like -- do you see it that way? >> yes, and it got a great reception on television, good rating, president loves getting good ratings. this is -- when i talked about this dance this is another part of the dance, right? if you are going to have members of congress that complain about the mess since and, messiness with the rollout and even a some of the issues they may not agree with that a the president is pushing forward .. but then it seems that almost minutes later he is able to present them with something that they desperately want, like regulatory reform, a conservative supreme court justice so they are going to be constantly tested, are they going to wait for a tax reform bill but we have to go through all of this other stuff that
11:19 am
and maybe it is more disreceive that we want, dismissive, disreceive that da .. that we want it to be, so that is going to be a constant cross pressure on these members. >> dickerson: i am going to ask you and get your reaction and throw this in as well, isn't this pick .. the culmination of a very cage situate and smart moafl by mitch mcconnell long ago when president obama had a chance to nominate somebody mitch mcconnell said, no way, donald trump, then candidate donald trump, president trump said during a debate, he said the message to mitch mcconnell is delay, delay, delay. that meant whoever the republican nominee was was going to be somebody who everybody voting for them knew was going to pick the choice on the court and it kept liberals from having another seat on the court. so in retrospect, that was quite a move by the senate majority leader. >> absolutely. and it was a move that faced a lot of second-guessing at the time, particularly at times when clinton was way ahead of trump in the polls, a lot of republicans were saying, maybe we should just confirm garland, obama's nominee because
11:20 am
may put in somebody more liberal and it turned out that not only did that not happen but the supreme court vacancy was probably an issue that helped propel trump to victory. the exit polls do suggest that the supreme court was more of a motivating factor for trump voters than it was for clinton voters. ruth, will the court, presuming that -- or assuming for a moment for the purpose of this questions that judge gorsuch gets on the court will it be more conservative than when scalia was on the court or the same or what is your thinking? >> there will be some really wonky changes involving how deferential to be to administrative agencies and that will depend on whether you are reviewing the more or less conservative -- whether you are reviewing an obama administration order or a trump administration order. i think that the importance of this nomination, we all kind of know how it is going to end as you suggested, is kind of what happens in the chapters leading up to the conclusion of him being nominated, because that will tell us
11:21 am
going to be a sequel, because that is the really important thing here, whether justice kennedy would choose to retire as he may be tempted to do, whether -- what happens if another justice -- liberal justice who really could change the balance of the court in a much more significant way than justice gorsuch would, and there is a lot of moving pieces here that have to do with whether the nuclear option will be triggered and people will be confirmed with justice -- >> dickerson: talking about that, the nuclear option, the republican leader on the republican side, breaking a democratic filibuster if there is one, how do you see it playing out? >> yes, well, i think ruth handled the question, he will eventually get in. the nuclear option is tricky for the democrats, it is tough. their base is dying for blood, they would really like to see gorsuch what they did to garland and see this group of democratic leaders, who is not particularly
11:22 am
heavily left put up a fight and especially with all of the folks, the left on the street and the protest es that emerged after the trump election, and those fighting the deport sphuch is a basic litmus test and that is usually complicated for not just nancy pelosi in the house but in the senate because they are facing this question coming on taxes, and on spending, and on trade, they are going to have to decide over and over again whether to fight even if they can't win. >> and really, i am sorry to interrupt you, it is not really a question for them, because their base is going to demand it, but i think that the question of the nuclear option isn't just complicated for democrats, it is not necessarily in their interests to play it but it may be inevitable. it is the problem for republicans because justice kennedy, all eyes on justice kennedy as he watches this, does he really want to be, set off this kind of confrontation if he leaves. >> does he really want a nominee who would only take 51 votes for confirmation to succeed him. >> dickerson: and in
11:23 am
