🎥 Video player based on MPlayer/mplayer2
- External links
- System requirements
- FFmpeg vs. Libav
- FFmpeg ABI compatibility
- Release cycle
- Bug reports
- Relation to MPlayer and mplayer2
mpv is a media player based on MPlayer and mplayer2. It supports a widevariety of video file formats, audio and video codecs, and subtitle types.
Releases can be found on the release list.
- A not too ancient Linux, Windows 7 or later, or OSX 10.8 or later.
- A somewhat capable CPU. Hardware decoding might help if the CPU is too slow todecode video in realtime, but must be explicitly enabled with the
- A not too crappy GPU. mpv is not intended to be used with bad GPUs. There aremany caveats with drivers or system compositors causing tearing, stutter,etc. On Windows, you might want to make sure the graphics drivers arecurrent. In some cases, ancient fallback video output methods can help(such as
--vo=xvon Linux), but this use is not recommended or supported.
For semi-official builds and third-party packages please seempv.io/installation.
There is no complete changelog; however, changes to the player core interfaceare listed in the interface changelog.
Changes to the C API are documented in the client API changelog.
The release list has a summary of most of the important changeson every release.
Changes to the default key bindings are indicated inrestore-old-bindings.conf.
Compiling with full features requires development files for severalexternal libraries. Below is a list of some important requirements.
The mpv build system uses waf, but we don't store it in therepository. The
./bootstrap.py script will download the latest versionof waf that was tested with the build system.
For a list of the available build options use
./waf configure --help. Ifyou think you have support for some feature installed but configure fails todetect it, the file
build/config.log may contain information about thereasons for the failure.
NOTE: To avoid cluttering the output with unreadable spam,
--help only showsone of the two switches for each option. If the option is autodetected bydefault, the
--disable-*** switch is printed; if the option is disabled bydefault, the
--enable-*** switch is printed. Either way, you can use
--disable-** regardless of what is printed by
To build the software you can use
./waf build: the result of the compilationwill be located in
build/mpv. You can use
./waf install to install mpvto the prefix after it is compiled.
./bootstrap.py./waf configure./waf./waf install
Essential dependencies (incomplete list):
- gcc or clang
- X development headers (xlib, xrandr, xext, xscrnsaver, xinerama, libvdpau,libGL, GLX, EGL, xv, ...)
- Audio output development headers (libasound/ALSA, pulseaudio)
- FFmpeg libraries (libavutil libavcodec libavformat libswscale libavfilterand either libswresample or libavresample)
- iconv (normally provided by the system libc)
- libass (OSD, OSC, text subtitles)
- Lua (optional, required for the OSC pseudo-GUI and youtube-dl integration)
- libjpeg (optional, used for screenshots only)
- uchardet (optional, for subtitle charset detection)
- vdpau and vaapi libraries for hardware decoding on Linux (optional)
- gcc or clang, yasm on x86 and x86_64
- fribidi, freetype, fontconfig development headers (for libass)
- harfbuzz (optional, required for correct rendering of combining characters,particularly for correct rendering of non-English text on OSX, andArabic/Indic scripts on any platform)
- gcc or clang, yasm on x86 and x86_64
- OpenSSL or GnuTLS (have to be explicitly enabled when compiling FFmpeg)
- libx264/libmp3lame/libfdk-aac if you want to use encoding (have to beexplicitly enabled when compiling FFmpeg)
- For native DASH playback, FFmpeg needs to be built with --enable-libxml2(although there are security implications).
- For good nvidia support on Linux, make sure nv-codec-headers is installedand can be found by configure.
- Libav support is broken. (See section below.)
Most of the above libraries are available in suitable versions on normalLinux distributions. For ease of compiling the latest git master of everything,you may wish to use the separately available build wrapper (mpv-build)which first compiles FFmpeg libraries and libass, and then compiles the playerstatically linked against those.
If you want to build a Windows binary, you either have to use MSYS2 and MinGW,or cross-compile from Linux with MinGW. SeeWindows compilation.
FFmpeg vs. Libav
Generally, mpv should work with the latest release as well as the git versionof FFmpeg. Libav support is currently broken, because they did not add certainFFmpeg API changes which mpv relies on.
FFmpeg ABI compatibility
mpv does not support linking against FFmpeg versions it was not built with, evenif the linked version is supposedly ABI-compatible with the version it wascompiled against. Expect malfunctions, crashes, and security issues if youdo it anyway.
The reason for not supporting this is because it creates far too much complexitywith little to no benefit, coupled with absurd and unusable FFmpeg APIartifacts.
Newer mpv versions will refuse to start if runtime and compile time FFmpeglibrary versions mismatch.
Every other month, an arbitrary git snapshot is made, and is assigneda 0.X.0 version number. No further maintenance is done.
The goal of releases is to make Linux distributions happy. Linux distributionsare also expected to apply their own patches in case of bugs and securityissues.
Releases other than the latest release are unsupported and unmaintained.
See the release policy document for more information.
Please use the issue tracker provided by GitHub to send us bugreports or feature requests. Follow the template's instructions or the issuewill likely be ignored or closed as invalid.
Using the bug tracker as place for simple questions is fine but IRC isrecommended (see Contact below).
Please read contribute.md.
For small changes you can just send us pull requests through GitHub. For biggerchanges come and talk to us on IRC before you start working on them. It willmake code review easier for both parties later on.
Relation to MPlayer and mplayer2
mpv is a fork of MPlayer. Much has changed, and in general, mpv should beconsidered a completely new program, rather than a MPlayer drop-in replacement.
For details see FAQ entry.
If you are wondering what's different from mplayer2 and MPlayer, an incompleteand largely unmaintained list of changes is located here.
GPLv2 "or later" by default, LGPLv2.1 "or later" with
Most activity happens on the IRC channel and the github issue tracker.
- GitHub issue tracker: issue tracker (report bugs here)
- User IRC Channel:
- Developer IRC Channel:
To contact the
mpv team in private write to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Useonly if discretion is required.
To restore the repository download the bundle
git clone mpv-player-mpv_-_2018-07-05_19-34-09.bundle
Upload date: 2018-07-05
- 2018-07-05 19:34:09
- Internet Archive Python library 1.5.0
- iagitup - v1.2