the republicans -- >> there is also a division as to whether the rules should be changed and i do not believe there is currently a majority in the senate for changing the rules, that's one of the reasons mcconnell cash. >> dickerson: to break the filibuster and go the nuclear option. >> that could change as this process moves forward. it may be that republican senators and republican voters, are sufficiently enraged by democratic obstruction, democratic fill busters that votes materialize, but that is something i think mcconnell is very mindful of, in addition to his own concerns institutionally about changing the rules. >> dickerson: is there anything, amy, that chuck schumer could get by pushing this, using this as a bargaining chip, knowing he is going to essentially not be able to block the, block the nomination or block the confirmation, but -- >> but hoping -- you certainly get a medal for good behavior, and mitch mcconnell will say -- that is why it is interesting to me to hear folks say, well deposits democrats shouldn't go all in on this one, let the vote come down, you are basically just replacing one conservative with another. yove
11:24 am
next one. and if mitch mcconnell wrote the nuclear option at the next one, he has than opportunity to do it at two points. >> dickerson: ramesh what is your view, we will switch quickly to russia, what do you make of president trump's comments to the bill o'reilly. >> vice president pence said there is no moral equivalence that trump was drawing between the united states and russia. you could have fooled me, it sure sounded as though that was exactly what trump was saying and it is what trump has said before and it is really an astonishing comment for a president of the united states to make. if you think about the thing conservatives complained about from president obama in terms of allegedly apologizing for country, this is much, much -- this is magnitude worse. >> dickerson: and happening in the context of the last week of the russian or ukraine separatists depending, skirmishing in eastern ukraine which has been basically dormant for two years, so these comments coming about our view of russia
11:25 am
how to proceed with the former soviet blocks blocks states. and the previous am bass for to the united states said the dire situation in eastern ukraine demands strong condemnation to russia, that is one message from one part of the government. who do yo you may attention to, the president or the u.n. ambassador? >> i pay attention to the president because me is the head of this government. i agree with everything ramesh said, it is unimaginable that a president of the united states would say this, and i would also point to the very lukewarm readout that was given of the president's conversation with head of the ukraine, it was a conversation about border conflict. it is not a border conflict. there is a border conflict -- >> there is no border anymore. >> dickerson: quickly. >> also a president who explicitly ran saying i did not support the iraq war, i think we are spending way too much type -- he is willing to criticize american foreign policy
11:26 am
throughout, i would not be surprised if it continues. >> dickerson: thanks to all of you and we will be back in a moment. >> how long until impact? less than a minute. what do you want to do, sir? listen carefully... if we all switch to geico we could save 15% or more on car insurance. i like the sound of that. geico. because saving fifteen percent or more on car insurance is always a great answer.
11:27 am
fios is not cable. we're wired differently. which means we can deliver equal uploads and downloads. welcome to 8 and a half maple street. it's half a house. and even though it only has half a kitchen, half the closet space and a half bath, it's a full house to the wilsons. because they have fios, their half house has full internet, with uploads as fast as downloads. don't pay for uploads that aren't up to speed. get 150 meg internet, tv and phone for only $79.99 per month online for one year. only from fios.
11:28 am
>> dickerson: that's it for us today. thank you for watching. be sure to join us next week. we will have our first look at what some of those who voted for president trump think of the administration's efforts so far. until then, from "face the nation", i am john dickerson. captioning sponsored by cbs captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org
11:29 am
11:30 am
>> announcer: the following is a paid advertisement for tai cheng, brought to you by beachbody. >> wow, joy, look at these people! they love you! [ cheers and applause ] thank you! it's regis, joy, and i've got big news for you. if aches, pains, and poor balance are slowing you down, keep watching this show because we're gonna tell you about an incredible new program that's gonna fix everything. [ cheers and applause ] yeah! >> announcer: the facts are frightening. 1 out of 3 people over 65 fall each year, resulting in expensive hospital stays, loss of independence, or worse. >> i broke my hip. "oh, my god. what in the world am i going to do now?" >> announcer: the major cause -- aches and pains, which lead to immobility and poor balance. >> i am really afraid of falling again. >> announcer: but falling and losing your independence doesn't have to be a fact of life. did you know medical experts around the world have been

64 Views

1 Favorite

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on